Hammock
    DIY 1.7 MTN
    Tarp
    WB Edge
    Insulation
    Incubator20,UGQ
    Suspension
    Huggers and Amstel

Any advice on a diy canvas winter tarp w/ skirt?

I just ordered a 12' x 15' 8oz cotton tarp and I would like to cut and sew to make a winter tarp for my Ridge Runner bridge hammock. I know how important a skirt is from when I ice fish, so I would definitely use one. I also have snaps in mind to close the ends around triangles so the tarp can be shorter (less room to heat). I am assuming if it is really wet snow or rain coming down, or it gets too cold I can throw another silnylon tarp over it. I will probably use propane heat (little buddy) if needed, though it gives off a lot of moisture. Hopefully the cotton will breath enough.

Anyone one see any plans for a tarp with a skirt?

What thread would you use and which needle size?

Also, someone mentioned mineral spirits and silicone to seal it, anyone know the ratio for this cotton tarp?

My plan so far is to hang my hammock, throw the tarp over the ridgeline, get some scissors and a marker, and some temporary tarp connectors and go to town!https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...milies/lol.gif

Hammock
    Trekk Lite, Enos Double
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    DIY - Costco
    Suspension
    DIY- whoopie sling
    Have you seen the smokehouse set up? https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...Winter-Shelter
    Not sure if this is what you looking for and he doesn't have plans but wouldn't be to hard to calculate and make up.

Here is the YouTube link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T3CNllM1QOM

Hammock
    DIY 11ft Hammock
    Tarp
    3m x3m MYOG Camo
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Amsteel
    Is it cotton or duck canvas? The canvas is naturally waterproof, sometimes with a dwr and breathes very well. Cotton is not, waxed cotton is waterproof to a point but will leak eventually but does breath, if you coat with any sealant it will not breath at all.
    Tacblades

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    Hinterland gear
    Insulation
    down bag
    Suspension
    strap & E.T.'s
    Images
    Actual plans will be hard to come by, but as was mentioned Smokehouse has a nice design. Seems like maybe on Wintertrekking.com I had seen a hybrid shelter that had a silnylon top with canvas sides, or maybe a mostly silnylon top and walls with a canvas section along the ridge for breathing or something, its been a while so I don't recall the specifics. If you're going to make something I'd recommend mocking up a full scale skeleton model with string then you'll have a pretty good idea of how the dimensions are going to work out before you build it and realize its 6" too small in one dimension and your hammock hits a wall or something.
    Good luck,
    RED

My Youtube Channel

Deep peace of the running wave to you.
    Deep peace of the flowing air to you.
    Deep peace of the quiet earth to you.
    Deep peace of the shining stars to you.
    Deep peace without end to you.
    adapted from - ancient gaelic runes

Hammock
    DIY 1.7 MTN
    Tarp
    WB Edge
    Insulation
    Incubator20,UGQ
    Suspension
    Huggers and Amstel
    Thanks Mpdm for the link, it helped me figure out a few things like a strap for a ridgeline, location of the tie-outs, and overall approximate dimensions. Really helpful!

Tacblades, it is a dropcloth canvas "TCP Global 12' x15' Extra Large Heavyweight Canvas Drop Cloth - 8 oz 100% Cotton Duck." I believe this is duck canvas to prevent paint from seeping through. I am glad you mentioned that a coating will stop it from being breathable, because it really needs to be breathable with a propane heater (my non-insulated pop up ice hut literally rains inside from the moisture the burnt propane gives off. I am replacing it this year). I can definitely stop thinking about coating it.

Thanks guys!

Hammock
    DIY 1.7 MTN
    Tarp
    WB Edge
    Insulation
    Incubator20,UGQ
    Suspension
    Huggers and Amstel
    Redoleary, thanks for the advice. I will not cut anything until it is all marked up where all the sewing needs to be. I am hoping to dye the whole thing green or brown for camouflage and to hide all my marker writings. Anyone every dye something like this? What did you use?

I was thinking about the hybrid set up, but I will only do this if the sides are too short. I am thinking about sewing in a plastic window with some plastic I have left over from an ice hut mod I did. I have 2' x 3' piece that would make a great window. It will probably condensate right over, but it could also work well.

Hammock
    Robic XL 1.1oz 11'
    Tarp
    RSBTR PU4000 tarps
    Insulation
    UGQ 0* 20* 40* set
    Suspension
    Multi buckle web
    I did a drop cloth canvas Hot Tent last yr

I used a 16/100 Jean needle with Gutermann #22 cream thread

If your just tossing it over the ridge line I would not go and do anything ...just let it drape.
    So......
    I would jump in full bore and build it as a tent ....Build it to your needs
    Mine is 12' ridge line 58" on long roof 48" on the other. Short wall is 2', long wall 58", width about 2' on short side and about 44" on longer side. I put in a #10 zipper with 3 pulls on each end. Top pull zips going down middle pull zips going up and bottom pull zips going down ( this all allows adjust for the Hammock suspension)
    I used cheap poly tarp for the skirts sewn in.
    And I use a poly tarp for the less than cold or snowy days on the roof.
    I use a ridge pole to hold it all up....using anything else like rope or webbing will sag unless you can get it guitar string tight.

For cold rainy shoulder season days I am in the process of building the same Hot Tent using Silpoly PU4000.

Other things
    Wash the Canvas in Hot Hot water to shrink the heck out of it....tightens the weave up
    Do not do anything else to the canvas...it is what it is
    I would not burn anything inside the canvas unless it is vented...as in a chimney to vent combustion gases...but each to there own.

TZ Brown also built a Hot Tent (Not from Canvas) but will also give you some thoughts

So get crafting and let us know how it is working out
    Build your own build.

'
    Life is too Short to not feed the addiction....Hang on and explore the World

Hammock
    Robic XL 1.1oz 11'
    Tarp
    RSBTR PU4000 tarps
    Insulation
    UGQ 0* 20* 40* set
    Suspension
    Multi buckle web
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishbite View Post
    Redoleary, thanks for the advice. I will not cut anything until it is all marked up where all the sewing needs to be. I am hoping to dye the whole thing green or brown for camouflage and to hide all my marker writings. Anyone every dye something like this? What did you use?

I was thinking about the hybrid set up, but I will only do this if the sides are too short. I am thinking about sewing in a plastic window with some plastic I have left over from an ice hut mod I did. I have 2' x 3' piece that would make a great window. It will probably condensate right over, but it could also work well.
    Here is one dyed canvas tarp

The plastic/clear vinyl window will be a fantastic addition ....definitely add it in and I bet it does not condensate.

Hammock
    DIY 1.7 MTN
    Tarp
    WB Edge
    Insulation
    Incubator20,UGQ
    Suspension
    Huggers and Amstel
    BKRGI, thank you for all the information. The dimensions are very helpful to give me some starting points. The ridgepole is a great idea in my opinion and possible because I have already decided I will not carry all the stuff in, and instead use my homemade "Smitty sled" I have for ice fishing. Plus with a ridge pole and two simple legs, I would only need one tree: this opens up a lot of great areas to hang. I may even be able to use the legs as part of the tarp set up with buttons or some attachment points. Also the poly skirt is a great idea. It will be muddy and the poly will clean much better than canvas. I must say there are at least 20 other great things I have learned from your post and the videos. Thank you!

Hammock
    Robic XL 1.1oz 11'
    Tarp
    RSBTR PU4000 tarps
    Insulation
    UGQ 0* 20* 40* set
    Suspension
    Multi buckle web
    wooohooo
    I look forward to seeing what you put together...I say your now headed in the right direction for a awesome build for you.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast