Tarp
    Superfly, AH hex,
    Insulation
    HG, Snugpak, SLD
    Suspension
    Whoopie Ti toggle
    Images

Snugpak Cocoon = IMPRESSED

I just took deliver of a new Snugpak Cocoon I got off of Amazon for $55 roughly. I was hesitant to get it at first because a lot of people had a lot of problems with it. Mostly with the lack of instructions and the end loops ripping out due to single seams and operator error. Well let me tell you, Snugpak listened. All of the complaints I read about have been addressed with this current production run. The zippers are YKK with black pulls on the outside and bright orange inside. The pulls are also textured, contoured and stamped with the word Snugpak and logo. The draft baffle is thick and now has an extra flap with cord inside to eliminate the zipper hanging up. The issue of the loops ripping out has been solved by extra internal stitches and more of the grosgrain loop inside for support. It came with shock cord attached to all 4 loops with instructions printed for proper use. The inside pocket is a nice size still but with a smaller zipper than the main zipper. I found NO loose threads or shoddy stitches. Overall, I a! VARY impressed with the craftsmanship and quality. I also have the Snugpak TQ, UQ, Jungle Blanket, 10x10 all weather shelter, snuggy pillow and Enhanced Patrol Poncho/ Liner. While most people might say they aren't the best but good for the money, I think the products are great. And now that I can see that they have taken steps to fix the problems the cocoon had I will continue to be a loyal customer. That doesn't mean I'm not gonna buy from our cottage vendors( I'm eyeing a JRB winter nest for my HH exped next,lol) I just think that Snugpak has found a niche and does it well. Sorry the pics aren't the best, I'll try to put up better ones when I get it outside when its cool enough to use..IMG_20160907_143222_hdr.jpgIMG_20160907_143136_hdr.jpgIMG_20160907_134941_hdr.jpgIMG_20160907_134852_hdr.jpgIMG_20160907_134523.jpgIMG_20160907_134451.jpgIMG_20160907_133836.jpgIMG_20160907_133731.jpgIMG_20160907_133719.jpg
    " The best pace is a suicide pace, and today looks like a good day to die." ~ Steve Prefontaine

Hammock
    HG,Dutch,XLC ,RR
    Tarp
    Superfly, AH hex,
    Insulation
    HG, Snugpak, SLD
    Suspension
    Whoopie Ti toggle
    Images
    And I can lay diagonally just like I normally do. It has plenty of room and some to spare once I got it dialed in correctly, BEFORE I laid in it per the instructions.
    " The best pace is a suicide pace, and today looks like a good day to die." ~ Steve Prefontaine

Hammock
    DIY TCF Sage Green
    Tarp
    Noah's Tarp 12x12
    Insulation
    MAMW TQ, UGQ UQ
    Suspension
    webbing/whoopies
    Images
    You really can't ask for more from any vendor (cottage or not) than to listen to its customers and fix problems. Glad to see they got these issues worked out.

We have a Snugpak UQ and it functions just fine, even though I'm not crazy about the suspension it is doable. My biggest gripe is that it's heavy. For car camping it would be fine but I'm not packing that thing for any kind of hiking trip.

Hammock
    DH Raven/SLD Trail lair
    Tarp
    UGQ WD/SLD Asym
    Insulation
    HG UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    DutchBuckle &Sling
    you going to bring it to MAHHA??? will hopefully be able to see it in action then.
    When the wife asks, I simply say "Shug made me do it".

Hammock
    HG,Dutch,XLC ,RR
    Tarp
    Superfly, AH hex,
    Insulation
    HG, Snugpak, SLD
    Suspension
    Whoopie Ti toggle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by NarlocB View Post
    you going to bring it to MAHHA??? will hopefully be able to see it in action then.
    Sure, why not... Its the perfect opportunity to test it out in cooler weather( fingers crossed). I mean for what it is, I think its great. They really stepped up and practically redesigned the whole thing to fix all the problems it had. Sure its got some weight and bulk to it, but is it really that much more than an UQ + TQ + both suspensions? Not really. I even had my UQ in it as well and it had plenty of room still to lay diagonally. Maybe not AS much, but def doable. It may not be for every one, but I'm definitely happy with it. I'd love to see a JRB, Arrowhead or other cottage vendor designed coccon with down and the whole nine yards. I'd buy that in a heartbeat. Speer has one right? Does anyone know how the two compare????

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Chesapeake View Post
    Sure its got some weight and bulk to it, but is it really that much more than an UQ + TQ + both suspensions? Not really.
    Yes, really. It's heavy. My entire 20* hammock setup, including hammock, tarp, 20* quilts, suspension and guylines weigh 59 ounces, and if I take my 0* quilts, it's 74 ounces. The Snugpak Cocoon alone weighs 68 ounces. That's probably fine for car camping down to about freezing (32* F), but I wouldn't want to try and hike with it.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    HG,Dutch,XLC ,RR
    Tarp
    Superfly, AH hex,
    Insulation
    HG, Snugpak, SLD
    Suspension
    Whoopie Ti toggle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    Yes, really. It's heavy. My entire 20* hammock setup, including hammock, tarp, 20* quilts, suspension and guylines weigh 59 ounces, and if I take my 0* quilts, it's 74 ounces. The Snugpak Cocoon alone weighs 68 ounces. That's probably fine for car camping down to about freezing (32* F), but I wouldn't want to try and hike with it.
    Good thing you dont want one then lol.I have a strong back, screw it I'll be good. Might not fit in my pack and Ill have to sling it underneath, but unless I plan on hiking 15-20 miles a day on a trip, I should be fine. And I don't plan on doing any hikes like that in the winter anyway. When I do pack it, I won't have to pack other things. So it may way more yeah, but to me its not that bad. I'm not a gram weenie or ultra light gear freak so to say . If its heavy oh well, I'll compensate and love every heavy step on my hike.

Hammock
    JustBill's Biggy Deluxe
    Tarp
    WB Super Fly
    Insulation
    Zepp/LL Ghost Pepr
    Images
    Sounds like a great option if weight's not a big concern. I have the SP top quilt and it seems really good for the money.

Hammock
    HG,Dutch,XLC ,RR
    Tarp
    Superfly, AH hex,
    Insulation
    HG, Snugpak, SLD
    Suspension
    Whoopie Ti toggle
    Images
    It really is now that they have version 2.0 out. Its just one more option for cold temps. Some people only buy cottage made gear, others only the most popular or extensive. But I don't see a problem with heavy winter gear because I don't hike far in the winter. It fills a certain niche and exploits it in my mind. Maybe I just dont know what good gear is because I only have Snugpak? Lol. I would defiantly recommend it if your on a budget but still wanna hang with the guys who have the expsnsive stuff. I have their TQ also and I'm equally impressed. I'll buy cottage stuff eventually sure, but for now it gets me in the piney woods and what more can you ask for right?

Hammock
    HG,Dutch,XLC ,RR
    Tarp
    Superfly, AH hex,
    Insulation
    HG, Snugpak, SLD
    Suspension
    Whoopie Ti toggle
    Images
    New pics of the cocoon in my insulation album. Much easier to see. Trying to upload a video of it I just made to show the upgraded a little better....

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast