Tarp
    Razor Hex SilPoly
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopies
    Images

Catastrophic Tarp failure!!!

Catastrophic Tarp failure!!! (not the tarp's fault), My brothers and I were out on our usual weekend camping outing, nothing special just at the back of a brothers farm, I had my hammock set up on my tripods (no trees this close to the house), slept the first night in the pouring rain, it rained for about four hours quite hard and lightening, not sure of any results that may have happened if one of my tripods were to get hit with a bolt (yikes). I guess that would be a good explanation of a fried bear Burrito.

On Saturday we were trying to enjoy the cloudy wet day and one brother playing ball with his dog got too close to my setup, not being close at the time I just herd the VERY pain full heart dropping sound... And the result...

I guess it takes a dog to make you rethink strategy with the price for this equipment, I was using the Nite Ize lines (don't know it's brake strength but now I know it's too high) with 10" of 1/4" shock cord for tension that allowed about 6" of stretch and that didn't help. The force the dog hit the line with was so high the line took up the stretch from the shock cord then actually sliced the shock cord off at the knot and RIPPPP........

So for anyone that figures this won't happen to you, think again, it could even be a simple trip on the line at night. With the price of this winter tarp and now the repair, previous thinking and looking at quite a few posts about super strong guy lines having tarps so tight they can be used as a trampoline (I know it looks pretty) and such but it's not worth it, my new line set up will break away way before this happens and if it's a hang with very strong winds I will have to deal with that when it happens...

I will be posting another update with the repair that was done on the tarp.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Lynx or Pads
    Suspension
    Straps and Biners
    Images
    Wow, sorry to see the damage. This is what has me shying away from going with zing-it for guy lines. I switched to some smaller 100lb test cord after one of the kids in the campground tripped over a guy line last year. Luckily the force snapped a small s-biner I used to secure one end of my ridgeline. It surprisingly didn't pull out any of the y-stakes and the little girl did a pretty serious face plant. After that experience I've been really scared of having lines significantly stronger than the tarp itself. I don't want the tarp to break free in a stiff wind but I'm more than happy to splice a broken guy line back together rather than tear a corner off.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    I've been hammock camping for six years using Zing-It 1.75 mm for my tarp. I don't plan on changing that for a dog or a kid or a startled deer or anything else.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    DIY 11ft Hammock
    Tarp
    3m x3m MYOG Camo
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Amsteel
    I usually but a bit of shock cord just a small loop on the tarp, then guy line to that. Just takes a bit of sudden loads out of the line. Not sure it would have saved it in this case tho?
    Tacblades

Hammock
    11' 1.6 Hexon
    Tarp
    D.I.Y. 12' winter
    Insulation
    cool weather
    Suspension
    Poly. S.S. Beckett
    Images
    I use 100 lb test utility cord that I found works great with line loc 3's. I think my 6" stakes would pull out before this kind of damage. Not certain tho.

What tarp is that? I know it has nothing to do with brand, I'm just curious.

Hammock
    Warrior Edge UL - LSoH
    Tarp
    'Razor' Hex - LSoH
    Insulation
    LSoH Toaster TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Various

Thought I would chime in here. I made the tarp and its using membrane silpoly. Roger sent it back to me since, (I had offered to fix it for free). We weren't exactly sure how that dog hit it or if the dog ended up touching the tarp as well as the line. I took off a couple inches and rehemmed it. It didn't affect the doors. Has a bit of a cat cut to it now
    I think it's a good reminder that silpoly stays tight and doesn't have the same give as silnylon does. Important to build a failure point into the system that isn't the fabric itself.

Hammock
    11' 1.6 Hexon
    Tarp
    D.I.Y. 12' winter
    Insulation
    cool weather
    Suspension
    Poly. S.S. Beckett
    Images
    It wouldn't surprise me at all that a nail got it started in tearing. A dog carries a lot of momentum and when falling is dead weight.

Firesong, I hear you're the Dutch of the north country. Thank you for making the repair and being a top notch vender. Customer service is a lost art of business.

Hammock
    Warrior ‘Edge’
    Tarp
    Razor Hex SilPoly
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopies
    Images
    While I was still camping after the tarp was damaged I messaged Firesong telling him what happened, he graciously offered his help to try a repair without seeing the damage, when I got home I sent him a picture and the reply was very encouraging.
    I sent the tarp off to James and I think within two days after he received the tarp it was back in the mail to me. I finally got it set up to see the repair and I was without words, you can't tell until you take a close look at the seam that anything was done to it.

I am again thanking James for his generous offer to try the repair and a huge thank you for the awesome repair work, you can't beat that.

Finally a picture of the tarp after the fantastic repair job by Firesong. The damaged corner is in the bottom left in the picture...

And my additional mod taken from Outdoor Adventures https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TaDq...ature=youtu.be

Doors shown outside in picture, also works on the inside of the tarp

Last edited by Speedy54; 09-04-2016 at 07:53.

Hammock
    Warrior Edge UL - LSoH
    Tarp
    'Razor' Hex - LSoH
    Insulation
    LSoH Toaster TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Various

I had 2 dogs blow out a tent fly a number of years ago... In laws ... (Sigh). They did buy me a new fly after some guilt tripping
    Last edited by Firesong; 09-04-2016 at 09:17.

Hammock
    Mine-ziz.... Nachos
    Tarp
    Yuge
    Insulation
    safishent
    Suspension
    MSH, 1.4gpf straps
    I use dacron for my tie outs. Thus far I have zero complaints, and it's been hundreds upon hundreds - if not thousands - of miles and many, many nights now now...

So the Tarp - That was damaged by the Dog - Is getting a Cat Cut - To Remedy the issue?

Pretty clever...

And a Very Good job to You James for fixing it!!

u.w.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast