Hammock
    11ft argon
    Tarp
    MacCat Ultra
    Insulation
    HG 20 incubator
    Suspension
    whoopies & huggers
    I'm a hiker that lives in Marietta and does 90% of my hiking in the southeast. I'm 5'10" and my feet get cold easily. I really try to find the lightest options possible and I obsessed about 3/4 vs full length for a while. I originally bought a hammock gear incubator 20 degree regular size. I used it in everything from 12 degrees to 60 degrees comfortably. I loved it but it seemed kinda voluminous in my pack. I debated trying a 3/4 but my naturally cold feet had me worried. In the end I ordered another 20 degree incubator but this time I got the short length plus 1oz overstuff in the foot box. It's perfect. If you live close enough, I'd be willing to let you try it out. Just pm me.

Hammock
    DIY - Single Layer and Clark TX-250
    Tarp
    Hen'sy Hex, Vertex
    Insulation
    AHE Jarbidge
    Suspension
    Varies
    Quote Originally Posted by johnspenn View Post
    My wife and I typically hike together. We've been up to the Cohuttas a couple of times, we love it there. I'm just a little younger than you at 49. We did a 30 mile stretch on the AT in three days, it was tough!

There are links in my signature to our blog, Facebook and Youtube pages if you're interested. Maybe we could get together for a conditioning hike at Kennesaw Mountain sometime.

You're lucky that your wife is interested in the sport. I talked my wife into going once. I carried all her stuff and planned a short 2.5 mile hike on dead flat terrain. I've never been able to get her to go again.

I did the 18 mile loop at Kennesaw two years ago in one day for conditioning. I started in the dark, got to watch the sun rise at the top of Kennesaw mtn and finished up about 3 pm. At the end of the day I was getting pretty tired. I'm not sure I could do it now - probably, but it would take longer and I'b be more tired. Its a great conditioning loop though.

Hammock
    DIY TCF Sage Green
    Tarp
    Noah's Tarp 12x12
    Insulation
    MAMW TQ, UGQ UQ
    Suspension
    webbing/whoopies
    Images
    I did that loop last December. I was DAWG tired by the end, and I'm not currently in shape for it. But there are a lot of shorter hikes, even just up the mountain and back is a good workout. My wife and I trained pretty regularly there for a couple of months, it's a great place nearby to get your trail legs!

Hammock
    Tarp
    Hen'sy Hex, Vertex
    Insulation
    AHE Jarbidge
    Suspension
    Varies
    Quote Originally Posted by dickstarbuck View Post
    I'm a hiker that lives in Marietta and does 90% of my hiking in the southeast. I'm 5'10" and my feet get cold easily. I really try to find the lightest options possible and I obsessed about 3/4 vs full length for a while. I originally bought a hammock gear incubator 20 degree regular size. I used it in everything from 12 degrees to 60 degrees comfortably. I loved it but it seemed kinda voluminous in my pack. I debated trying a 3/4 but my naturally cold feet had me worried. In the end I ordered another 20 degree incubator but this time I got the short length plus 1oz overstuff in the foot box. It's perfect. If you live close enough, I'd be willing to let you try it out. Just pm me.
    Thanks. I appreciate the offer. I'm actually happy with the jarbidge but its bulky. So buying a full length down probably wont solve my bulk problem. But I thought I'd ask people the pros and cons of each. I thought there might be some things I didn't think about.

Hammock
    11ft argon
    Tarp
    MacCat Ultra
    Insulation
    HG 20 incubator
    Suspension
    whoopies & huggers
    I have access to a regular and a short incubator, so if you change your mind just let me know.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Hen'sy Hex, Vertex
    Insulation
    AHE Jarbidge
    Suspension
    Varies
    Quote Originally Posted by goobie View Post
    How cold does winter get for you fellas in GA?? I would think a 3/4 would be fine in your neck of the woods.

Mid to upper teens above zero and I'm fine with a 3/4 and a sit pad in the footbox, which I always carry anyways. Below that and I use a full UQ, stacked with a 3/4 when it's way below zero.
    I'm from NW PA just south of buffalo, went to college in upstate new york and lived for years in chicago so I know cold. My coldest backpacking trip was in the 5-10 below zero range at night. I had a zero degree down bag and was actually pretty comfortable if I didn't move. That was the trip that I decided camping in cold weather is a choice and I choose not to go this extreme again.

But here its pretty pleasant in the winter. Mid to low teens is usually the coldest you'll see in the mountains. I generally try to backpack when the overnight temps wont be much below 30 degrees. A 3/4 length will probably work fine for me but before committing to the purchase I thought it would be helpful to see what others experiences have been, especially if they have both a full and 3/4.

Hammock
    WBBB DL 1.7/Mtn wilderness
    Tarp
    Mountain Wildernes
    Insulation
    WL tq HYOH uq
    Suspension
    WB straps
    Quote Originally Posted by goobie View Post
    How cold does winter get for you fellas in GA?? I would think a 3/4 would be fine in your neck of the woods.

Mid to upper teens above zero and I'm fine with a 3/4 and a sit pad in the footbox, which I always carry anyways. Below that and I use a full UQ, stacked with a 3/4 when it's way below zero.
    You have to realize...OUR cold is definitely not YOUR cold. Our blood runs thin, with no anti-freeze either. If its near zero here...we stay inside!

Hammock
    Tarp
    Hen'sy Hex, Vertex
    Insulation
    AHE Jarbidge
    Suspension
    Varies
    Quote Originally Posted by hutzelbein View Post
    So if I get it right, you're happy with your partial length synthetic underquilt and simply want to upgrade to down? If your short underquilt has served you well so far, I'd say get a down underquilt roughly the same size. Personally, I only use full-length underquilts because I sleep very cold and simply can't get comfortable with a partial length underquilt. But I would use a 3/4 underquilt if I could stay warm and if it meant saving weight and bulk.
    The jarbidge synthetic that I have is an odd size. Its between a 3/4 and full length. I am buying another quilt for several reasons. 1) the synthetic one is bulky 2) there are two of us in the family who hike and we own one underquilt. IF I get something else (I hike the most - my daughter sometimes hikes with me) it expands my flexibility of available gear. 3) a down quilt potentially will privide some weight savings.

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by dickstarbuck View Post
    I love the short, full-length Incubators. I'm 69" tall and the short versions are 74". Perfect!

I was also obsessed with the decision, and now own 3 fulls and one 3/4. The full-lengths still win. The extra weight isn't much. And the volume isn't bad either. If anyone is not able to pack that much more (not much) into their pack, I think they have bigger problems.

Hammock
    DIY 11ft Hammock
    Tarp
    3m x3m MYOG Camo
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Amsteel
    Well check out the beast
    Its actually a full diy top quilt that doubles as a massive underquilt, love the full length for winter, and 3/4 for autumn spring and summer.
    Tacblades

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast