Dutch Half Zip
    Tarp
    HG Cuben w/ doors
    Insulation
    HG 40degree quilts
    Suspension
    whoppie slings

Trip Reports carvers cap to Watauga Dam

This is a brief combined trip report of 2 separate trips this summer on the AT. The first is from US 19e to Carvers Gap and the second from US 321 to 19e.

Trip 1.

Took a brief overnight trip going south on the AT from US 19e to Carvers gap. Met a friend on a Sunday afternoon about 3:00 in late April at carvers gap. Carvers was very crowded but we left his car there and made the 20-30 minute drive to US 19e to start our hike. The trail isn't marked from the highway but we found it without much problem. We parked my jeep just off the road on a gravel shoulder and set off. The hike is uphill for a good while and is steep at times. We made it to the ridgeline in about 90 minutes and set up camp right on the NC Tennessee border. Campsites here were great with plenty of places to hang. I wouldn't go much past here late in the day with a hammock as trees are a bit scarce after this point. Water source was close by and we enjoyed a clear night with a beautiful sunset and views of Grandfather mountain.

That night my cinch buckle system decided it was past its useful life and the cinch buckle shredded my seatbelt webbing. It took some work but I got it to hold but was pretty nervous all night after it gave out and dumped me onto the ground.

The next morning we broke camp and headed south. It was a perfect day with clear skies, a nice breeze and and cool temps. I could not believe that in all my hiking and time in the NC mountains that this was my first trip to the roan highlands. What a mistake. It was only a 3 hour drive from my house in Charlotte and the views were unbelievable. I am also a geek about picking out various mountains so this was a great view of so many mountains I've hiked over the years. We continued over the balds and met a few early through hikers. We stopped for lunch at the overmountain shelter and then continued on. We made it back to carvers around 4:45 and then drove back to 19e and then into Banner Elk for a beer and dinner before heading home. My car was was fine but I was warned the hiker vehicles are commonly vandalized in this area.

This is a great section and would make a nice day hike as well. I was a bit out of shape and struggled a bit at the end but the trip was great as always. The hike would be easier as well if you started at Carvers and hiked north.

Trip 2: US 321 to 19E

This trip was a solo 3 night trip that started about 6pm on June 6th. This time I parked my car at Mountain Harbor for $5 per night and I have a friend who lives in the area who picked me up and drove me down to 321 to drop me off. I was on the trail at 6 and hiked uphill until about 8 and set up camp. There were lots of places to set up a hammock in the area and a few other campers dispersed in the same general area as well. I set up my hammock ate dinner and went to bed and slept great.

The next morning I was on the trail by 8am and ready for a great day. I passed by Laurel Fork falls and stopped for a bit to take in the scene and continued on. Passed by the intersection that leads to Kincorra Hostel around noon. Stopped for lunch on a rock with a great view and breeze at 1. I tried out a peanut butter I found that came in a resealable squeeze package on a bagel. The peanut butter was super convenient to use and I'll buy it again for sure (found it at whole foods and it was called yum butter). I continued on through an area that looked like it had been recently burned. Made for some interesting and varied scenery. Stopped for the night at Moreland Gap shelter. Pretty basic shelter but plenty of places around the shelter to hang. There were 3 through hikers there when I arrived at 6, 2 continued on and one stayed. The one that stayed confessed as soon as the others left that she had decided just to go to Damascus and get off the trail. I talked with her for a while and then another SOBO hiker showed up. Stoneage was hiking solo south from his home in PA. Super friendly guy and was from the same small town that my dad was from. We all had dinner together and then went to bed.

The next day I was up early and on the trail before everyone else was up. My knee and ankle were bothering me (my right knee is usually an issue) so I wanted to start early so I could take my time. I hiked all day and made it to Mountaineer Shelter by 3. I didn't need to go further but with that much daylight left I pushed on after signing the register and wishing stoneage luck in my message. Mountaineer shelter is brand new and very nice. I really wanted to stay but was very glad I didn't. I continued on for a few more hours through some beautiful meadows along the elk river and then started back uphill after passing another falls. I was ready to stop but hadn't passed any good hammock spots in some time. I passed a huge group of scouts from Texas heading for mountaineer shelter but wasn't sure they would actually make it based on their pace and the time of day. I reached a flat area and found a nice spot about 20 yards off the trail to set up. I got set up readied my bear bag and enjoyed was enjoying the evening when I heard another hiker coming up the trail, it was Stoneage. I didn't expect to see him again as he said he only intended to go to Mountaineer shelter but he said he got there and it was packed so he pressed on. We enjoyed dinner together and I shared some of my excess food since I was getting off the trail the next day and enjoyed some good conversation into the night. The next morning we got up and hit the trail knowing there was not far to go to 19e. That was my end and he was staying at mountain harbor so there was no hurry. We took in some views, I pointed out some peaks, passed a church and an old cemetery and then arrived at 19e which is a quick walk down the shoulder to the hostel. I showered and changed and then gave Stoneage a quick ride to the dollar general to resupply and then back to the hostel. We parted ways and I drove home to Charlotte happy, tired, and glad to be lucky enough to enjoy this awesome hobby.

Great trip made better by great weather and new friends.

These two trips complete a section for me from Carvers gap to the north end of the Mt. Rogers area.
    "The mountains are calling and I must go."
    John Muir

“I only went out for a walk and finally concluded to stay out till sundown, for going out, I found, was really going in.”
    John Muir

Hammock
    Dutch Half Zip
    Tarp
    HG Cuben w/ doors
    Insulation
    HG 40degree quilts
    Suspension
    whoppie slings
    Side not as someone who is reasonably technically savvy and in their early 30's I cannot ever get this pic uploader to work. Advice is welcome but when I upload from my computer it always says error so as much as I would like to share a few pics I'm done messing with this thing.
    John Muir

“I only went out for a walk and finally concluded to stay out till sundown, for going out, I found, was really going in.”
    John Muir

Hammock
    DIY TCF Sage Green
    Tarp
    Noah's Tarp 12x12
    Insulation
    MAMW TQ, UGQ UQ
    Suspension
    webbing/whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Yosef View Post
    Side not as someone who is reasonably technically savvy and in their early 30's I cannot ever get this pic uploader to work. Advice is welcome but when I upload from my computer it always says error so as much as I would like to share a few pics I'm done messing with this thing.
    I use a free photobucket account to post pics in my posts. There are other free pic hosting services.

1. Set up your account.

2. Upload the pictures you want to share in Photobucket.

3. Whenever you want to post one of those pictures in a thread here on HF, type the following without any spaces.

[ img ][ /img ]

4. In Photobucket, click the little menu on the pic you want to share and select "share".

5. From the popup menu, click the URL that appears by the "Direct" and this will copy that link to your clipboard.

6. Paste the link between the two brackets that you typed in your post.

This "[ img ] http://i242.photobucket.com/albums/f...g/IMAG0012.jpg [ /img ]

Becomes a picture when you remove all the spaces, like so.

There's a little work up front to get it set up but once you have it going there's really nothing to it. You can also download an ap on your phone and upload pics directly from your phone to Photobucket for use.

HTH!

Hammock
    WBXLC, WBBB, LiteOwl
    Tarp
    Superfly, MambaJam
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix, WL Sum
    Suspension
    Webbing, Whoopies
    Images
    Wow enjoyed the trip report especially since I did both of these sections this year.
    I'm impressed your out of shape self did as well as you did going up from 19E to Carvers. That is no easy climb. I've always thought Doll Flats would be a great campsite but it hasn't worked out for me going north.

On the other trip, that section by Elk river is beautiful. On the first night, did you camp up on top after the climb? I recall a spring up there. We went thru just before the fire.

Hammock
    Dutch Half Zip
    Tarp
    HG Cuben w/ doors
    Insulation
    HG 40degree quilts
    Suspension
    whoppie slings
    Quote Originally Posted by TallPaul View Post
    Wow enjoyed the trip report especially since I did both of these sections this year.
    I'm impressed your out of shape self did as well as you did going up from 19E to Carvers. That is no easy climb. I've always thought Doll Flats would be a great campsite but it hasn't worked out for me going north.

On the other trip, that section by Elk river is beautiful. On the first night, did you camp up on top after the climb? I recall a spring up there. We went thru just before the fire.
    Hey Paul, I just went back and watched your videos and read your reports and enjoyed both! That climb up from 19e is no joke but it worked well for me because my legs were fresh and that was really all the walking we did that day, I struggled a lot more the next day. The good thing was that trip motivated me to get back in the gym hard so that the next trip was much much easier on me.

Doll Flats is a great place to camp, great views, sheltered places to camp, and a good water source. If you add a picnic table and a privy it would have been camping luxury.

On the second trip yes I did camp after that initial climb. I believe there was a spring but I didn't stop there to fill up so I can't comment on it's quality or proximity to the trail.

I'm hoping to get back out this fall and go south from Carvers.
    John Muir

John Muir

• + New Posts