Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by bamudd View Post
    If your feet get cold, and mine do, absolutely nothing will seal it properly. There is NO substitute for a sewn, properly insulated footbox (Hey George!), and I will never again buy a TQ rated below 40 without it. Below that, the whole open the quilt up thing is a gimmick you'll never use if you're actually using it at the appropriate temps.
    I agree and to add to this, the new pocket option on the LocoLibre top quilts that allow you to add the chemical foot/hand warmers is a great additional way to keep the feet warm.

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    dyi
    Insulation
    DIY
    Suspension
    Varies
    [QUOTE=TrailSlug;1677930]I agree and to add to this, the new poIicket option on the LocoLibre top quilts that allow you to add the chemical foot/hand warmers is a great additional way to keep the feet warm.[/QUOTE

Good idea for the chemical heat.
    My experience has been that the throw away heat packs get my hands dirty and anyplace I put them. I use the chemical reusable type that hot water recharges...One near my feet the other on my stomach (not gut).

Hammock
    Depends on the day
    Tarp
    HG Hex, WBSF, WLTP
    Insulation
    HG UQ / UDQ TQ
    Suspension
    Dyneema Straps
    Quote Originally Posted by Shug View Post
    I tightly wrap a cord around and around to cinch the end shut on my JRB Hudson River. Works great. No gap.
    Shug
    I do the same thing with my UGQ Flight jacket, I just take the cord that chiches the end down and wrap it just below the channel a few time to completely get rid of the hole.

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    DIY silpoly 11x10
    Insulation
    DIY down TQ, WL UQ
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    If your feet get cold, and mine do, absolutely nothing will seal it properly. There is NO substitute for a sewn, properly insulated footbox (Hey George!), and I will never again buy a TQ rated below 40 without it. Below that, the whole open the quilt up thing is a gimmick you'll never use if you're actually using it at the appropriate temps.
    Depending on where you are you can get pretty big swings on a trip. I do a 7 day canoe trip every August, and this year at the start of the trip we had lows near 70 and on night 6 we dropped to 38-39 degrees. I took my DIY down 20-30 degree quilt (haven't dailed in its definitive rating) with cinched and snapped foot box. I had it totally open at the start of the trip and cinched up warm at the end.

I'm glad I didn't bring my 40 degree and I'm doubly glad I have a cinched foot box on my quilt. It provides versatility. I should add that I've experienced swings like that from the Virginia mountains to Ontario.

Edit: I should also add that I wrap the shock cord tail around the cinch to close it!

Hammock
    11' Dutchware Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    LLG TQ/UQ 10*
    Suspension
    Dutchware Whoopies
    My EE Convert cinches down so tight at the end of the footbox the size of the hole is too small to notice, but then I bought the quilt too long for me and it probably just closes up on itself anyway. If there were an issue I would just shove one of my hiking shirts to the bottom of the bag.

The problem isn't just the hole though. Yes, you can close the hole off in various ways. The problem is that around the hole there is a thin area that's completely unavoidable in any design I've ever seen. You need, what, 2.5" for 20 degree rating? With a convertible foot box, you have a pretty big area of the foot end that's thinner than that. Cold sleepers or cold footed sleepers will suffer from that anywhere near their quilt's actual rating.

Hammock
    11' Dutchware Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    LLG TQ/UQ 10*
    Suspension
    Dutchware Whoopies
    The problem isn't just the hole though. Yes, you can close the hole off in various ways. The problem is that around the hole there is a thin area that's completely unavoidable in any design I've ever seen. You need, what, 2.5" for 20 degree rating? With a convertible foot box, you have a pretty big area of the foot end that's thinner than that. Cold sleepers or cold footed sleepers will suffer from that anywhere near their quilt's actual rating.
    I'm not quite sure what you mean by a "thinner area" but I don't have that problem...I almost have too much down there because what was spread out across the width of the quilt is sudden bunched up.

Tarp
    HG hex 1 grizzbeak
    Insulation
    EE Rev30
    Images
    My EE revultion closes tight but I can sleep better in the cool then the hot. A sock seems logical though.
    In the shadows

Quote Originally Posted by Monkeyboy42 View Post
    Depending on where you are you can get pretty big swings on a trip. I do a 7 day canoe trip every August, and this year at the start of the trip we had lows near 70 and on night 6 we dropped to 38-39 degrees. I took my DIY down 20-30 degree quilt (haven't dailed in its definitive rating) with cinched and snapped foot box. I had it totally open at the start of the trip and cinched up warm at the end.

I'm glad I didn't bring my 40 degree and I'm doubly glad I have a cinched foot box on my quilt. It provides versatility. I should add that I've experienced swings like that from the Virginia mountains to Ontario.

Edit: I should also add that I wrap the shock cord tail around the cinch to close it!
    Versatility ! that is why I got the cinch style foot box. I have one of Georges Loco Libre 20 top quilts and underquilts, I originally in-visioned unsnapping/uncinching the foot box to use as a top blanket in warmer weather, but the quilt is just WAY TOO WARM to even think about using in temps over 55-60. I think I need a 40* top quilt for warmer weather.....Very nice quilts BTW George ! Temps and comfort are very subjective, and didn't really know how it would feel to me since I was new to a down top quilt. Lesson learned.

Thanks, Joe
    Clarke Vertex with Z liners, Hammeck Envy S with Incubator 20*
    Custom Dutch Hammock 12' x 6' Double Hyper D ! My current daily sleep system !
    Custom SLD Tree Runner Double Hexon 12' x 6' Loco Libre 20* set
    SLD Tree Runner 12'

Hammock
    11 Ft Dutch Hexon 1.0 Sidezip
    Tarp
    12 ft HG Quest
    Insulation
    3/4 Phoenix20
    Suspension
    Spiderpolybeetles
    Now I'm confused.Did I dream it or did I not see Shug zip up a fleece jacket over the foot end of his hammock once for added warmth?Couldn't you stuff your foot end of your TQ inside a fleece or down jacket for more warmth?What am i missing here?(note,I have learned from experience that loose socks are important in cold weather)

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast