DIY 11+ ft
    Tarp
    HH Sil Hex
    Insulation
    Wookie XL
    Suspension
    DIY Speed Hooks

Thumbs up Outdoor Vitals Aerie 30°F Down Underquilt

I have nothing to gain from this company or Amazon. I just want to share what I think is a great deal for a down filled product.

My backpacking friends and I have purchased several of these....buying 5 or more via Amazon Prime works out to $99.89 each, delivered...

https://www.amazon.com/Outdoor-Vital...als+underquilt

The down feels like good quality...no feathers, lofts fairly quickly. The quilted squares are fairly well filled. I measured 74" by 31"(closed) at 811 grams in the included stuff sack. Face fabrics are very lightweight (and fragile). Draw cords / cord locks are present on both the head and foot ends. Zipper fully opens so the unit can lay flat at 62" x 74".

The biggest drawback...no internal baffles....the quilt squares are stitched through.

My plan is to consolidate the down into fewer "quilted chambers" by carefully ripping seams between chambers....then cut it from 61 inch width to about 38" width tapering on each end to about 34", adding cord channels on the long sides. It will be very over stuffed at that point.

Folded/close at 31 inches wide...I think it would make a very warm underquilt for a kid or thin adult using it at the closed 31 inch width.

Lots of options for $100....as-is for kids or adults at say 45F or warmer....and with the modifications, I think it should go down to 30F for me if well suspended.

Scott

Hammock
    DH Freebird or Roaming Gnome
    Tarp
    OMW/Tadpole
    Insulation
    UGQ 20F Zeppelin
    Suspension
    Varied
    Images
    Can you lay at an angle in that? It looks pretty tight.
    Hobo Off The Ground All Year Round: 8 7
    consecutive months since the start, 9/2015 through 11/2022

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Caveat emptor - you'll be the first on the block to buy one!

I personally think this looks painful.

inbagno.png

https://outdoorvitals.com/product/ov...-bag-optional/
    Last edited by SilvrSurfr; 09-07-2016 at 23:11.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    Dutchware Hexon 1.6 11ft
    Tarp
    Yukon Rainfly
    Insulation
    JRB, AHE, DIY, SP
    Suspension
    Dutch Cinch Buckle
    Kind of looks like a less versatile, 500% more expensive Costco down throw.

I'd think you could do as much, or more with the Costco down throw.

Every day is a good day.

Hammock
    SuperiorGear or Dutch netless
    Tarp
    custom pentagon
    Insulation
    down hammock or UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Images
    Agreed, for a kid's UQ/TQ combo, this is a pretty sweet find. My guess is that it doesn't work well on a diagonal, or perhaps on something like my streamliner where the rigid walls would create greater circumference needed. For a small hammock, like an ENO, lying straight banana or even a slight angle, seems like it should work fairly well for anyone. But I agree that kids would likely find it more comfy. And like you said, pretty good value for 800 fill down quilt that at least looks like its of decent design and quality. Let us know how it really is.
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

Hammock
    DIY 11+ ft
    Tarp
    HH Sil Hex
    Insulation
    Wookie XL
    Suspension
    DIY Speed Hooks
    Thanks for the comments / observations.

- I think definitely only a kid would be comfortable in the pod arrangement. They would probably be very comfortable if they already tend to lay straight (minimal diagonal)...which has been the case for my younger sons (12 and under). IF the pod arrangement works for the kid, this is a nice ultralight, low volume arrangement for him/her...maybe down to 40-45F with the right clothing?

- For an adult, you could certainly lay diagonally with it opened up (62")...see some pictures in the Amazon reviews of such.

- Regarding the comparison to the Costco throw...I like the additional quantity of down and length (my son and I are over 6 ft tall) as a beginning point for modification. BUT, the Costco throw still seems to be a wonderful bargain for DIYers.

Scott

Hammock
    Dutchware 11'
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah 12
    Insulation
    EE Rev 20
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by rallywagon View Post
    Thanks for the comments / observations.

- I think definitely only a kid would be comfortable in the pod arrangement. They would probably be very comfortable if they already tend to lay straight (minimal diagonal)...which has been the case for my younger sons (12 and under). IF the pod arrangement works for the kid, this is a nice ultralight, low volume arrangement for him/her...maybe down to 40-45F with the right clothing?

- For an adult, you could certainly lay diagonally with it opened up (62")...see some pictures in the Amazon reviews of such.

- Regarding the comparison to the Costco throw...I like the additional quantity of down and length (my son and I are over 6 ft tall) as a beginning point for modification. BUT, the Costco throw still seems to be a wonderful bargain for DIYers.

Scott
    Any updates on how you like this? I've been looking for a good sleeping bag and this appears to be decent for a UQ.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I am curious to hear more as they have reached out to me to review but I am on the fence about it.
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

I'm also really curious to get feedback from people that have actually used this in lower temps. I'm hoping to use it this summer on the Colorado trail and am worried about it actually being comfortable down into the 30s...would hate to get caught in bad weather and end up freezing my butt off above 10k feet.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    My Report from March 3rd this year:

I slept out in it last week as a test. Did not film, just getting to know it. Got down to 23ºF.
    They sent me the 20º Aerie. Set it up as a UQ and a pod to see how it hung.
    As a pod it is pretty good...you can get on an angle in the hammock. I'm 6' and was ok. As in most pods there is a gap up by the head over left shoulder for me. But slip a TQ inside and you could for sure get down to some colder temps.

As a UQ you have to set it up just right. I stretched my suspension tightly and hooked it up by cinch buckles on hammock suspension to get it to stretch out and get it to come up right against my buttocks and back.
    Slept in a partial pod arrangement. Set up like pod but unzipped to knees.
    Seemed to work best. Kept the bottom up against me that way.
    I crawled in around 10PM and slept warm until about 4:30 AM. Started to get a bit cold on the buttocks then.
    As it functions in a bag, pod and UQ and blanket so the 18 ounces of down gets distributed on top, sides and bottom. Less on the bottom as a normal 20º UQ.

The beauty of the Aerie is that a person can use it an a bag, pod, UQ or top blanket.

Zippers are a bit sticky...you have to be vigilant in holding back the inner zip tape and top flap. I hate zippers!

Seems to be baffled and not sewn through.

All in all a fairly good piece of gear for all that it does.
    If looking for JUST a UQ then I don't think this is it. But if needed a piece of gear that is Multi Function then for the price it is pretty good.
    Made in China.
    I will test more and video later.
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast