Tarp
    Chinook 12x9
    Insulation
    Nada ... yet
    Suspension
    DIY whoopies
    Images

North GA day trip

Due to the family’s schedules with work and school assignments (that’s right … the crazy teachers actually assigned homework that was due on the holiday), we decided to forgo the usual Labor Day weekend trip and planned to have a day trip to the mountains. When we got up to our usual camping area, we found that it was nowhere near full; it may have been 60% full. As luck would have it, one of the larger sites with plenty of hanging spots was still open.

While the kids ran off to play in the creek, I fired up the portable grill and cranked out some burgers, hotdogs, and some chili.
    Lunch time.jpg

After lunch, my oldest daughter studied (i.e. took a nap).
    snoozing.jpg

One pic of the creek.
    a small pool.jpg

Here was my view for part of the afternoon … I ended up reading a chapter then snoozing for a while, reading another chapter and snoozing some more. All in all, not a bad way to spend the day.
    my view for the afternoon.jpg

After dinner, we worked on dessert.
    dessert time.jpg

It got a little overcast late in the afternoon and I liked how the clouds made a natural monochromatic scene.
    monochromatic.jpg

Once the sun set, we packed up and headed back to the house. Nothing spectacular, but a great way to enjoy some family time, unwind, and relax before work and school rolled back around this morning.

STinGa
    Sarcasm is a dying art.

Eagle Scout September '85 Troop 339 Smyrna, TN

Hammock
    DIY TCF Sage Green
    Tarp
    Noah's Tarp 12x12
    Insulation
    MAMW TQ, UGQ UQ
    Suspension
    webbing/whoopies
    Images
    Looks like y'all had a nice time. Care to share your spot? (I understand if you don't, good spots can be hard to come by!)

Hammock
    DIY standard gathered end (DL 1.1)
    Tarp
    Chinook 12x9
    Insulation
    Nada ... yet
    Suspension
    DIY whoopies
    Images
    John,

This is at Sarah's Creek, east of Clayton. It is right at 90 miles from the house, so it makes an easy trip. We used to stop at the Warwoman Dell day use area, but it is too close to the city and the locals (?) seem to trash it when they visit. Once we reach the half way point between Clayton and Sarah's Creek, we lose cell coverage ... I think this keeps some of the traffic down

I don't think there are any trailheads in the campground itself, but the Bartram Trail is in the area.

STinGa
    Sarcasm is a dying art.

Hammock
    DIY TCF Sage Green
    Tarp
    Noah's Tarp 12x12
    Insulation
    MAMW TQ, UGQ UQ
    Suspension
    webbing/whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by STinGa View Post
    John,

This is at Sarah's Creek, east of Clayton. It is right at 90 miles from the house, so it makes an easy trip. We used to stop at the Warwoman Dell day use area, but it is too close to the city and the locals (?) seem to trash it when they visit. Once we reach the half way point between Clayton and Sarah's Creek, we lose cell coverage ... I think this keeps some of the traffic down

I don't think there are any trailheads in the campground itself, but the Bartram Trail is in the area.

STinGa
    I know where it is. Rode by there pn the way up to Rabun Bald a few months ago. It would make a good base camp for some great day hikes in the area. Thanks!

Hammock
    DIY standard gathered end (DL 1.1)
    Tarp
    Chinook 12x9
    Insulation
    Nada ... yet
    Suspension
    DIY whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by johnspenn View Post
    I know where it is. Rode by there pn the way up to Rabun Bald a few months ago. It would make a good base camp for some great day hikes in the area. Thanks!
    Bingo! Great idea. The drive back to the camp sites isn't too bad. The first half (?) is paved and then gravel. I have seen several pop-up campers back there and even one or two larger trailers For the most part, it is a one lane road. I would hate to see two campers meet each other in the middle ... lol

There isn't any water or power that far back, but there are two bricked pit latrines and one chemical flush toilets. While my wife and daughters enjoy roughing it, they draw the line at heading to the bushes for potty breaks for more than an afternoon.

STinGa
    Sarcasm is a dying art.

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    WB SF and WL TP
    Insulation
    UGQ & HG
    Suspension
    multiple
    Images
    Looks like y'all had a good time out there. Any time spent outdoors and with family is time well spent.
    Scarecrow on Instagram

"If somebody tells you there's a rule, break it. That's the only thing that moves things forward."
    -Hans Zimmer

Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    Superfly/pole mod
    Insulation
    Burrow 0 / Yeti 0
    Suspension
    WoopieSling
    Great place to camp and get away. I love that spot. My son and I went a little farther down Warwoman Road, wanted to camp out near the river, hiking down about 3/4 of a mile we saw 4 fat rattlesnakes, decided to go back up the mountain. Great camping spots...
    I have slept in a hammock on every continent from -20 to +128, under direct and indirect fire, from frost to fungus except Antarticia.... But give me time... Thank you Uncle Sugar!

• + New Posts