Hammock
    DIY Standard Multicam
    Insulation
    JRB HSS,JRB GL3
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie Slings

New To DIY Projects

I have ordered a couple yards of fabric for some practice items. I ordered a sample pack of different types/weights. My question is : I feel overwhelmed with all of the choices or am I way over thinking this . Eventually I want to make own Hammock and Tarp. Any suggestions or ideas are appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Hammock
    Dutch/SLD/WB/DIY
    Tarp
    DWG/HG/SLD/UGQ/DIY
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    Hammocks (gathered end netless ones, anyway) are easy, because the only sewing skill you have to possess is the ability to sew a long, straight, relatively even line of stitches. Comparatively, most tarps are harder because you usually have to sew something more complex, like a French or flat-felled seam at the ridge line or caternary cut roll hems along the edges.

My recommended progression to build skills and confidence would be...

1) Stuff sack (Actually can be more challenging than a hammock, but you won't cry if it's a total loss of materials...)

2) Gathered-end hammock, single- or double-layer

3) Fronkey-style bug net

4) Top quilt or underquilt (UQ is usually more challenging because of suspension design)

5) Tarp (most challenging in terms of design and skills, and often most expensive fabric)

DIY hammock gear builds are very rewarding; do your homework, go slow, and treat each new project as a learning experience. Most of all, have fun...
    Last edited by kitsapcowboy; 08-31-2016 at 00:19.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Dutchware
    Images
    See if the vendors offer samples of the materials. Dutch offers samples and also has remnants for sale. You could get the samples to feel what the fabric is like so that you have an idea of what they would be good for in your case.

I just made a hammock using Hexon 1.6 wide from Dutch. There is more give to the fabric than in my warbonnet blackbird, but the stretch is nice and comfy. Very soft. I was very happy with the material.

Hammock
    DIY Standard Multicam
    Insulation
    JRB HSS,JRB GL3
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie Slings
    Thank you for the tips. I already have made stuff sacks with fairly good results. Next is Draw string back pack for my kids Gym Clothes. But I am curious as to choosing type of material for a gathered end single layer hammock. Is a 1.1 oz ripstop enough or do I need 1.6 ,1.9 ,breathable, unbreathable?

Hammock
    Dutch/SLD/WB/DIY
    Tarp
    DWG/HG/SLD/UGQ/DIY
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    I recommend fabric that's as breathable as possible for your hammock body, especially if building a double-layer version. Most fabrics offered by the cottage vendors who frequent this site specify a recommended load capacity for a single layer. You can use the Hammock Calculator and Comfort Rating pages at dream-hammock.com to estimate weight and load capacity for double-layer builds.

IMHO the most overlooked and underrated aspect of most DIY hammock builds is durability. Everyone likes to push the load limits and shave the grams because going ultralight is sexy, but to me, so is trailworthiness. Sometimes less may be more, but sometimes it's actually less...
    Last edited by kitsapcowboy; 08-31-2016 at 00:29.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    I've made a few hammocks, and a tarp. I'm sure I'll get better at it, but my work has been serviceable.

Personally, I wouldn't fart around with 1.1 or 1.0 oz. hammocks. Get your feet wet with 1.6 oz. or stronger hammocks before you experiment with the UL stuff.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    DIY Standard Multicam
    Insulation
    JRB HSS,JRB GL3
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie Slings
    Kitsacowboy- that link seems a great start for me.

SilvrSurfr- I was kinda thinking that but wanted to know before I purchase , so I guess I can eliminate 1.1 oz. Thank you

I have a question. On the French seam/flat felled seam dose it really make a difference if the French part of it folds on the outside ( like most suggest ) or, what would it hurt if you did it on the inside? I have some 1.1 silpoly pu4000 I was going to make a tarp out of. And it just seam to me to be more streamlined on the outside with the French seam part of it folded from the inside.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Images
    I put mine on the inside- no problems.

• + New Posts