Hammock
    LSOH Warrior 11' Digi Woodland 1.9
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Fiber Hex
    Insulation
    EE TQ, HG UQ
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    Thanks for all of the replies. I knew registering here would be a good idea... good and quick info from users with experience.

I am about to pull the trigger on a Hammock Gear Burrow 20... long length, probably wide width (in case I ever go to ground with it), no overfill. I am 6' 180lbs.

As far as underquilt protectors go, is the general consensus that the 2QZQ is the "gold standard" for these? I ask because Hennessy does make undercovers as well, I could get one that fits my Expedition Zip hammock specifically, but if the 2QZQ is that good, I'll go with that, and it will also give me more options if I ever get a different hammock in the future.

Regardless of trying to push temperatures, I am going to look into an underquilt cover / protector simply for the fact that I have a (not exactly intentional) habit of camping in severe thunderstorms. Out of my past three trips, only one has been dry.

Hammock
    WBRR, DHTB
    Tarp
    WB Superfly, Mamba
    Insulation
    Down Quilts!
    Suspension
    Straps/buckles
    Images
    Just an FYI, I am 6'2" and about 180. A long is great but if trying to save weight, bulk, and cost, the standard is probably fine. Unless you want to have extra room in the feet area and cover your face. Also, wide is not needed....unless you plan to go to ground. But most of us never do once we start hanging.

Can't go wrong either way though.
    NJ Hammock Club Facebook Page - Come join the party!

Hammock
    12' SLD TL
    Tarp
    12' SLD TH/HG WP
    Insulation
    HG 20/40 sets
    Suspension
    Buckles 'n Straps
    I'm 6'5" and the long will cover my ears so if you don't want the extra material/weight I'd stick with the normal. The wide is nice if you toss and turn a lot, sleep on your side or go to ground or as it's more forgiving with it's coverage but again if you don't need it, save the weight.

Get a partial length 40* UQ for use in the summer, or even convert a costo down throw to a UQ, and stack them. That's the most effective way. Don't get a 0 UQ, get a 20 and a 40 and stack. More versatile that way.

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by bamudd View Post
    Get a partial length 40* UQ for use in the summer, or even convert a costo down throw to a UQ, and stack them. That's the most effective way. Don't get a 0 UQ, get a 20 and a 40 and stack. More versatile that way.
    I did this once with top quilts. Man, what a ridiculous amount of down! I was buried with my 40+20 Burrow. Got down to -5°F and I was fine. Way too much to manage IMO, and obviously not for backpacking but OK for car camping.

Hammock
    diy insulated 10.5
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    becket hitch
    +1 on making a simple costco TQ to supplement. It's light, warm, and cost effective. Also, a piece of reflectix under you on those cold nights makes a big difference.

I'm in NC with similar temps. I solid three season setup with the ability to supplement for the coldest nights is the strategy I've taken.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Crayons - they might look different, but they all taste the same

Quote Originally Posted by markr6 View Post
    I did this once with top quilts. Man, what a ridiculous amount of down! I was buried with my 40+20 Burrow. Got down to -5°F and I was fine. Way too much to manage IMO, and obviously not for backpacking but OK for car camping.
    I mean, if you're hardy enough to backpack in sub 10 weather, it's less weight and bulk than an equivalent sleeping bag . . .

Hammock
    DH Darien/DIY
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    JrB, HG, WL
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    UQ protector can help add some warmth as you will only be as warm as your UQ allows.

I zip my jacket or vest and put over my footbox of my TQ when my feet get cold. Feet are normally the first thing to get cold on me so that also gets me a few more degrees than just my TQ alone. Extra stuffing can help if you are buying a new quilt.

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    DIY cuben fiber
    Suspension
    whoppie slings/MSH
    Quote Originally Posted by Nodust View Post
    UQ protector can help add some warmth as you will only be as warm as your UQ allows.

I zip my jacket or vest and put over my footbox of my TQ when my feet get cold. Feet are normally the first thing to get cold on me so that also gets me a few more degrees than just my TQ alone. Extra stuffing can help if you are buying a new quilt.
    Second the jacket over the footbox - but zipped up is a little constrictive for me. Wonder if anyone's ever put snaps or buttons on the jacket and TQ to hold it in place.

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by bamudd View Post
    I mean, if you're hardy enough to backpack in sub 10 weather, it's less weight and bulk than an equivalent sleeping bag . . .
    No way. I use my 0° set now. Does just fine.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast