Grand Trunk SBP
    Tarp
    TRD Cloudburst
    Insulation
    PLUQ
    Suspension
    MalloMe XL Straps

First hang in the bush

I finally got to get my first hang in on Sunday. We just had a kid so we haven't had the time to get out. But we were able to squeeze it in with the in-laws sitting for the night. We went to a primitive or as I call it abandoned camp ground. Did not have much light left to set up but I was able to get everything except a tarp up. I was the only one with a hammock as everyone else had tents. I slept good but I made a fatal mistake in not treating the hammock with permethrin. I woke up in the middle of the night with the right side of my forehead, my right knee, and my left foot completely swollen and covered in mosquito bites. I wrapped my self up in my blanket and put on a stocking hat. Lesson learned. All in all, it was still great. Can't wait till the next hang. with permethrin.

0905160819.jpg0904162130.jpg
    Hang on Hangin on

Hammock
    DH Raven/SLD Trail lair
    Tarp
    UGQ WD/SLD Asym
    Insulation
    HG UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    DutchBuckle &Sling
    With the bug net you still got ate alive?? hmmm guess i need to order some premethrin asap.
    When the wife asks, I simply say "Shug made me do it".

Hammock
    Grand Trunk SBP
    Tarp
    TRD Cloudburst
    Insulation
    PLUQ
    Suspension
    MalloMe XL Straps
    Yeah they got me through the fabric. I had repellent on but I guess they cant detect it on my skin from the other side of the fabric. So they got a nice buffett.
    Hang on Hangin on

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    And who says the skitters can't bite through the fabric. This is why I only sleep in double layer hammocks. I've been through one of these nights in a single layer and it was miserable.

Hammock
    DIY TCF Sage Green
    Tarp
    Noah's Tarp 12x12
    Insulation
    MAMW TQ, UGQ UQ
    Suspension
    webbing/whoopies
    Images
    Glad everything (almost, anyway) went well with your first hang. I know that when my wife and I had our first trip, it just made us want more, and sounds like it had the same effect with you!

(Edit) Congratulations on your new progeny!

We learned to make sure we have plenty of Benedryl in our FAK for occasions such as your episode with the mosquitoes. Eases the itching and helps you sleep. On our last trip my wife got stung over thirty times by yellow jackets, and I got stung 5 times. We only had a few Benedryl so I forwent any dose and saved what we had for her. Made for an uncomfortable evening without any relief from the stinging/itching that ensued, but her case was much more dire than mine. It did help her though. When we got back I loaded our FAK up with the stuff!

I guess I've been lucky. So far I've never used my bug net overnight, and I haven't had any problems. It's always been my experience (in this area) that the skeeters are active in the evening hours but they seem to go to bed at sundown. I've been too lazy to treat my stuff with Permethrin (sp?) so far, and it's so late in the season I'll probably put it off till next spring. I do use repellent in camp, usually Off Dry or similar.

My nephew thinks we're crazy for sleeping without a net. Maybe we are! But so far it just hasn't been necessary. We've slept out at least once every month since April, and twice or more some months.

Hammock
    Dutch 11 Single Nylon
    Tarp
    cuben
    Insulation
    40* down, full.
    Suspension
    Dyneema straps.
    fwiw; most of the time when i'm thinking i'm being nailed by mosquitos, it's actually no-seeums. i can tell by the damage left behind [a cluster of swelling that i don't get with mosquitos].

sv-

Hammock
    Hybrid 1.7 GE, Happy Medium Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY Xenon Winter
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    All of them! Ugh.
    Images
    I have long suspected that when most folks say "mosquitoes" or "skeeters" they are generally referring to flying/biting insects of any kind. Most have no clue what is actually biting them. I know I don't.

• + New Posts