Tarp
    DIY Starry Night
    Insulation
    LL down quilts
    Suspension
    Beetles/huggers
    Images

NY: Couple of days on the Northville Placid Trail

Spent 2 nights on the Northville Placid Trail last week. Started at Benson Road access point. Was planning on hiking to Long Lake, but fell 3 times on the second day, so hiked out to the road at Whitehouse on the third day. Nothing life threatening, but my knees were pretty banged up and had lots of bruises and sore spots. I can say that my Spot device was worth every penny. I could not get a cell signal to call for my ride so I used my Spot to send the Come Get Me message to my family list. By the time I got a ride to the end of West River Rd and got a cell signal, my family was already on the way. I only had to wait 5-10 minutes before my brother was there to rescue me. Otherwise would have had a *much* longer wait.

So, despite injuries, I still had a pretty good time. I met a thru hiker at Cedar Lake. We chatted and I told her she looked really familiar...turns out she had just recently finished thru hiking the Finger Lakes Trail and I recognized her from her posts there. Small world! Saw 2 day hikers the first day, and a total of 3 hikers the next day.

First nights campsite was completely awesome by the West Stony Brook crossing about 6.7 miles in (got a late start that day). Listened to the sound of running water all night. Nice level site, tree with broken branches to hang stuff on, and a "cooking" stone.
    P8300081.jpgP8300088.jpgP8300089.jpgP8300091.jpg

The bridge across the Sacandaga River just before Whitehouse is not too much fun if you are not a fan of heights. You kind of have to look down to watch your foot placement as there are gaps between the boards and the bridge sways as you walk.
    P9010116.jpgP9010117.jpgP9010118.jpg

Other random pics:
    P8300086.jpgP8310093.jpgP8310101.jpgP8310103.jpgP8310107.jpg

Each trip I do, I learn more and more of what I am capable of and what I can do to improve. Only been at this hiking think for a year now, but I don't ever see myself wanting to stop.

Hammock
    DIY TCF Sage Green
    Tarp
    Noah's Tarp 12x12
    Insulation
    MAMW TQ, UGQ UQ
    Suspension
    webbing/whoopies
    Images
    Thanks for the report, HC, and the pics.

Two things about falling: 1- Everyone does it. If you're out there long enough, you will fall. That's a fact. 2- The more you hike, the less you will fall. You begin to learn about where to put your feet, and where not to. Your balance improves. Your stabilizing muscles strengthen. If you want to fall less, hike more. (Or just stay on the couch. But you can fall off of that too.)

My wife had never hiked much, and never camped out before this year. I have watched her skills grow and improve out on the trail. I used to have to help her out much more than I do now, because she has become much more strong, able and confident. Keep getting out there and getting stronger.

Good gear choice on the Spot Device. We want to get some type of PLB as well. We'll probably use our REI points next year to get something.

Kudos to your brother for driving to the rescue!

Thanks for sharing!

Hammock
    11' Mutton Chop
    Tarp
    Camo Cuben Palace
    Insulation
    Loco Libre!
    Suspension
    Straps and Slings
    Images
    Thanx for the report. This trail has just come to my attention and all info is welcome.
    Keep on hiking and camping! The best therapy there is.
    perrito

"If a man speaks in the woods, and there is no woman there to hear, is he still wrong?"

Hammock
    Darien Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    Cuban w/ doors
    Insulation
    HG 0* inc/ 20*Burw
    Suspension
    Beetle buckles
    Thats a really nice camp site! I'd sleep like a baby there. I like the colors of your gear too Thanks for sharing.

Hammock
    11' Chameleon
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie slings
    Images
    The NPT has been on my to do list for a few years now. Glad to see you got out. Too bad about the falls. I've had a trip or two that was altered due to injury as well. Sucks to cut it short,but it looks like what you did was very cool.

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    DIY Starry Night
    Insulation
    LL down quilts
    Suspension
    Beetles/huggers
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by georgecarr View Post
    The NPT has been on my to do list for a few years now. Glad to see you got out. Too bad about the falls. I've had a trip or two that was altered due to injury as well. Sucks to cut it short,but it looks like what you did was very cool.
    I did enjoy it. BTW, the purple quilts in the pics are my new Loco Libre down set. I absolutely love them and the craftsmanship is top notch!

Hammock
    11' Chameleon
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by HippieChick View Post
    I did enjoy it. BTW, the purple quilts in the pics are my new Loco Libre down set. I absolutely love them and the craftsmanship is top notch!
    Thank you! I'm glad you are enjoying them!

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Palace
    Insulation
    UGQ Amb/Ren/Ban
    Suspension
    Dutch Cinch Buckle
    I love the NPT, thanks for sharing! I section hiked it in 06 and 07 and decided that Duck Hole was my favorite spot in the Adirondacks. I was said when I saw that the dam had finally failed and Duck Hole was no more.
    Life has a melody.

• + New Posts