DH Darien
    Tarp
    WB Edge/Superfly
    Insulation
    Burrow, Phoenix
    Suspension
    Whoopies

NY > Allegheny State Park > Questions

Is Allegheny State Park very welcoming when it comes to backpacking and primitive camping, or is it super restrictive like Letchworth State Park where they ask for your name, itinerary, licence plate #, shoe size, mother's maiden name, and credit score? Kidding (sorta) but they do ask for a ton of info for a simple backwoods camping trip.

Just curious if they're going to be super restrictive, or if I'd have more freedom, like in ANF.
    The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Sparrow
    Tarp
    Dutch Xenon Hex
    Insulation
    Loco Libre/HG/ EE
    Suspension
    Cinch buckles
    ASP is not where you want to go to have "freedom". Even backpacking on the NCT there is pretty restricted. If you're already there......just go a bit south to ANF and get yourself on the Tracy Ridge Trail if you want that.....or use their campground, which is spacious and dead silent.

Hammock
    DH Darien
    Tarp
    WB Edge/Superfly
    Insulation
    Burrow, Phoenix
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by Marmaduke View Post
    ASP is not where you want to go to have "freedom". Even backpacking on the NCT there is pretty restricted. If you're already there......just go a bit south to ANF and get yourself on the Tracy Ridge Trail if you want that.....or use their campground, which is spacious and dead silent.
    Stupid New York State, you're killing me with your restrictions.

Hammock
    Dutch Argon, wbbb, hammeck netty
    Tarp
    WB superfly
    Insulation
    UGQ TQ, HG UQ
    Suspension
    whoopee slings
    They do have a portion of the Finger Lakes trail/north country trail that goes through Allegheny I believe a little west of the camping area. There are also Three lean to's along that portion of the trail. You don't have to reserve or let them know you are going. You can get a Map through the FLT conference if you want and either have them mail you a copy or download a copy I think they are under $2 to download and it gives you mileage and access points. I've camped at a couple of the lean to's and they also had outhouses to use.

Hammock
    DH Darien
    Tarp
    WB Edge/Superfly
    Insulation
    Burrow, Phoenix
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by Philsweep View Post
    They do have a portion of the Finger Lakes trail/north country trail that goes through Allegheny I believe a little west of the camping area. There are also Three lean to's along that portion of the trail. You don't have to reserve or let them know you are going. You can get a Map through the FLT conference if you want and either have them mail you a copy or download a copy I think they are under $2 to download and it gives you mileage and access points. I've camped at a couple of the lean to's and they also had outhouses to use.
    I don't have to notify anyone I'll be hiking the trail or staying at the LTs? That is what I want!

Am I good to overnight park there without notifying anyone? Letchworth staff made me feel like a felon for not notifying them and reserving the LT's.

Hammock
    Dutch Argon, wbbb, hammeck netty
    Tarp
    WB superfly
    Insulation
    UGQ TQ, HG UQ
    Suspension
    whoopee slings
    I just checked my map and we parked at bay state rd and park entrance rd it also says ample shoulder parking. We left the car there for 3 nights didn't tell a soul and it was fine. Like I said if you download one the the FLT maps it has access area's and what type of parking is there. No permits or permission required.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Sparrow
    Tarp
    Dutch Xenon Hex
    Insulation
    Loco Libre/HG/ EE
    Suspension
    Cinch buckles
    When I did the NCT through ASP, I spoke with Park Rangers and they needed my license plate numbers and where I planned to park. I suppose you could get away with not doing this, but I made the mistake of talking to a ranger. haha.

Hammock
    Hennesy
    Tarp
    various
    Insulation
    pads, foam
    Images
    FWIW I think you will find similar conditions on the east side of Letchworth as the FLT runs through part of it. It has been years since I looked. If you want hiking check out the trail. If you want walk in and a primitive hang check the state game lands.

FWIW2 I can't blame the Rangers as their main problem is the folks who hike as far as they can carry the beer then party all night. Did that a few times when I was younger so I cannot condemn it but it really can get destructive so I see their point.
    YMMV

HYOH

Free advice worth what you paid for it. ;-)

Senior Member Pennsy Camp and Canoe's Avatar
    Hammock
    Dutchware 11' netless - Dark OG
    Tarp
    DIY 12' Winter hex
    Insulation
    LLG UQ, HG TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Cinch Buckle
    Images
    come to Pennsylvania, Tracy Ridge trail is just south of ASP, Morrison Trail a little further, once we've got you there you stary exploring the whole forest! I feel its obe of the mich overlooked gems in this region, mostly by us that live within an hour or two...

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Sparrow
    Tarp
    Dutch Xenon Hex
    Insulation
    Loco Libre/HG/ EE
    Suspension
    Cinch buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by Pennsy Camp and Canoe View Post
    come to Pennsylvania, Tracy Ridge trail is just south of ASP, Morrison Trail a little further, once we've got you there you stary exploring the whole forest! I feel its obe of the mich overlooked gems in this region, mostly by us that live within an hour or two...
    Tracy Ridge is awesome. Even the paid campground is fantastic, with giant well spaced out sites.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast