Hammock
    LSOH Warrior 11' Digi Woodland 1.9
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Fiber Hex
    Insulation
    EE TQ, HG UQ
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles

Suggestions on how to "get more" out of a top quilt?

New member here, hello and thanks in advance... the title probably doesn't make a lot of sense so here's what I'm after:

I have a Hammock Gear Phoenix 20 underquilt already, which works well with my Hennessy Hammock and Hennessy Monsoon Tarp.

I live in the Northern Kentucky / Southern Ohio area and our winters can get down into the teens and toward 0 degrees farenheit at times at night.

I really want to buy only one top quilt for the time being. I'm giving a really hard look at the Hammock Gear Burrow 20.

I backpack, so weight and bulk is an issue.

Around here, I assume the 20 degree combo is going to be perfectly fine the vast majority of the time, but for that occasional really cold night, I wonder if I can just pair some other things / methods with the 20 degree setup to bring it down to, say, 0 to 10 degrees.

-How much temperature will added an extra oz or two or three of down overfill add to the 20 degree rating?
    -How much temperature can you gain with something like a Hammock Sock... like the argon winter one that Dutchware sells?
    -The Monsoon tarp that I have has doors and can be pulled down into a very enclosed, low to the ground, tight setup to block wind and retain heat.
    -I consider myself to be a warm/hot sleeper. At home, I often have only a sheet while my girlfriend has a stack of blankets on her.
    -I do not have a problem sleeping in socks, extra layers, beanie, jacket, etc.
    -I can pay closer attention to where I hang the hammock (out of the wind, maybe get some fire reflection, etc)
    -Hot water bottle / heat pack...

...I guess I'm just sort of fishing for opinions here... have any of you successfully taken your TQ's / UQ's below their advertised temperature ranges?

Hammock
    HH Expedition, HH Explorer Dlx
    Tarp
    Noah 12, BCUSA 10
    Insulation
    JRB Nest, Old Rag
    Suspension
    Stock HH w/rings
    Images
    Any of the things you mentioned above can increase your warmth as the temps go down with extra down stuffing doing, IMO, the most good. As for how much good, you will want to ask each vendor that question as it appears to depend on type of down they use.

As to how much warmth you will get from each item, it really depends on you. I would strongly suggestion you back yard or car camp test each of the items you want to use in the environment you want to use it.

What has worked well for me is sleeping in clean fleece pants, top, hat, and gloves along with very loose fitting wool socks then adding in a hot water bottle for my groin. I have taken my 20F UQ and 30F TQ down to 10F with no discomfort when I blocked all wind from under me and added in a 2QZQ UQ protector. But, each of us are very different so you really need to test in safe conditions before actually taking off into the woods with a new set up.
    Deb
    TOS Terms of Service Link
    Guidelines to New For Sale Section Link
    How to obtain access & maintain your threads in For Sale Section Link
    Guidelines for Want to Buy (WTB) Section
    Hammock Acronyms

"The older I get, the more I appreciate my rural childhood. I spent a lot of time outdoors, unsupervised, which is a blessing." Barbara Kingsolver

Hammock
    Raven, SLD Streamliner
    Tarp
    Hanger11WB,WntrHvn
    Insulation
    HG,UGQ,JrB
    Suspension
    UCR's
    Images
    Try this http://www.jacksrbetter.com/shop/qui...ummer-blanket/ to supplement your TQ, but you're going to need more under you to get much below your UQ's rating.

Hammock
    Argon 11 ft or HH BKUL
    Tarp
    Asym DIY Pole Mod
    Insulation
    DIY, Jarbrige,HHSS
    Suspension
    Lashings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by dkurfiss View Post
    What has worked well for me is sleeping in clean fleece pants, top, hat, and gloves along with very loose fitting wool socks then adding in a hot water bottle for my groin.
    This is what I do as well - plus I put my zipped up jacket (or vest) over my feet inside the hammock. For me, by keeping the feet, head, and kidneys warm the rest seems to be good.
    I prefer to use an appropriate rated mummy bag along with a fleece blanket - layered insulation I can add as the temp drops at night.
    I use the smaller HH and find the bugnet adds almost 10F and the top cover adds another 5F - using the stock tarp on the ridgeline is almost as good.

Keep in mind that by adding insulation into your TQ (or UQ) you will permanently lower the temp range at both ends - thus make the TQ/UQ only usable for those few extreme cold nights of the year - so you don't want to buy more than you need for the majority of your trips. I prefer to add to my pack what I need for the current conditions and the hot water bottle is always along for unexpected temp drops.
    Enjoying the simple things in life -
    Own less, live more.

A down puffy or vest does wonders in warming up areas that start to feel cold. My first TQ was a 20 degree EE Rev and I've used it successfully down to -13 with an extra sleeping bag as a liner and additional clothing. I have a O degree on order now, since I enjoy getting out year round. You might want to consider a UQP from 2QZQ for some extra warmth below and to block the wind.

Hammock
    DH Freebird or Roaming Gnome
    Tarp
    OMW/Tadpole
    Insulation
    UGQ 20F Zeppelin
    Suspension
    Varied
    Images
    When I went below the rating of my UQ and sleeping bag, I found a Dutch Winter sock to be very helpful. Effectively blocked the wind and allowed a small build up of temp inside. I typically didn't have issues with condensation....except for one night when I work up to a winter wonderland inside! It was cold enough that I just peeled it back and shook it off, so no issue, but be aware.
    Hobo Off The Ground All Year Round: 8 7
    consecutive months since the start, 9/2015 through 11/2022

Hammock
    Dutch/SLD/WB/DIY
    Tarp
    DWG/HG/SLD/UGQ/DIY
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    Can't recommend highly enough how versatile a fine product like the 2QZQ underquilt protector can be across a very wide range of temperatures when you just need to gain a few (5-7) extra degrees to stay comfortable. In warm weather it breaks the breeze and takes the nighttime chill off; in colder weather it creates a microclimate around your underquilt and helps it perform to maximum capability.

A hammock sock (either aftermarket or DIY) can offer you similar capabilities and offers you additional protection from wind, blown debris, and moisture (both precipitation and dew); the weight penalty versus a UQP is not substantial.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    My first UQ was also an HG Phoenix 20, and I thought I could supplement it for lower temps. It didn't work out well for me. The lowest I ever got was 13* F but I was freezing. I did the socks, extra layers, beanie, hot water bottles - all for naught. While hammock socks, UQPs and overcovers work for some, I get way too much condensation and would rather not use those methods.

Nowadays I let insulation do its job, and I don't even wear socks. I use the 10* buffer rule - if the expected overnight temps are going to be 30* F, then I'll take my Phoenix 20* so I have a 10* buffer. If the expected overnight low is 20* then I'll take my 0* Incubator. And if the expected low is 0* F, I'm stacking quilts!
    Last edited by SilvrSurfr; 09-11-2016 at 12:20.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    I use the 10° buffer rule here as well and I've never slept cold but one time and that was due to a precipitation issue and a small tarp.

Hammock
    WL Lt Owl
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Outdoors
    Insulation
    Burrow/Incubator
    Suspension
    Tree straps
    Quote Originally Posted by ouroboros View Post
    ...I have a Hammock Gear Phoenix 20 underquilt already, which works well ---
    ... I really want to buy only one top quilt for the time being....
    One 20* topquilt has served me quite well in temps from 0-80*F. The key to my comfort has always been the underquilt. The underquilt creates a micoclimate above and determines how warm I'll be.

Adding an underquilt protector is effective in increasing the performance of your underquilt. However, you might consider adding a 40* underquilt. Not only would this allow you to pack less bulk in the warm months, by stacking the 40* and the 20* you could be comfortable during the 0* nights.

Good Luck
    Questioning authority, Rocking the boat & Stirring the pot - Since 1965

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast