Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Images
    Get an an adjustable SRL, start at 5/6 (83%) length and shorten it from there, until you find your sweet spot. I am of the theory that a wider hammock works better with a shorter ridgeline. It promotes a more diagonal lay.

I've got an extra wide and I don't like dealing with the extra fabric. Also it is kind of heavy and doesn't pack down as well.

Hammock
    Depends on the day
    Tarp
    HG Hex, WBSF, WLTP
    Insulation
    HG UQ / UDQ TQ
    Suspension
    Dyneema Straps
    I'm 6'1" and 220lbs. I have found the Dutch hammocks comfortable, but at 58" wide my feet would sometimes hang over the edge a bit. I made a hammock out of Robic XL which ended up being 66" wide and it's much better. There is a bit of flop with the wider hammock. But nothing too crazy.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Varies
    Tarp
    GargoyleGear Ogee
    Insulation
    UQ-varies w/season
    Suspension
    Dutchgear
    Quote Originally Posted by GadgetUK437 View Post
    Get an an adjustable SRL, start at 5/6 (83%) length and shorten it from there, until you find your sweet spot. I am of the theory that a wider hammock works better with a shorter ridgeline. It promotes a more diagonal lay.
    This. I sleep every night in a GT Double (10-6x6-6) hung with LOTS of sag. It is roomy and sublimely comfortable.

This is not doable as a camping hammock, however, and requires re-thinking under quilt suspension.
    Dave

"Loneliness is the poverty of self; solitude is the richness of self."~~~May Sarton

This has been super helpful! I'm waiting on an order from "The Bearded Hanger" 11' SL HyperD XL. Can't wait to give it a try and post some pics and a review. Hopefully I will be taking it with my for my week away!!

Hammock
    Eno/ table cloth
    Tarp
    Maccat ultra
    Insulation
    0*Incubator/Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Is there such thing as a hammock that is too wide??
    No I don't think so if that is what you like.

I personally do not think you have anything to worry about, I ordered a 90"x156" table cloth, sewed 6" channels on each end which now makes it a 90" x 144" hammock. My hammock is a good 20" wider than yours will be and I absolutely love the width and length of mine. As far as the underquilt fitting, well that's no problem either. I use the under quilts made by hammock gear and underground quilts, they are both really good quilts and the best people to deal with. I've been down to 4* with this setup and haven't gotten cold.
    I hope his helps. Happy Hanging
    God Bless
    Psalms 121
    I'm not completely stupid, just "Nucking Futz"

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridge runner or DIY
    Tarp
    DIY Super
    Insulation
    HG Burrow/DIY
    Suspension
    Beckett Hitch bro
    I made a hammock with the Robic XL. Came out pretty dang wide, so I did the Knotty mod. Works like a champ now! The Knotty mod gives me little shelves for my head and feet. No calf ridges. I'm in the wider is better category I've spent many nights with my feet dangling off the edge somehow because they are to narrow for me.

J

Hammock
    DIY' 1.6W Hexon 11.5'
    Tarp
    DIY Silpoly 12'
    Insulation
    DIY CS 10 TQ&UQ
    Suspension
    It varies
    I am currently looking into making a 11' Extra wide. Probably close to 82" out of hexon 1.6. Was already planning doing the knotty mods and also having a removable ridgeline...if the space is available. I would be normally laying diagonal.
    I'm wondering if it's possible to lay vertical similar to the amok if you shortened the span or used a shorter ridgeline...or if there'd be enough support to hold you up in that position.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyst Död View Post
    I'm wondering if it's possible to lay vertical
    Normally that's called, "standing up!" LOL
    if you shortened the span or used a shorter ridgeline...
    Yes to a short ridgeline. It won't ever be perfectly flat, because the length to the centre (where you are lying) along the hem and the length along the middle (and all points between) are the same, each half of the hammock transcribe a section of a cone, with you lying on the curved base. The curve of the base will have a larger radius as the SRL decreases.

--
    Gadget

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    DIY cuben fiber
    Suspension
    whoppie slings/MSH
    I have a 90" wide gathered end hammock from a DIY gear supply table-cloth blank. Even when I'm lying perpendicular to the axis of the hammock I'm not totally flat. Probably has something to do with what Gadget said, although think I need audio-visual aids and a tutor to actually understand.
    I think the way you gather the ends makes a big difference too. Just Jeff has a whole discussion about that on his website. That hammock weighs a ton, but it is extremely comfortable. Like more comfortable than my bed.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast