Tarp
    DIY Silpoly
    Insulation
    UGQ/DIY
    Suspension
    Whoopie/straps
    Images

Cuben Fiber Tarp - which one?

I am seriously looking at getting a cuben fiber tarp but I am not sure which one I want. I currently have a UGQ winter tarp so I am set for the winter but I am looking at something lighter for the rest of the year. If I hike a distance during the winter I use a Pulk so the extra weight is not an issue.

I was thinking about the hex which is listed at 5.3 ounces. Is there anyone that has or had the hex that regrets not getting the standard with doors? Does the hex have enough coverage during a moderate rain? I have onlu used my UGQ tarp so I have no experience with anything smaller.

The standard with doors is listed at 1.2 ounces more than the hex. The difference is not much so is it better to get the doors for the just in case scenario? I do have a 2QZQ underquilt protector that could be used with the hex.

Help me decide how much money to spend!

I jumped on the CF bandwagon after seeing a 12 foot HG w/doors in camo at group hang back in July (thanks Turkey for setting me down the path) and ended up with a case of tarp envy. So, I went ahead and pulled the trigger on a green 11' HG CF with the doors and tiebacks. The weight difference is minimal and as long as your spending the money, toss in a set of cuben snakeskins for good measure. Mine showed up on Friday and I spent part of my weekend playing in the backyard. FYI, I'm using it with a 10 foot SLD netted hammock and have plenty of room....tested it with my 11' Dutch with similar results.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    I think the Hex would be too small for me. I had the HG Standard and that was too small for me too - it did not protect me from blowing, sideways precipitation. I ended up getting the HG Winter Palace - I've never gotten wet from any precipitation.

While I do have "fair weather" tarps, they just don't get out much anymore. I'm not a weatherman, and I like the "one size fits all" properties of the Winter Palace.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    Dutchware 1.0 hexon
    Tarp
    Winter Palace
    Insulation
    Wilderness Logics
    Suspension
    Cinch buckles
    I started with a hex tarp but got rid of it, I wanted the doors to help keep the weather out. I have both standard with doors and the Winter Palace, I agree with SilvrSurfr I carry the Winter Palace I haven't touched the standard since I got the Winter Palace. Since you have the quilt protector the Standard may work fine for you.

Hammock
    11' Dutchware Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    LLG TQ/UQ 10*
    Suspension
    Dutchware Whoopies
    Assuming I like hammocking as much as I like backpacking I have already decided on the Winter Palace also...just seems to make the most sense: 1 oz more than the standard but with far more weather protection.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    HG Cuban
    Insulation
    HG,UGQ,EE, LL
    Suspension
    Whoopie, D-Bling
    Ive been loving the HG 11 foot cuban fiber with doors. Not a lot of rain in the Sierras so cant tell you how well it protects during windy rainy times... but size and pack size is fantastic! I would recommend getting the Mountain Goat Sleeves vs the Cuban fiber sleeves. The Cuban fiber sleeves themself are difficult to dry out, have to turn them inside out.

Hammock
    11' Dutch 1.6 Hexon
    Tarp
    HG cuben hex
    Insulation
    Incubator/Burrow
    Suspension
    cinch buckle
    I'm in the same boat as you. I have a 12' silpoly with doors for inclement, cold weather. 95% of the time I use my HG 12' cuben hex without doors. I find it just perfect. Been in decent rains and have stayed plenty dry. Love the simplicity of a hex tarp. It has to be wet AND cold for me to use the tarp with doors.

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Good info. I keep considering these but the lower packability and light-blocking is still holding me off, though.

Dave, what's the little house in the background?

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Sparrow #4280
    Insulation
    LocoLibreGear
    Suspension
    Whoopies w spiders
    Quote Originally Posted by Snydman View Post
    I would recommend getting the Mountain Goat Sleeves vs the Cuban fiber sleeves. The Cuban fiber sleeves themself are difficult to dry out, have to turn them inside out.
    I have been looking into the pros and cons of the Mountain Goat Sleeves over CF versions. The mesh will allow your tarps to dry out while packed on the outside of packs. Unless you are in to ultralight packing then I think Mountain Goat sleeves will be fine for my needs regardless of the tarp they are carrying.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Jedi hanger View Post
    I have been looking into the pros and cons of the Mountain Goat Sleeves over CF versions. The mesh will allow your tarps to dry out while packed on the outside of packs.
    The tarp won't dry out - just the small amount that is exposed to the air (which is pretty minimal). The rest of the tarp will be rolled up and won't get any air.

Quote Originally Posted by Snydman View Post
    The Cuban fiber sleeves themself are difficult to dry out, have to turn them inside out.
    I've been using the cuben fiber sleeves for a while. They've always dried out in an hour. I've never had to turn them inside out to get them dry. You just need a bit of a breeze.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast