Warbonnet Blackbird 1.1 Double Lyr
    Tarp
    Don't have one yet
    Insulation
    HG 20F Incubator
    Suspension
    Straps & Buckles

Top Quilt Yes or No?

Just ordered a Hammock Gear 20F Incubator and now am wondering about a TQ. I read some of HG's FAQs and it said that the first quilt you buy should be an under quilt. So, I'm just wondering how many folks out there own just an UQ and use their sleeping bag to cover the top or if the majority of hangers have both a UQ and a TQ??

I guess if money weren't an issue then I'd jump on a TQ, but somehow I never have enough left at the end of the month LOL...

Who out there has just an UQ and is completely happy???

Hammock
    DIY TCF Sage Green
    Tarp
    Noah's Tarp 12x12
    Insulation
    MAMW TQ, UGQ UQ
    Suspension
    webbing/whoopies
    Images
    If you have a sleeping bag adequate for the temperatures you want to hang in, then at this point a TQ is not necessary. Many folks use sleeping bags in conjunction with UQ's or even pads. You will probably eventually want a good quilt set (top and bottom) but for now take your UQ and sleeping bag and go forth and hang!

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Sparrow
    Tarp
    Dutch Xenon Hex
    Insulation
    Loco Libre/HG/ EE
    Suspension
    Cinch buckles
    Sleeping bag is fine until you're ready to buy a TQ. When you do make that move, you'll never want to go back. But really, you'll be just fine in your bag until then.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    I guess it all depends on what you can afford and how much that sleeping bag weighs. I saved for two years and was able to buy both an HG 20* Phoenix and Burrow. My synthetic sleeping bag weighed nearly 4 lbs., so I was ready to stop using it.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

A sleeping bag is fine to start with. That's what I did when I first got into it since I had a couple sleeping bags anyway. But, once I switched to a proper TQ, I couldn't believe the difference. Everything comes in time and just do your research.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird 1.1 Double Lyr
    Tarp
    Don't have one yet
    Insulation
    HG 20F Incubator
    Suspension
    Straps & Buckles
    Thanks gang for the quick responses. That is what I was hoping to hear... As much as I'd like a TQ, as michigandave says "everything comes in time..."

Quote Originally Posted by Jagermeister View Post
    Thanks gang for the quick responses. That is what I was hoping to hear... As much as I'd like a TQ, as michigandave says "everything comes in time..."
    My gear selection has evolved as I've met other hangers here, while backpacking and at group hangs. Use the forums to your advantage, ask questions and if you happen to see a HF member profile with a specific piece of gear, don't hesitate to send them a PM. We were all newbs once....

Hammock
    yes please
    Tarp
    HG cuben w/ doors
    Insulation
    HG Burrow/Phoenix
    Suspension
    kevlar straps
    Main reason to get a TQ is for weight savings and less bulk when backpacking. If you only car camp and your sleeping bag's warm enough there's not many compelling reasons to upgrade.

I just barely put in an order for an incubator 20. But i have a couple top quilts that I bought first. I left the mummy bag world when they started not being available in as light of weight as quilts and they would not fit my wide shoulders well.

I bought the western mountaineering bags, marmot bags, mont bel.. All of the best bags. Non of them compare to my hammock gear TQ. Same quality and warmth, but lighter and more comfy in every way

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird XLC 2.0
    Tarp
    WB Mambajamba
    Insulation
    Down quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    I'm still using a down sleeping bag on top. I just unzip it all the way and use it like a quilt. I find this works very well. As others have said, the only reason i might eventually switch to a quilt is to save some weight and bulk. So if you've already got a decent bag, just use that for now.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S5 using Tapatalk

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast