Tarp
    WB Edge & Superfly
    Insulation
    HG & UkHammock
    Suspension
    Stock WB
    Images

Warbonnet BB XLC or regular BB

A quick question. I am about 5'9 (180 cm) long. Should I go for the Warbonnet BB XLC or the regular BB. Would like to save some weight but is a bit worried but sacrifice some comfort..

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    I wish I had the XLC to compare. Maybe someone who has both can chime in. But I'm also 5'9", 165lb and my blackbird (older version ~2012) is comfortable. I'm fine with it but I guess it could be better. It's the 1.1DL material. But I now sleep in plain hammocks without ridgelines or netting for maximum comfort.

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB and Traveler
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    HG And WB quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopies/webbing
    I had the original BB, then the XLC and now the newer version BB. I too am 5'9" and felt like I was swimming in the XLC. The weight savings was important to me as well but not the determining factor.

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    One more thing - when I'm lying in the comfortable position (almost center, slightly towards the head end) my feet don't even really get into the foobox. So there's loose material, almost like a curtain, hiding my feet. Again, that's on the standard model. So I can see the XLC being a bit much.

Images
    I have owned both and the XLC has far less calf ridge to deal with. That said an 11' hammock usually required a larger tarp so it can be a slippery slope weight wise.

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    dyi
    Insulation
    DIY
    Suspension
    Varies
    I am short 65 in. long. I tried the Xl, it was way more fabric than I wanted. After a lot of testing I found less is best for me. I only use a net when the bugs are impossible. For me theBB works best for me to exit and is not as confining as the bigger hammock.
    It a comes down to personal choice.

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' Hexon1.6 burntcoyote
    Tarp
    DIY ASYM
    Insulation
    Jarbridge UQ/CDT
    Suspension
    Dyno-Poly Beetles
    It's hard to tell from the descriptions, does the BB have noseeum at the foot box like the XLC? The visibility is a major attractant of the XLC. I've gone back and forth, but always end up wanting to lean towards the XLC.

Hammock
    WBBBXLC/Dutch/WL/DH
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream12
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Dutchware/Amsteel
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by tstark View Post
    It's hard to tell from the descriptions, does the BB have noseeum at the foot box like the XLC? The visibility is a major attractant of the XLC. I've gone back and forth, but always end up wanting to lean towards the XLC.
    I just asked Warbonnet that same question earlier this week. The reply I received from Ryan Mesch(WB) was yes the footbox on the standard Blackbird was updated with the noseeum fabric like the XLC.

Biped, I am also similar in height and find the XLC to be very spacious and unconfining. I did have a minor calf ridge issue but shortening the ridgeline (a few wraps around a carabiner) and lowering the head-end 8"-12" fixed it. I will eventually get a shorter ridgeline but for now the carabiner trick works just fine.

The standard Blackbird might be a better fit for me but I love the extra room to stretch that I have in the XLC.
    Semper Paratus - Fidelis - Vigilans - Soli Deo Gloria
    | FAITH | FAMILY | FREEDOM |
    Instagram:
    @2ndSamuel22

Hammock
    WB BB DBL 1.1
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    Wooki UQ / Down SB
    Suspension
    WB webbing/buckles
    Your calculation is a bit off, as 5'9" is only 175cm. 180cm is 5'11"

I'm 5'10" and have the regular BB (new model) and I can confirm the footbox has nooseeum netting on top, as well as on the lower section of just above the zippers (was solid in the old BB). Then I'm in the sweet spot, my feet are all the way up in the footbox, but that might be because of my "heavy chest" :P (I'm 205lbs / 93kg).

Personally, while I love my blackbird, I think the XLC would be even better comfortwise, but I wanted dual zipper, didn't want to spend another 25$ on my first hammock and didn't want the extra 5oz weight.
    Not to mention that IF I bought an XLC, it would be including the wintercover, adding another 65$...

Hammock
    WB Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    WB Edge & Superfly
    Insulation
    HG & UkHammock
    Suspension
    Stock WB
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by massis View Post
    Your calculation is a bit off, as 5'9" is only 175cm. 180cm is 5'11"

I'm 5'10" and have the regular BB (new model) and I can confirm the footbox has nooseeum netting on top, as well as on the lower section of just above the zippers (was solid in the old BB). Then I'm in the sweet spot, my feet are all the way up in the footbox, but that might be because of my "heavy chest" :P (I'm 205lbs / 93kg).

Personally, while I love my blackbird, I think the XLC would be even better comfortwise, but I wanted dual zipper, didn't want to spend another 25$ on my first hammock and didn't want the extra 5oz weight.
    Not to mention that IF I bought an XLC, it would be including the wintercover, adding another 65$...
    Yes I was :-) I am 180 cm and about 90kg. I am used to small tents and would like some more space inside the hammock if possible. (I am a bit tired of bugg net in my face if possible). The problem is that I have not the possibility to test any hammock. I am also thinking of a HH Expedition Ultralight.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast