Hammock
    Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    DIY Asym w/Xenon W
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings

Lost Maples SNA Hike/Hang/Ground Dwelling

Just thought I would share our last trip I took out to Lost Maples SNA. We learned quickly on our first night how NOT to setup a hammock tarp! It's a bit lengthy, but this is the first video I've made of any trip I've been on, and was shot on my phone. Let me know what you think.https://youtu.be/oja7h1Qffio
    “We are more alike, my friends, than we are unalike.”
    ― Maya Angelou

Hammock
    Freebird, HHExUL w/zip mod
    Tarp
    HM Suite, UGQ, HG
    Insulation
    WB Yeti, 5n1 Jerry
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    I love Lost Maples.

I find that the most memorable trips have two factors in common, for me anyway, first a long drive and the second is rain.

Thanks for sharing the trip report!
    Texas Fall Group Hang 2019

Looking back to last year to reminisce and forward to post Covid-19 hangs in 2021

Texas Hammock Hangers Facebook Group

Hammock
    Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    DIY Asym w/Xenon W
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Yes I've noticed that as well. I guess it was about balance because the following day/night was perfect.

"We are more alike, my friends,
    than we are unalike." Maya Angelou
    ― Maya Angelou

Hammock
    ENO reactor
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    My buddy and I are looking at going. We're not the best of shape but we do hike and camp as often as possible. Another mutual friend of ours wants to go, which we try to encourage, but would this be a good starter trip for someone?
    Also want to talk my buddy into using one of my hammocks for the trip. (He uses a tarp and bivy)
    Did you take the east or west loop? Sorry so many questions but it's over 6 hours drive for us and I'd hate to plan a crummy trip. (They may not let me pick again. )

Hammock
    Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    DIY Asym w/Xenon W
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Nothing wrong with asking questions. You are in the right place for that if you ask me! As far as being in shape, I am definitely not in much of any kind of shape. I'm 32 years old, 6'2" about 230, and don't do to much exercising, sadly to say. We started off taking the West trail, and worked our way around to the east trail. From campsite C we headed north on the East Trail. This portion of the trail was brutal. This may have been due to the fact that we hiked from Camp E all the way around, and that was just about the last leg of our hike that day, but it is pretty steep and rocky. If you are interested in camping at Camp A or B I would highly recommend taking the East trail right off the bat. I've included a map with a red arrow point at the part of the trail that I believe to be the most challenging, at least taking it north bound. Trails Map_Page_1.jpg Heading down that section the following morning was not bad at all. The park overall is a great choice to try in my opinion. It is beautiful out there. I've posted a video on my YouTube channel of our trip. Here's a link to that if you are interested. https://youtu.be/oja7h1Qffio
    ― Maya Angelou

Hammock
    ENO reactor
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    We looked at g and h to stay but thought about staying one night on the east trail one on the west trail. If you have seen all the sites, do you have a recommendation for a particular one. We would prefer being secluded and a plenty of trees.
    Last edited by Texas_toothpick; 09-22-2016 at 11:31.

Hammock
    Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    DIY Asym w/Xenon W
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Well as far as G and H, we did not catch that loop at all, so I cannot speak for those two sites. The only other site we did not check out was A. Seclusion would definitely depend on how busy the sites are when you are there. Our first night for example. We camped at Site E which felt nice and secluded, nobody around, and never saw anyone. At around 1-2 am however, and fairly large group showed up and trekked passed us. They camped out a little ways away, but we could still hear them, but they didn't bother us. With site E you are kind of backed up to the Park Boundary, but if you went to G you could probably trek a little further in for a more primitive experience. Although I don't know how the park rules are about straying away and camping outside of the designated areas. Either way, I think you will still have a good time.
    ― Maya Angelou

Hammock
    ENO reactor
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Thanks for the info. As for secluded we just hate when people are right on top of us, or partying till 3 am. I won't have my truck to crank and turn head lights on their camp for a 5 am wake up. That's the reason we started going way off the beaten path to avoid inconsiderate folks like that.

This will also be my first time cool weather hang. I'm hoping my thermarest scout is up to it. I'm nervous the wind is gonna be something crazy at the higher elevations.

Hammock
    Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    DIY Asym w/Xenon W
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Just be prepared for those late night storms, thoughts will make you chilly too!

"We are more alike, my friends,
    than we are unalike." Maya Angelou
    ― Maya Angelou

Hammock
    ENO reactor
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Lol. Thanks. I'll post a report when we return.

• + New Posts