Clark NX270
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah
    Insulation
    KAQ/Cosmic 20
    Suspension
    oem

Moto Camper on a budget

3 season, bulk more important then weight and don't want to wait much more then a week. I was ready to buy 600 fill Kelty cosmic 20, from Amazon, to my door in 2 days about $125. Sold some gear and now can afford a Owyhee 3 season, to my door in a little over a week about $190-$195 with shipping. Thinking strictly best value, pack size, and wait time. Thoughts on this or other options?

Hammock
    HH Expedition, HH Explorer Dlx
    Tarp
    Noah 12, BCUSA 10
    Insulation
    JRB Nest, Old Rag
    Suspension
    Stock HH w/rings
    Images
    I am also a Moto Camper and I use a JRB top and bottom quilt. LINK HERE Bit more expensive that what you are looking at but I like them because they can function as a top or bottom quilt, work well with a pad when I am forced to ground, are in stock so shipping is immediate, and like most of our cottage vendors their customer service is top notch. I can compress them both down into the lower half of one saddle bag.
    Deb
    TOS Terms of Service Link
    Guidelines to New For Sale Section Link
    How to obtain access & maintain your threads in For Sale Section Link
    Guidelines for Want to Buy (WTB) Section
    Hammock Acronyms

"The older I get, the more I appreciate my rural childhood. I spent a lot of time outdoors, unsupervised, which is a blessing." Barbara Kingsolver

Hammock
    Clark NX270
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah
    Insulation
    KAQ/Cosmic 20
    Suspension
    oem
    I was looking at JRB but I have to stick with the budget for the time being and make due with the extra bulk. Higher power down will have to wait till next year. Unless you know of something sub $200.

Quote Originally Posted by dkurfiss View Post
    I am also a Moto Camper and I use a JRB top and bottom quilt.
    Curious about which top quilt you have. That's my next big purchase and I've almost settled on the Hudson River but would value any info you'd care to share about whatever JRB top quilt you have. I'm particularly interested in your experience if you use the drawstring omni tape bottom or if it's sewn.
    "...the height of hammock snobbery!"

Hammock
    Tarp
    Noah 12, BCUSA 10
    Insulation
    JRB Nest, Old Rag
    Suspension
    Stock HH w/rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by sidneyhornblower View Post
    Curious about which top quilt you have. That's my next big purchase and I've almost settled on the Hudson River but would value any info you'd care to share about whatever JRB top quilt you have. I'm particularly interested in your experience if you use the drawstring omni tape bottom or if it's sewn.
    I have two JRB Old Rags and use them both top and bottom when it is too cold on the bottom for my Nest.

I have the Omni tape and string on the bottom and so far have not experienced an issue with it. But, if it's super cold I do stuff a heavy wool sock into the bottom hole just to be sure I don't have cold air coming in.

Since I do as much family camping as I do, it means my ORM can serve a multi purpose in that I turn them both into TQ for the family and got ride of some heavy bulky sleeping bags. When family camping there is no hammocks involved as it's either tent or RV camping.

Obviously your usage may be different than mine.
    Deb
    Hammock Acronyms

"The older I get, the more I appreciate my rural childhood. I spent a lot of time outdoors, unsupervised, which is a blessing." Barbara Kingsolver

Hammock
    HH Explorer zip / LSoH WE
    Tarp
    Hennessy Hex Fly
    Insulation
    HHSS/JRB quilts
    Suspension
    Mule tape/Webbing
    Quote Originally Posted by Nelson View Post
    I was looking at JRB but I have to stick with the budget for the time being and make due with the extra bulk. Higher power down will have to wait till next year. Unless you know of something sub $200.
    The old rag is on sale for $234 right now in case that matters, pretty killer price

Hammock
    DH Raven/SLD Trail lair
    Tarp
    UGQ WD/SLD Asym
    Insulation
    HG UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    DutchBuckle &Sling
    Quote Originally Posted by Nelson View Post
    AHE is top notch. My next TQ will be an Owyhee for the lighter wether season. You won't go wrong with them, i absolutely love my jarbridge UQ from AHE.
    When the wife asks, I simply say "Shug made me do it".

Hammock
    DH Sparrow
    Tarp
    13' Winter Haven
    Insulation
    quilts
    Suspension
    Tensa4
    I am a Moto-Camper too. Because it is hard to buy everything you want I have opted to use my down sleeping bag purchased ~8 years ago as a top quilt. I know a proper top quilt would be a little lighter and pack smaller, but it is a LOT cheaper to use a bag I already own than to buy something new. The only problem is that down here in the Southern Hemisphere it is now spring and the weather is warming up, my down sleeping bag is good in winter but way to warm for late spring/all of summer/early autumn (that's 'fall' to some of you).

My next purchase will be a light weight down top quilt which should pack down very small and be enough to keep me warm on a cooler summer night. Looking at the Hammock Gear Burrow 50 and it looks like it might be just the right item for what I need. I'll still use my down sleeping bag in winter because replacing that would involve spending over $200 to reduce bulk by a small amount. I've been using a woobie blanket (poncho liner) in summer but it is quite a bit more bulky to pack than my down winter bag and I've got a 2 week trip coming up in a couple of months where I'll need to save some space.

So, what do you guys do when you buy 3-season gear but find it way to hot in summer?

Hammock
    Tarp
    Noah 12, BCUSA 10
    Insulation
    JRB Nest, Old Rag
    Suspension
    Stock HH w/rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by KiwiMark View Post
    So, what do you guys do when you buy 3-season gear but find it way to hot in summer?
    I have summer set and a 3 season set (spring/fall/winter).

Summer in VA and most of the surrounding areas, is very hot and humid with night time temps in the mid 70's with high humidity. I use a PLUQ or a fleece UQ (DIY) because I always end up cold in the middle of the night. I just push it to one side when I get into the hammock so I can quickly pull it under me when I get cold.

TQ is same. Either PLTQ or a DIY fleece TQ.

For shoulder seasons I use the winter set and just vent it.
    Deb
    Hammock Acronyms

• + New Posts