Tarp
    DIY Blackcat
    Insulation
    DIY Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images

Tangled up in blue

When I first started using my ulba I quckly learned to kep my tarp seperate and loose in my mesh pocket to dry. It also helped to keep the hammock from getting tangled with the tarp pull outs. Then I learned to wind up the tarp with the strings incased within the tarp which kept the stings from getting tangled with each other.

Now I've added figure 9s, ridgeline tie outs, and bug netting snakeskins. First thing I had to change was the DYI snakeskins. I decided to use one long snake skin instead of the traditional smaller 2 snakeskins. This way the side pullouts get contained in the skin (except 2 feet or so). I still have trouble with the ridgeline pullouts getting tangled and they get wrapped around the figure 9s pretty good. I also have a problem with the figure 9s snagging on the mesh pocket.

Does anyone have any good ideas of how to contain and keep the tarp from looking like a ball of yarn the ran through the washing machine everytime I take it out of the pack. I was thinking of possibly making a bug netting stuff sack to keep everything more contained. I also thought about finding another piece of gear to wrap the ridgeline up on like my raingear. But I don't always take raingear. I 'm sure someone on this site has already taken care of this problem and has some ingenious but simple idea the I'm missing.

Peace Dutch
    GA>ME '03

Hammock
    Homemade Speer-type
    Tarp
    BlackCat
    Insulation
    Potomac UQ
    Suspension
    Homemade/CC Buckle
    Images
    I'm hoping my small BB sack design will be a nicer, simpler alternative to skins - once I get it worked out, of course.

I'd thought about using a long, single skin like you're talking about, but decided two would likely be easier.

The way I get around my lines getting tangled is this:

1. I use permanently tied tautline hitches on my side ties. When skinning the tarp, I shorten these all the way down, effectively reducing the line length by half and making them easier to keep straight.

2. I use a thicker line than a lot of people - I hate trying to do ANYTHING with tiny stuff like Triptease - which doesn't tangle as much either. I had SERIOUS tangling problems with the tiny little stuff that came stock on my HH tarp. The stuff I use comes from REI: http://www.rei.com/online/store/Prod...JPG&view=large
    They also carry it in green, at least at the store here in town.

3. I roll the side cords in with the body material before skinning. This makes skinning easier and also keeps the lines fairly straight inside the bundle, reducing tangles.

4. I wrap the ridge tie cords around the skin bundle after the rest is done. That keeps the bundle together (somewhat at least - skins are a pain) and keeps the cords straighter.

Hope that helps.
    "Physics is the only true science. All else is stamp collecting." - J. J. Thompson

Images
    What works for me is rolling the tarp in the skins. I try to keep the guy lines seperate. That seems to be working for me.
    Is that too much to ask? Girls with frikkin' lasers on their heads?
    The hanger formly known as "hammock engineer".

• + New Posts