Tarp
    Siltarp2
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix 30
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings

Advice on fabric, length and width to avoid sag and shoulder compression

Hello everyone,

After reading and reading (and reading) a lot on this great forum, I've decided that my next hammock will be a Dream Hammock. Randy, Deanna and their team make really beautiful products and it sounds like they are very attentive to their customers. I appreciate that! I'm thinking about getting myself a Sparrow with bugnet and cover for maximum versatility.

Now, to give you a bit of context: I'm 5'7", 180lbs. I camp during three seasons up here in Ottawa, Ontario, Canada. My current hammock is a Byer of Maine Moskito Kakoon and I use a 3/4 underquilt. The Kakoon is a simple 9' hammock, 54" wide, with an integrated bugnet. It's a good (and inexpensive) little hammock, many like it, but I dislike the amount of sag that I get (the fabric is parachute nylon). I also dislike the fact that I feel a lot of shoulder compression. Bottom line is, I'm not comfortable. I need a hammock that will allow a flatter lay and a more solid feeling.

But being so new to hammocks, it's hard for me to know what would allow that. Do I need two layers to get a more solid feeling? Or would a single layer, for ex: 1.6 Hyper D be sufficient?

How about length and width? Would a 10' hammock made with 1.6 HyperD nylon (58-60"?) be sufficient to help with shoulder compression, or should I go much wider, with ROBIC and HyperD XL? Or would a 11" hammock be better?

I'm a little lost and I'd be happy to hear your thoughts. Thanks in advance!

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    The only way to find out what works for you is to try it out. Since a Dream Hammock is too expensive to experiment with (unless you can afford getting several DHs with different fabrics), my advice to you would be to order a couple of cheap no-net hammocks with the fabrics you're interested in. Try them and see which one you like best. Then order a Dream Hammock with that fabric and sell the no-nets.

If you don't want to go down that road, here is my best guess: with 5'7" it wouldn't hurt to get an 11' hammock, although a 10.5' hammock might work equally well. 10' likely is too short, although it probably would feel huge to you, coming from a 9' hammock.

With regards to the fabric, the most important question is, do you like stretch? Or do you prefer a firmer lay? Judging from your comment that you want a flatter lay and a "more solid feeling", I guess you want a firmer fabric. In that case, you can go with a 1.0oz or 1.1oz double layer hammock, or a single layer hammock made from 1.6oz or even heavier fabric. I do love the 2.4oz Hexon, because it gives me a rock-solid feeling, but even as a single layer hammock it is kind of heavy. 1.9oz fabrics are a good choice if you don't want an extra wide hammock. If you have a bit of patience, you could wait for the 1.0oz Hexon Wide that Dutch said will be coming soon, and get a double layer hammock that will feel as solid as the 2.4oz Hexon but will be wide and a bit lighter. A double layer hammock made from Robic XL would be a good choice if you like an extra firm lay. To me it feels almost like polyester (in the best way). It's not as nice to the touch as the Hexon, though. The 1.6oz HyperD is very nice, too, and stretchwise it's in the middle between the very light and very heavy fabrics. Many people are very happy with it, and it feels super soft.

I probably made your choice more difficult instead of helping, but comfort is so individual that you really have to try different options to see what works for you.

Hammock
    Byer of Maine Moskito Kakoon
    Tarp
    Siltarp2
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix 30
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Thanks for your thoughts, hutzelbein.

I absolutely agree with you, comfort is very subjective. I would prefer little to no sag. It sounds like a lightweight double layer or a heavier fabric like 2.2 HEX could do the trick. Weight is not as important to me as versatility and durability (When I go out hammocking, I "bikepack" with a mountain bike and don't mind if I have to add an extra pound or two to my bike; it just means I get to burn more calories! ), so I think I might prefer a double-layered hammock. Two layers also seem to provide a more solid feel. I know that when I saw Randy get into the Sparrow hammock in this youtube video, my first reaction was wow! That hammock has no sag, I bet it's incredibly comfy! I wonder what type of fabrics were used for that hammock... Seems like 1.8oz on the outside, but it's hard to say what was used on the inside...!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mDh9yY4jOc4

Would an extra wide (67"+) 10' or 10.5' hammock be wide enough to completely eliminate shoulder compression? Or would a 11' hammock made with a standard width (58"-60") be my best bet?

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    I assume that by "sag" you mean "stretch", since all hammocks from Dream Hammock have the same sag, pre-set by the fixed ridgeline.

With 180lbs you're not particularly heavy and most fabrics should work for you. I found some of the standard 1.1oz ripstop nylons too stretchy for me, even when used as a double layer. But I can recommend the 1.0oz Hexon, the 1.0oz HyperD and the 1.0oz Robic XL. They all have fairly little stretch (I'm ~132 lbs though). If I had to sort them according to stretch, I would say that the Hexon has a little bit more give (in a nice way) than the HyperD, and the Robic XL stretches the least (might be uncomfortable to some). Personally, I love the way my 1.0oz HyperD double layer hammock feels, but the fabric seems to be fairly dense and might feel sweaty to some. It's sad that there's no 1.0oz HyperD Wide available... You could go with a 1.6oz HyperD Wide double layer, though. This should have almost no give, but I haven't finished mine, yet, so I can't give you details. Maybe in a couple of days.

A 1.9oz double layer hammock would be overkill, in my opinion. And I like to stick with the same fabric for both layers, because each fabric behaves differently.

I have never had a problem with shoulder compression, so I can't say what would help. I have read different threads on this issue, and it seems that what causes the feeling and what helps is very individual. If the feeling is caused simply by the curvature of the hammock itself, you would need to look into a different hammock type. If it's caused by stretch, a firm fabric will help. But maybe a wider hammock could solve your problem. I do love wider hammocks. With 59" hammocks I often think I would appreciate a bit more width. With most it's not a big issue, but for me, the firmer the fabric, the more I can go diagonal and use the width. If I would order another Dream Hammock, I would probably ask for 62" or 63". My bed-replacement hammock is 75", which is way more than I can use - but I love it. I wouldn't use it for camping, though.

Hammock
    Dutch/SLD/WB/DIY
    Tarp
    DWG/HG/SLD/UGQ/DIY
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    I think at your size a single-layer hammock made from 1.9 oz ripstop nylon that is 11 feet long and finishes out at least 58" wide will feel like a real "dream" hammock to you and promote an easily achieved diagonal lay. If you favor durability and versatility over weight savings, have the Smurfs add in an inner layer of 1.1 oz ripstop with a pad opening, which will only add about 4 ounces. I am just about your weight; all of my hammocks (DIY and cottage vendor alike) are 1.9/1.1 double layer construction, and I love the bombproof breathability and firm support (no significant stretch or squeeze) of this option. HTH...

(PS: FWIW and with due respect to the members posting above, I've had good luck with the thick outer/thin inner 2-late construction. The outer layer is strong and provides abrasion resistance; the inner layer has a soft hand, wrangles a pad if you ever want to use one, and provides just a little extra firmness and support to your lay over the outer layer alone. It may not be for everyone, but it's a salient option for you to consider.)
    Last edited by kitsapcowboy; 09-11-2016 at 11:48.

Hammock
    Hybrid 1.7 GE, Happy Medium Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY Xenon Winter
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    All of them! Ugh.
    Images
    I think the following may just be the quickest and least expensive way for a new hanger to get their bearings. It helps greatly if you have the ability to hang in the house.

I would suggest to make or buy a simple 12' GE hammock in either hyperd 1.6 or hexon 1.6. Whip one end of the hammock at various lengths between 10' and 12'. Spend a night or two at each length you try and take notes on how the various parts of your body is affected by the change. I'd also suggest trying this with and without a small cushion under your knees. Fairly quickly you'll determine what is the minimum length you're comfortable with. You'll also develop a general feeling about whether or not you want to go more, or less, firm with the fabric. A perfectly flat hang may be what many think they want, but not what they actually need.

I have sensitive shoulders and found that switching from 1.0 to 1.6 was a big improvement, but from 1.6 to 2.4 not much more help. I've never tried a double layer.

I made one wide hammock with hexon w1.6. At 5'4" I didn't find much benefit in the extra width, just a lot of extra fabric flopping around. It didn't relieve my shoulders any more than 58" 1.6. I CAN see how taller folks could appreciate it though. I'm assuming 6'+.

Consider using an adjustable ridgeline so you can experiment with sag. My wife and I did this and determined that the "standard" 83% rule of thumb is about perfect for us.

Hammock
    DIY 1.7MTN
    Tarp
    HG Camo DCF Palace
    Insulation
    Incubator/Alsek
    Suspension
    Strap/Cinch Buckle
    I had an 11' in 1.6 HyperD 72"wide. I experienced shoulder squeeze that I didn't in my previous hammock. Previous hammock was 11'6" and double 2.4... So I wasn't sure if it was the length or the fabric that was the issue..... I ended up making an 11'6" out of 2.2 Hex70 and it is the best yet.. So, I guess I still don't know if it is length or material or a combination of both. Side note.. This one is ~64" wide, both of the others were 72" and I do NOT miss the extra width.

I'd say get an 11' in Hex70 and you should be right close to perfect. But again, each person is different. Do your homework, order what you think is best and go from there.

FYI I am 5'11" and 175.

Sent from my XT1058 using Tapatalk

Need Adventure...Make Adventure

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    I find the 2.2oz Hex70 quite stretchy for its weight. A 1.0oz HyperD double layer will weigh less and be a lot more firm. Unfortunately, the 1.0oz HyperD isn't available in wide, though

Quote Originally Posted by hutzelbein View Post
    I find the 2.2oz Hex70 quite stretchy for its weight. A 1.0oz HyperD double layer will weigh less and be a lot more firm. Unfortunately, the 1.0oz HyperD isn't available in wide, though
    You do find the 2.2 Hex70 to be stretchy? I"m in the market for a Dream Hammock, so if this is true I might have to re-think my hammock composition, as I want as little stretch as possible as well.

Images
    If you don't want stretch, had anyone mentioned going from nylon to polyester?

--
    Gadget

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast