Catastrophic Tarp failure!!! (not the tarp's fault), My brothers and I were out on our usual weekend camping outing, nothing special just at the back of a brothers farm, I had my hammock set up on my tripods (no trees this close to the house), slept the first night in the pouring rain, it rained for about four hours quite hard and lightening, not sure of any results that may have happened if one of my tripods were to get hit with a bolt (yikes). I guess that would be a good explanation of a fried bear Burrito.

On Saturday we were trying to enjoy the cloudy wet day and one brother playing ball with his dog got too close to my setup, not being close at the time I just herd the VERY pain full heart dropping sound... And the result...

I guess it takes a dog to make you rethink strategy with the price for this equipment, I was using the Nite Ize lines (don't know it's brake strength but now I know it's too high) with 10" of 1/4" shock cord for tension that allowed about 6" of stretch and that didn't help. The force the dog hit the line with was so high the line took up the stretch from the shock cord then actually sliced the shock cord off at the knot and RIPPPP........

So for anyone that figures this won't happen to you, think again, it could even be a simple trip on the line at night. With the price of this winter tarp and now the repair, previous thinking and looking at quite a few posts about super strong guy lines having tarps so tight they can be used as a trampoline (I know it looks pretty) and such but it's not worth it, my new line set up will break away way before this happens and if it's a hang with very strong winds I will have to deal with that when it happens...

I will be posting another update with the repair that was done on the tarp.