Clark NX270
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah
    Insulation
    KAQ/Cosmic 20
    Suspension
    oem

Sub Forum of Hammock Camping, "Moto and car camping"

Moto and car camping. Very difficult to get help, suggestions and tips when weight is not an issue. It seems that a majority of the active members are into ultralight camping. Often when a moto or car camper question is asked we have to filter thru all the ultralight suggestions and tips. Those suggestions and tips are appreciated and often relevant but we are talking apples and oranges (pardon the cliche).

Senior Member Pennsy Camp and Canoe's Avatar
    Hammock
    Dutchware 11' netless - Dark OG
    Tarp
    DIY 12' Winter hex
    Insulation
    LLG UQ, HG TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Cinch Buckle
    Images
    i don't mind it as much, its nice to get lots of information and make a better decision. As long as you specify weight is not an issue you will get the info you are looking for.

Hammock
    Clark NX270
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah
    Insulation
    KAQ/Cosmic 20
    Suspension
    oem

Sub Forum of Hammock Camping, "Moto and car camping"

I do appreciate the suggestions and many are relevant but if you camp with no or little weight restrictions it's a whole different world from ultralite.
    Budget Moto Camper. Make a rain cape, and an over the shoulder sling bag, and buy a sturdy pair of Keds tennis shoes. -Grandma Gatewood

Hammock
    DREAM HAMMOCK
    Tarp
    U G Q .
    Insulation
    U G Q .
    Suspension
    RSBTR STRAPS
    Images
    If you state in your question that wieght is not an issue or relevant then you'll find people will be as willing to help out as much as the gram weenies are.!!
    Getting both sides of the coin addressed can also be very helpful.
    I would rather have too much info and sort thru it then to not have enough info anyday!
    And around here if it's relevant to hammocking or hammock camping someone WILL have the answer your looking for, just go ahead and try to stump this comunnity ,,when it comes to hammocks it can't be done!!

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    They already have a bikecamping forum (which you probably can't see since it's in Donating Members section), which is one of the least visited forums on HF. I would imagine a moto and car camping section would be significantly less popular.

May as well ask!
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Nelson View Post
    Moto and car camping. Very difficult to get help, suggestions and tips when weight is not an issue. It seems that a majority of the active members are into ultralight camping. Often when a moto or car camper question is asked we have to filter thru all the ultralight suggestions and tips. Those suggestions and tips are appreciated and often relevant but we are talking apples and oranges (pardon the cliche).
    Hi Nelson, To be honest how one gets to camp doesn't really change the hammock or hammock accessories one uses.
    Sure you might not buy an esoteric cubenfiber tarp but sylnylon tarps and down quilts are still the best.

If you are more interested in car camping accessories, lawn chairs, cast iron cooking, stoves, kayaks canoes, fishing etc the donating members sections would be where those discussions go on.

Hammock
    Snep Hammock, about 12 DIY's, etc.
    Tarp
    OneTigris Tiegman
    Insulation
    HG & HangTight
    Suspension
    Varies
    As they say, it is in the donating area and the 2nd reason I donated (the first being this place saved me many years worth of donations in information and tips alone!)

I'm a backpacker, motorcycle camper, kayak camper and, as a last resort (or when I bring them all at once), car camper. There are a few of us that are diversified in styles and that same few who don't count the grams. Jump in and ask away! Someone will likely have a good answer.
    _____
    Forest Fires cause Smoky Bears

"For the ultimate light weight rig just sleep on the ground in the clothes you are wearing!"

Hammock
    XLC, DIY, GT Dbl for day hiking
    Tarp
    WL OMW
    Insulation
    AHE KAQ JUQ, HG0B
    Suspension
    Web with Triangles
    Images
    Car camping, doesn't matter if it's for one night or a month, my load out is the same.

For whatever reason I feel compelled to throw 3 totes, 2 backpacks, 2 folding chairs, 4 hammocks, 2 complete quilt sets and food for a month into the back of the truck and drive out.

Maybe I just have this inner voice that keeps telling me, this time we're not just driving north an hour, we're gonna keep driving until we hit Canada and then keep going north. And by we I mean me and that little voice in my head.

Seriously though, just open your post with "I'm going car camping" and if someone mentions some ultra light option, and they will, just respectfully point out that weight is not an issue and move on.

Me I haul my battle tank hammock, WBBB XLC w/ top cover, netting, under quilt protector, 3 season under quilt, 3 season top quilt, winter tarp, pillow, backup hammock, extra suspension bits and a few other odds and ends, even on overnighters. I like to have a napping/lounging hammock and my sleeping hammock. That way I never have to walk too far before I can get horizontal. haha Backup gear comes in handy, the one time I didn't bring any, sure enough someone needed a hammock after a suspension failure and I drove an hour out of the woods, back home and then back to camp.
    Have sherpas, will travel...
    Triangles, it's all about the triangles.
    H30º ™
    HTA

8.7167º

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ratdog View Post
    Maybe I just have this inner voice that keeps telling me, this time we're not just driving north an hour, we're gonna keep driving until we hit Canada and then keep going north. And by we I mean me and that little voice in my head. :cool
    Yep. That's the Ratdog I know.

And the drones are watching everything.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    DIY TCF Sage Green
    Tarp
    Noah's Tarp 12x12
    Insulation
    MAMW TQ, UGQ UQ
    Suspension
    webbing/whoopies
    Images
    I see questions asked and answered all the time with the qualifier "weight is not an issue". There are many forum users who prefer to go ultralight, many (such as myself) who aren't quite there yet, and many who, as you do, don't need to worry about being ultralight because they aren't carrying their gear on their backs for miles at a time.

That's the great thing about these forums, there's such a cross-section of people from which to draw information.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast