DH Raven/Darien
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    Loco Libre/HG/SLD
    Suspension
    Myerstech/Becket

Hammock Condensation

Hello, I know this topic has been covered on the forum; but I have not stumbled upon my specific question as it relates to fighting condensation in the hammock. I am a new hanger, and do not yet have the funds for a proper UQ (I do plan on purchasing or making one down the road). In the meantime, I am using a vehicle sun shade. It's thin, extremely light, and not noisy. I think I paid under $4 for it from Wally World.

Anyway, my question is this- Will wearing clothes inside the hammock- such as a fleece and pants, help stave off condensation? Or does it really make no difference? My hammock is a single layer. So, I don't have the option to place the pad between layers. I'm thinking that by having some clothing between me and the pad- along with my sleeping bag in between, might be enough to keep the condensation at bay. My other concern would be sleeping too hot- and causing myself to sweat.

Does anyone have experience using a sun shade as bottom insulation? And if so, what did you do to fight the condensation? Thank you for any help!

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    You can't fight condensation. Some people either aren't prone to condensation or don't notice it. However, I get condensation and so do all my kids. The lower the temps, the worse the condensation. I gave up pads after a 22* F night that left me and my son in pools of condensation.

A double-layer hammock certainly won't do anything. Wearing clothing between you and the pad just means that there's more stuff to get wet. Condensation occurs because of temperature difference between the inside of the pad (where you are) and the outside of the pad (exposed to the night air). Some folks put a fleece blanket on the pad, and the fleece soaks up the condensation. I tried this too, and all I ended up with was a wet fleece.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    Robic XL 1.1oz 11'
    Tarp
    RSBTR PU4000 tarps
    Insulation
    UGQ 0* 20* 40* set
    Suspension
    Multi buckle web
    You will not win the condensation battle at all as Silvr has pointed out.
    Save the pennies or just bite the bullet for a proper underquilt now.
    Life is too Short to not feed the addiction....Hang on and explore the World

Hammock
    Hybrid 1.7 GE, Happy Medium Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY Xenon Winter
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    All of them! Ugh.
    Images
    Is this for backpacking/camping or home use?

I also suffered with any kind of pad or sos blanket. Last winter we tried many different arrangements while waiting for our down UQ's to be completed. For indoor use only, what worked for us was a diy "uq" made from an old flannel sheet with a piece of flexible 1" OPEN cell foam slipped in between it and the hammock. It was not a very good setup but it did breathe, allowing us to sleep well. BTW, we keep our thermostats at 60*. I don't recall if I tried it in the back yard or not, but I would never consider such a contraption for camping.

Senior Member Theguywitheyebrows's Avatar
    Hammock
    DUTCHWARE HEXON 1.0
    Tarp
    GoldenEagle Tarp
    Insulation
    New River/DIY TQ
    Suspension
    J-bend on straps
    Images
    A PLUQ with a mylar space sheet also causes condensation. Cant beat it. A PLUQ with a fleece blanket INSIDE it is considerably warmer than a PLUQ without. I have a unique (and also crude) PLUQ design in my gallery that you can build your own from. My brother uses a mylar sheet inside his PLUQ and it works for hom. Long as its not any warm at all, that boy creates heat lol
    J-Bend HERE -> http://youtu.be/Rk-P-MVnMPk
    J. Garcia
    Quote Originally Posted by Shug Emery
    "The only thing perfect in this hammock world is the sleep" @ 6:52 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7HHncxp_SvA

Hammock
    DIY 11ft Hammock
    Tarp
    3m x3m MYOG Camo
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Amsteel
    If money is tight try to grab an old second hand down sleeping bag and convert it into an underquilt
    Tacblades

Hammock
    WBRR or Clark North American
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Ridge Reaper
    Suspension
    Cinch/Helios/Atlas
    I would think condensation is really caused by two things...
    Source - your biggest source is your breathing. The biggest cause of moisture build up is lack of fabric breathability.

With my Clark NA hammock the weather shield is breathable. I use the Thermarest Slacker hammock warmer underneath because it breathes.
    With my Exped Scout Combi I use an UQ with a Eureka Chrysalis. This has large vents in the top for warm/moist air to escape but I have to make sure the vents are wide open or I get condensation.

Air movement is good for clearing the moist air but not so good for keeping warm... Being wet is usually worse for keeping warm. I doubt your current reflective pad breathes at all. It's all a bit of a balancing act!

Hammock
    Argon 11 ft or HH BKUL
    Tarp
    Asym DIY Pole Mod
    Insulation
    DIY, Jarbrige,HHSS
    Suspension
    Lashings
    Images
    You can absorb the condensation by wrapping your sunscreen (or pad) in a flannel sheet or wrap in a fleece blanket to separate you from the dampness. I did this for years when using a pad prior to UQs. It works for all temps - but you need to air dry the sheet the next day. But, when it's raining you can flip it over and get one more dry night.

Fleece clothing helps too but the temps need to be mid 60's of below or you'll be too hot.
    Enjoying the simple things in life -
    Own less, live more.

Hammock
    Hennesy
    Tarp
    various
    Insulation
    pads, foam
    Images
    Use synthetic fleece over the pad. Avoid cotton flannel or cotton fleece. The difference is how water is transported in the different materials.

Use a cover or partial cover to limit air movement over the hammock. It reduces air flow thus creating a pocket of warmer drier air over the sleeper. Do not cover your heard as you need to let your water laden breath clear the hammock. You will always get wet around your face because you exhale between a pint and quart of water overnight.

Open cell foam works well as an insulator if you can deal with the bulk and cover it with a wind proof layer. It's heavy and bulky compared to down but works well and is the basis for the Hennessy Super Shelter bottom as well as the filling in self inflating air pads. You can also slip some in a PLUQ.
    YMMV

HYOH

Free advice worth what you paid for it. ;-)

Fighting a losing battle

• + New Posts