Warbonnet Blackbird XLC 2.0
    Tarp
    WB Mambajamba
    Insulation
    Down quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Quote Originally Posted by FJRpilot View Post
    A lot of folks say that the reason these fires are so damaging, is that for years we have suppressed fire allowing a buildup of material that would not normally happen if these smaller fires were just left to burn. Well... Now these fires are huge and basically we can't to anything to contain them. In effect ridding the forests of all that flammable material.
    That's exactly the kind of mismanagement I'm talking about. We should have already learned that lesson by now. Decades of suppressing forest fires lead to the massive Yellowstone wildfire in 1988 that almost destroyed the park. I don't know if that is the case with this particular fire in the Sawtooths as you suggest, but if so only goes to further illustrate my point that the federal agencies aren't really doing a great job managing and preserving these lands. I believe that the States and the people that actually live and work in these areas are the best suited to know how to properly manage their lands. There are many examples of great state parks that aren't exploited for profit.

Hammock
    DIY Bridge /Draumr
    Tarp
    DIY Silpoly
    Insulation
    DIY UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    PolyStraps/Huggers
    Quote Originally Posted by RichardDavies View Post
    That's exactly the kind of mismanagement I'm talking about. We should have already learned that lesson by now.
    It's pretty hard to learn when the general public (local folks) want the fires put out so there homes, Barns and trees adjacent to the national forest in question don't burn down.

federal agencies aren't really doing a great job managing and preserving these lands.
    Usually it's "local" federal officers who make the recommendations on how specific forests should be managed. They in turn are motivated by local residents who want to use the lands as a way to make money off the lands. If the land were put back in state control, they would be privatized, and Forrest would be cut down and giant mines would be opened to provide work for the local economy. Also people with the means would build personal vacation retreats on what was once public lands. Google "Sun Ranch" if you want an example of a EcoFriendly real estate development.

I believe that the States and the people that actually live and work in these areas are the best suited to know how to properly manage their lands.
    I actually wish that states took a more proactive stance to do what you suggest. In most case's, lack of funds, bowing to local interests and flat out greed prevents this from happening. We as a species tend to be pretty short sighted when it comes to managing assets for the public good. We are much better at looking out after our own interests. The mine spill in Colorado jumps to mind.

There are many examples of great state parks that aren't exploited for profit.
    There is a pretty big difference of scale between a state park and a national forest.

I believe we both want the same thing, wild spaces that both our kids and grandkids will enjoy for generations to come. I'd love to have this debate with you over a campfire at the 7th Idaho Sawtooth hang. I think we would both have fun

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    “The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men should do nothing.”

- Edmund Burke

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12