Hammock
    DIY 1.7 MTN
    Tarp
    WB Edge
    Insulation
    Incubator20,UGQ
    Suspension
    Huggers and Amstel
    I kind of have to try the window idea. Coincidentally, I put a poly tarp up today in my yard using the marble method (grommets tore out). Cool canvas tent idea with 9 x 12 tarp. I could see using a 9 x 12 piece of Tyvek and some mesh for the doorway (tied to two support poles or hiking poles). I looked up some weights and the Tyvek would weight about 23 oz without any tie outs, mesh, or grosgrain. What I really like about it, is you can face the fire and it also reflects the heat.
    You mentioned washing the tarp so it shrinks. I will probably wash it and dye it several times, at the same time.
    I really appreciate all the information!

Hammock
    Robic XL 1.1oz 11'
    Tarp
    RSBTR PU4000 tarps
    Insulation
    UGQ 0* 20* 40* set
    Suspension
    Multi buckle web
    Here is a vid of a snowtrekker tent with a vinyl window in the door
    It certainly allows the outdoors in

I have considered adding one to my Canvas Tent

If your truly going after some heat in the shelter I would go look at the Ti wood stoves say from seekoutside.com Super easy to do a stove jack using a welders blanket and some silicone to stop the fiberglass thread from taking off
    Even check over at wintertrekking.com and the forum there for ideas
    Life is too Short to not feed the addiction....Hang on and explore the World

Quote Originally Posted by bkrgi View Post
    I did a drop cloth canvas Hot Tent last yr

I used a 16/100 Jean needle with Gutermann #22 cream thread

If your just tossing it over the ridge line I would not go and do anything ...just let it drape.
    So......
    I would jump in full bore and build it as a tent ....Build it to your needs
    Mine is 12' ridge line 58" on long roof 48" on the other. Short wall is 2', long wall 58", width about 2' on short side and about 44" on longer side. I put in a #10 zipper with 3 pulls on each end. Top pull zips going down middle pull zips going up and bottom pull zips going down ( this all allows adjust for the Hammock suspension)
    I used cheap poly tarp for the skirts sewn in.
    And I use a poly tarp for the less than cold or snowy days on the roof.
    I use a ridge pole to hold it all up....using anything else like rope or webbing will sag unless you can get it guitar string tight.

For cold rainy shoulder season days I am in the process of building the same Hot Tent using Silpoly PU4000.

Other things
    Wash the Canvas in Hot Hot water to shrink the heck out of it....tightens the weave up
    Do not do anything else to the canvas...it is what it is
    I would not burn anything inside the canvas unless it is vented...as in a chimney to vent combustion gases...but each to there own.

TZ Brown also built a Hot Tent (Not from Canvas) but will also give you some thoughts

So get crafting and let us know how it is working out
    Build your own build.

'
    Thank you... It looks awesome

Quote Originally Posted by Fishbite View Post
    I just ordered a 12' x 15' 8oz cotton tarp and I would like to cut and sew to make a winter tarp for my Ridge Runner bridge hammock. I know how important a skirt is from when I ice fish, so I would definitely use one. I also have snaps in mind to close the ends around triangles so the tarp can be shorter (less room to heat). I am assuming if it is really wet snow or rain coming down, or it gets too cold I can throw another silnylon tarp over it. I will probably use propane heat (little buddy) if needed, though it gives off a lot of moisture. Hopefully the cotton will breath enough.

Anyone one see any plans for a tarp with a skirt?

What thread would you use and which needle size?

Also, someone mentioned mineral spirits and silicone to seal it, anyone know the ratio for this cotton tarp?

My plan so far is to hang my hammock, throw the tarp over the ridgeline, get some scissors and a marker, and some temporary tarp connectors and go to town!https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...milies/lol.gif
    I think you can choose duck canvas for your hammock... This is very good for waterproof hammock...

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by katiejohnson View Post
    I think you can choose duck canvas for your hammock... This is very good for waterproof hammock...
    But who would want a waterproof hammock? Hammocks need to breathe; otherwise you're bathing in condensation, which is why no reputable vendor sells a waterproof hammock.
    Last edited by SilvrSurfr; 06-19-2022 at 14:30.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    Who can choose?
    Tarp
    DW Bonded P2F
    Insulation
    Unicorn Fur
    Suspension
    Beckett hitch
    Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    But who would want a waterproof hammock? Hammocks need to breathe; otherwise you're bathing in condensation, which is why no reputable vendor sells a waterproof hammock.
    I can see the next Kickstarter now - the latest in backcountry luxury ... the Hammock Bathtub! Hygiene and comfort all in one! With a mesh ridgeline soap holder!

Would need serious heavy-duty suspension, and heating the water might be interesting ...
    Medical professional, semi-professional Scouter, aspiring layabout.
    "If it's stupid, and it works - it's not stupid."

S487-132

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by DocTheo View Post
    I can see the next Kickstarter now - the latest in backcountry luxury ... the Hammock Bathtub!
    Of course, anyone who would consider a waterproof hammock would want to be able to fill up the hammock during a strong rain. No tarp needed! By the way, water is a great insulator - no quilts needed.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    And it's Carbon Fiber!
    https://tinyurl.com/2p8zww7e
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Hammock
    my 11' ers
    Tarp
    many of my tarps
    Insulation
    yeti, Incubators
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie
    Images
    My smokehouses normally take 20yds of fabric.. and I use 10oz army duck when making a canvas SH... what I did was make several paper models 1" = 1' to figure out the design I wanted. you may have to add more canvas if making a large shelter... I also use a poly tarp on top just because I want to stay bone dry...
    my mini is 11' long, 2' wall and 5' tall. 17yds
    sh1 is 11' long 29" wall and 6' tall... 20 yds.
    If using a wood stove you will need fiberglass cloth.. I use 2 layers and sew kevlar thread size#138 (high temp) ring around before cutting hole...

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12