Hummingbird Single vs Dutchware Gear 11' - Looking for light weight

I am looking to buy a new hammock and am looking into some ultralight options. I'm a little concerned about the width but I'm comparing the Hummingbird Single vs Dutchware Gear 11' Netless. The Hummingbird comes in at 5.2 oz and Dutch's is anywhere from 7.5 oz +. I'm probably splitting hairs but am wondering what would be the better option.

I hike Havasupai Falls almost every year and sometimes multiple times in a year. I don't like using the mules so I carry all my gear. So needless to say, I'm looking for ways to lighten my load. We usually go when it's 100+ degrees during the day and stays in the 90's - 80's at night. At 5'6" and sub 150 lbs, I'm just wondering how comfortable it would be to sleep in a smaller hammock. I have one that is 63" wide but there is quite a bit of extra fabric. That's why I'm wondering if I can get away with a smaller one and still be just as comfortable.

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    SLD Winter Haven
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix/Burrow
    Suspension
    Beetle buckles
    Images
    That's a bit small at 8'8" by 3'11"...only you can say. Dutch's Netless in Hexon 1.0 is 11' by 4'10" and should come in around 6.2 oz. if my math is correct. For that small difference, I'd recommend Dutch.

You could have him make one 10' and it would be around 5.6 oz.
    Last edited by Bizzz; 09-10-2016 at 17:09.

Hammock
    Dutch/SLD/WB/DIY
    Tarp
    DWG/HG/SLD/UGQ/DIY
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    Dutch FTW! Even gram weeinies agree it's worth it.

(At your height and weight I would guess you can probably get away with a 10.5-foot hammock as narrow as 54" to 56" and still sleep very comfortably if you have to shave grams...)

Hammock
    Ridge runner
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    Lynx UQ
    Get the Dutch, you'll love the extra length and flat lie.

Hammock
    Streamliner, Boone 30
    Tarp
    UGQ, Spinn Edge
    Insulation
    UGQ, SSUQ, Greyloc
    Suspension
    UCR's, Whoopies
    Images
    If you are looking for a lighter hammock and you want both minimal weight and comfort, check out Simply Light Designs Steamliner, it is cat cut on the sides to eliminate extra weight. I love mine, it's 10' x 54" and I'm 5'11". I'm planning on ordering an 11'er.now that I have a 12' tarp that I'm buying a door kit for to do some winter packing. My stream liner is my goto hammock unless I'm winter base camping.
    Give me more darkness said the blind man,
    Give me more folly said the fool,
    Give me stone silence said the deaf man,
    I didn't believe Sunday School.
    Phil Keaggy

Hammock
    DIY 11+ ft
    Tarp
    HH Sil Hex
    Insulation
    Wookie XL
    Suspension
    DIY Speed Hooks
    If you are 5'6" and concerned with grams, an 11 ft hammock is overkill. 9.5 to 10' should serve you well. Your ridgeline will be shorter and lighter. You can go with a lighter 11' tarp also.

Scott

Hammock
    Dutch/SLD/WB/DIY
    Tarp
    DWG/HG/SLD/UGQ/DIY
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    Quote Originally Posted by rallywagon View Post
    If you are 5'6" and concerned with grams, an 11 ft hammock is overkill. 9.5 to 10' should serve you well. Your ridgeline will be shorter and lighter. You can go with a lighter 11' tarp also.

Scott
    With respect, I see your point, but saving 1 foot of length of 1 ounce fabric on a standard-width (or even wide) hammock body is going to save less than a quarter ounce, and the weight of a saved foot (actually less than 11 inches) of Amsteel on the ridge line is virtually negligible. An 11-foot hammock with a standard 110" ridge line can already comfortably use an 11-foot tarp for cover with a 30-degree "hangle", hung about 6" above the ridge line of the hammock with at least 10" of overlap to protect the suspension and allow for drip lines; even using a 12-foot tarp, figuring a relatively hefty 1.5 ounces per square yard for the rain fly, the approximately 10 square feet on a very wide hex tarp you'd gain sticking with a 12-footer will barely cost you half an ounce (with about 18" of protection in either end at the ridge line). So the total weight savings of moving to a 10-foot hammock with an 11-foot tarp is unlikely to be much more than an ounce. If 30 or so grams buys me good shelter, greater comfort, and less hassle, I'd generally say that's weight worth packing. It's probably weight I can figure out how to save somewhere else that's less critical. A 5'6" hammock camper is already enjoying the benefits of a shorter stature by using shorter quilts, which offer a much more substantial weight savings per inch of reduction than either the hammock or the tarp. I agree that with gram-shaving it all adds up, but in this case it doesn't seem to add up to much. My $0.02...

Hammock
    SuperiorGear or Dutch netless
    Tarp
    custom pentagon
    Insulation
    down hammock or UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Images
    Might have more to do with the tree spacing at that campground? Otherwise I agree you're not saving much. I don't think trying it on one trip will kill you, either.

Every freakin' year, plus? I'm very jealous. How long does it take to make it out to the CO river and back?
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

Hammock
    11' Dutchware Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    LLG TQ/UQ 10*
    Suspension
    Dutchware Whoopies
    At 5'5" and 110# I tried the GT Nano...it's 4ft wide and 9 1/2ft long, which is wider and longer than the Hummingbird. It wasn't comfortable and I felt like I was going to fall out. I went with the 11ft Dutchware Netless which is a little wider and longer than my cut-down GT Double which is generally pretty comfortable, although now a few inches too narrow.

My Dutchware hammock should arrive tomorrow. I ordered the Hexon 1.0. I'd rather have an oz heavier and be comfortable than vice versa. Plus, I'll be saving weight with a CF tarp if I continue down this road.

• + New Posts