Tarp
    HG Standard
    Insulation
    Yeti/Diamond
    Suspension
    whoopies/buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Scoutmaster1056 View Post
    I am seriously looking at getting a cuben fiber tarp but I am not sure which one I want. I currently have a UGQ winter tarp so I am set for the winter but I am looking at something lighter for the rest of the year. If I hike a distance during the winter I use a Pulk so the extra weight is not an issue.

I was thinking about the hex which is listed at 5.3 ounces. Is there anyone that has or had the hex that regrets not getting the standard with doors? Does the hex have enough coverage during a moderate rain? I have onlu used my UGQ tarp so I have no experience with anything smaller.

The standard with doors is listed at 1.2 ounces more than the hex. The difference is not much so is it better to get the doors for the just in case scenario? I do have a 2QZQ underquilt protector that could be used with the hex.

Help me decide how much money to spend!
    Get the standard with doors. 1.2 oz is a small price for the assurance of doors and walls. I have one. It's worth it.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Rouskof View Post
    Anyone knows of a diamond CF tarp that would work with the BlackBird XLC ? It should be asymmetrical, right ?

Do you think it would fit under this one ? http://zpacks.com/shelter/hammock_tarps.shtml
    Why do you want an asym tarp? HG no longer even makes one. As for a diamond tarp, I'd personally stay away from that as well. Diamond tarps provide very little coverage from blowing precipitation. Besides, the difference between the zpacks asym (4.8 oz.) and the HG Hex (5.3 oz.) is a mere .5 ounces.

I previously owned an HG Standard with doors (6.5 ounces), but it did not provide the coverage from blowing precipitation that I wanted. I upgraded to the Winter Palace (8.6 ounces) and haven't been wet since.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    GE ; RR ; Vertex ; Tentsile
    Tarp
    HG Cubens W/ doors
    Insulation
    Yeti, Wookis, Lynx
    Suspension
    dyneema strap/ring
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    Why do you want an asym tarp? HG no longer even makes one. As for a diamond tarp, I'd personally stay away from that as well. Diamond tarps provide very little coverage from blowing precipitation. Besides, the difference between the zpacks asym (4.8 oz.) and the HG Hex (5.3 oz.) is a mere .5 ounces.

I previously owned an HG Standard with doors (6.5 ounces), but it did not provide the coverage from blowing precipitation that I wanted. I upgraded to the Winter Palace (8.6 ounces) and haven't been wet since.
    Yes, I know your opinion, and I thank you for providing it, but I wanted to be able to see the stars in no windy weather, pitching the diamond tarp high up, just as a protection against the morning dew. Figured I might carry both winterpalace and small diamond one. Also the concept of having only 4 guy lines is appealing.
    I already have a large tarp and I find it is really too much coverage when the weather is fine, it obstructs my view, and my whole point when I am hammock camping is to SEE what is around me from a higher perspective than if I was ground camping.
    Last edited by Rouskof; 10-18-2016 at 03:50.

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Oh I got SOOO close to pulling the trigger on an 11' hex today. Thru paypal and everything, just couldn't hit that last button.

Quote Originally Posted by markr6 View Post
    Oh I got SOOO close to pulling the trigger on an 11' hex today. Thru paypal and everything, just couldn't hit that last button.
    C'mon @oneclick, I know you have it in you. You won't regret it in the long run. Make sure to add the snakeskins for good measure
    Last edited by michigandave; 10-18-2016 at 12:47.

Like Offspring says..."you know you want to hit that"

Hammock
    Dutch Hexon 1.0
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Edge
    Insulation
    EE TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    2.2 Kevlar Straps
    Quote Originally Posted by Rouskof View Post
    Yes, I know your opinion, and I thank you for providing it, but I wanted to be able to see the stars in no windy weather, pitching the diamond tarp high up, just as a protection against the morning dew. Figured I might carry both winterpalace and small diamond one. Also the concept of having only 4 guy lines is appealing.
    I already have a large tarp and I find it is really too much coverage when the weather is fine, it obstructs my view, and my whole point when I am hammock camping is to SEE what is around me from a higher perspective than if I was ground camping.
    I understand this. IMO, CF isn't worth the money just to keep the dew off and to see the stars through the tarp. Just use snake skins and deploy before you go night night. You'll see all the stars you want in High Def.

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by skyjacker View Post
    I understand this. IMO, CF isn't worth the money just to keep the dew off and to see the stars through the tarp. Just use snake skins and deploy before you go night night. You'll see all the stars you want in High Def.
    I wouldn't (and don't) even use a tarp at all at that point. You just have to trust it will stay clear for the next 8 hours too! Sometimes you just know.

If you must, a smaller hex tarp in porch mode gives me enough of a view to enjoy.

Hammock
    Dutch Hexon 1.0
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Edge
    Insulation
    EE TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    2.2 Kevlar Straps
    I wouldn't (and don't) even use a tarp at all at that point. You just have to trust it will stay clear for the next 8 hours too! Sometimes you just know.

If you must, a smaller hex tarp in porch mode gives me enough of a view to enjoy.
    I'm the same. I just went on a two night trip a couple weeks ago. Weather forecast was clear. I took the lightest tarp I had just in case some sprinkles showed up. But I was 99% sure it wasn't going to rain and it didn't. Not a storm cloud in the sky. I left the tarp in my pack both nights. I guess I'm too chicken to risk the 1% chance or wouldn't have even carried a tarp. lol. There's a ton of options for a better view. Mine is not buying another small CF tarp.

Hammock
    GE ; RR ; Vertex ; Tentsile
    Tarp
    HG Cubens W/ doors
    Insulation
    Yeti, Wookis, Lynx
    Suspension
    dyneema strap/ring
    Images

Here I often have a lot of morning dew, even if the sky is clear, and you cannot really predict if it will happen or not, but there often is, and you can get soacked with it !

As for unfolding snake skins and pitching 4 stacks of a tarp in the dark, at the very last moment, just when you are about to fall asleep, I don't like that !

So I guess I'll just try it and sell it back to one of you here if it doesn't work

My plan is to take this asym and the winter palace and to look at the weather forecast before choosing which tarp to set up for the night, because when it is a clear and no wind, having this little asym high up above you must be quite nice, and if one thinks about it, there are many nights like that. Just want to try so I can say it works or it doesn't.

Also I really like the idea of having only one guy line to pay attention not to stumble upon in the night on the side I get out of the hammock, and this guy line will be in the center, so I probably won't even go there, whereas with a normal tarp, you cannot pass in the center, because the tarp is too low there, so you go towards the head end or foot end of your hammock to get out of here, and there you find a big tree trunk in front of you, so if you are conscious enough at that point, you manage not to hit it and you start going around it, but when avoiding the roots, you find there is this tarp guyline there you need to lift your leg quite high to pass, and that basically wakes you up completely. And the worse thing is you have to repeat to go to bed.

If I can skip tarp completely on a hot dry summer night, I surely do.
    Last edited by Rouskof; 10-18-2016 at 14:21.

• + New Posts
  • Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast