Hammock
    diy hexon 1.0
    Tarp
    DIY sil-argon
    Insulation
    HG TQ, UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie hooks
    Did an overnight there the last time the government shut down and the national forest was closed. Nice scenery. Didn't have to pay to park since we were hiking the NCT, but we did have to register. If you leave the car outside the park and hike in you can probably avoid all of that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I'd quote a certain book, but that is not allowed.

Hammock
    Dutch Argon, wbbb, hammeck netty
    Tarp
    WB superfly
    Insulation
    UGQ TQ, HG UQ
    Suspension
    whoopee slings
    Did the Tracy Ridge area to Handsome Lake 2 years ago during memorial day weekend. A good number of hikers Saturday and Sunday but hiking out Monday I saw nobody. I agree great area.

Hammock
    DIY Ultralight
    Tarp
    DIY Hex
    Insulation
    Down of Course
    Suspension
    Whoopies and CRL
    I spend quite a bit of time in ASP and ANF. Kayamping and hiking. Never had a problem with either state. So far I havn't met a PITA ranger, all have been helpful. I find PA more restrictive in regards to kayaks, but not excessively so. I just park out of the way in NY. They are making sure no abandoned car, crime etc. I do like the paid campgrounds in PA. Nice views and can get right down to the water.

Hammock
    Blackbird XLC Single layer 1.7
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Greylock 4
    Suspension
    buckle
    I did one overnight on 10-25-16. I stopped by the office to ask a few questions. Was told too camp on the North Country Trail. The lady at the desk took my car description, no plate #, not that it mattered. I parked in the park in part because there are the park police and I wanted my car there once I came out. Plenty of people in the cabins, but the trail looked empty since it is now cold.

I told her I'd be out one night, and she said if my car is there longer they will know there is a problem. I walked past the Stony Brook Lean 2 and the other, and camped near a stream further on. At about noon the next day a helicopter flew over head as I was packing.

The next trip I may park at the same spot, but head West on the trail and maybe cross over to Pennsylvania. I did not have to pay to get in the park or I would have gone to Tracy Ridge in the ANF to park and hike.
    Last edited by Boats 116; 10-27-2016 at 03:19.

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    Dutchware Hex Tarp
    Insulation
    HG UQ or DIY UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    I've had similar experiences, the rangers are great and they monitor parked cars within the park to make sure that hikers aren't in trouble, etc... Elsewhere along the trail at parking spots the sherriff's like to know that those aren't abandoned cars or whatever.

Another option would be to get a shuttle - you can contact the FLT Conference, and they can help you find a driver who will transit you from wherever you want to park your car to a trail head or other entry point - then you don't have to deal with the Rangers and you can hike back to your car or get a ride back once you're done hiking. Just be sure to pitch in with their fuel or entry fees into the park.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12