Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    Dutchware Hex Tarp
    Insulation
    HG UQ or DIY UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings

Hang Your Own Hang Podcast - Episode 12 (First Hang!) Released!

In this episode, Jonathan and Mark have a chance to chat with Heather and Josh Legler, hosts of The First 40 Miles podcast, a podcast that introduces beginners to backpacking and backpacking skills. Earlier in the summer, we challenged Heather and Josh to try out hammock camping for the first time and then do a podcast episode chatting about their experience as first-timers. Heather and Josh also hosted an episode about Hammock Camping on their own podcast, which includes more about their experiences as well as a review of the gear that they used. You can find that podcast episode here.

Heather and Josh share their experience sleeping overnight in their hammocks, including the positive and negative points of working through hammock camping for the first time, getting the bugs out, and their thoughts about going camping again.

After discussing their first night, Jonathan and Mark talk with Heather and Josh about their different experiences backpacking and camping with kids.

Mark and Jonathan also discuss full-time hanging at home and the advantages or disadvantages of it, along with some of the risks of not doing it right.

Acknowledgements go this month to 2 episode sponsors – Haute Hammock, a fine purveyor of hammock-related t-shirt designs, and Yukon Outfitters, a US-based manufacturer of hammock camping gear, along with a line of outdoors-related products. Listen to our episode for a discount code on your next order!

Show Notes:
    The article about sleeping poorly the first night when traveling: Half Your Brain Stands Guard When Sleeping In A New Place
    Here is a link to the hammock forums site where you can find a group hang near you: https://hammockforums.net/forum/foru...-Trip-Planning

As always, we are also inviting comments and suggestions on our Facebook page – like us there at http://www.facebook.com/hyohpodcast and join the conversation. You can listen to or subscribe to the podcast from a link on our home page online at http://www.hyohpodcast.com or give us a review on our page in iTunes. If you are really enjoying our podcast and want to see us reach our goal of two podcasts per episode, please be sure to become a patron at https://www.patreon.com/hyohpodcast. If you’d rather not become a monthly patron but would still like to buy Mark and Jonathan a cup of coffee, go to https://paypal.me/hyohpocast to make a one-time donation. Thanks so much for hanging around!

Hammock
    WBB XLC Double Layer
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 20
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Listening to it now!

Hammock
    WBB XLC Double Layer
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 20
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Loved the part about motivating your kids to get out there and hike. My 10 year old is all about the food plan. What we will make and when are we going to eat! LOL. Which is ironic, since I have used hiking/backpacking as one of my weight loss tools the last 2 years (90 Pounds down!!)

Hammock
    DIY TCF Sage Green
    Tarp
    Noah's Tarp 12x12
    Insulation
    MAMW TQ, UGQ UQ
    Suspension
    webbing/whoopies
    Images
    Really enjoyed the podcast. I've been a First 40 Miles fan since my wife and I started our hiking and camping trips earlier this year.

It was interesting hearing about their first experience, and the challenges they faced. At least they had someone who knew what he was doing to help them- we had to figure it all out on our own (with help from the forums of course).

Also enjoyed the segment about taking kids out- thanks! Looking forward to the cold weather camping episode!

Hammock
    Chameleon,Yukon double
    Tarp
    DIY RSBTR Winter
    Insulation
    mix of Hg & DIY
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by johnspenn View Post
    It was interesting hearing about their first experience, and the challenges they faced. At least they had someone who knew what he was doing to help them- we had to figure it all out on our own (with help from the forums of course).
    I think that is a big thing with hammock camping. There are so many options on what gear to get and then how to set up that gear, it can get a little overwhelming. With a tent, its just set up a couple poles and you are all set, there is no customization to it. Although I know after that first night of not being stuck on the ground with a tree root or rock under the small of your back, I was hooked.

Hammock
    DIY TCF Sage Green
    Tarp
    Noah's Tarp 12x12
    Insulation
    MAMW TQ, UGQ UQ
    Suspension
    webbing/whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mbal1856 View Post
    ... I know after that first night of not being stuck on the ground with a tree root or rock under the small of your back, I was hooked.
    Amen Brother. If I had to sleep on the ground I just wouldn't. I can't I'm too old and brittle!

Hammock
    DreamHammock Darien
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Fiber
    Insulation
    HG Burrow/Inc
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Keep up the great work. Looking forward to listening to this tomorrow morning.

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    Dutchware Hex Tarp
    Insulation
    HG UQ or DIY UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Thanks all for the comments, and keep the suggestions coming!

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Just listened to this driving home from North Dakota. Truly enjoyed hearing the perspective from new backpacker hanging family. Heather has a great voice! Will have to check out their podcast.
    Whoooooooo Buddies)))))))
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    Dutchware Hex Tarp
    Insulation
    HG UQ or DIY UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by Shug View Post
    Just listened to this driving home from North Dakota. Truly enjoyed hearing the perspective from new backpacker hanging family. Heather has a great voice! Will have to check out their podcast.
    Whoooooooo Buddies)))))))
    Shug
    Thanks! They have gone back out hammock camping, they are definitely mentioning hammocks in more of their episodes. Here is a link to their hammock camping episode: http://www.thefirst40miles.com/090-h...mping-episode/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast