Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Big Creek <-> Walnut Bottom (GSMNP) w/Daughter

With all of the dads taking their kids backpacking, I was starting to feel derelict! In reality, it's just taken me some time to gather/make gear. Last weekend I was finally able to take my 9yo on an overnighter in the Smokies to Big Creek, camping at Walnut Bottom. I had to use most of my motivational parenting skills on the 5.4 mile uphill portion, but she was a trooper and we had a blast. I think the high points for her were eating, sleeping, and playing in Big Creek. For me it was several hours of father-daughter conversation while hiking that would not have happened at home.

Everybody smiles at the trailhead, coming or going!

Midnight Hole, a popular swimming spot (and fun rapid to kayak w/water in the creek) about 1.5 miles in. We soaked our feet, but didn't do any cliff diving.

Camp about 50% setup. We made most of our gear, including hammocks, tarps, quilts, and packs. Sorry about the quality of the photo, it was actually getting dark-ish at that point.

My daughter wanted to be the lead on the fire. We had one, but it didn't last a long time

Walnut Bottom was closed most of the summer due to bear activity and there were still warnings in place. We didn't see nary a sign, but of course followed protocol.

Found some chestnuts that had escaped the chipmunks right before we left camp.

Our DIY packs. My daughter's is now "The Grinch", and mine is "The Lorax".

Foot soak and general waterplay before the last two miles.

We rewarded ourselves on the way home with a burger in Asheville and trip by Mast General for some candy by the pound. Already planning the next trip!
    Caminante, son tus huellas el camino y nada más... - Antonio Machado

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    Way to go dad! She's a cutie. I'm not sure I would have gone 5.5 miles on my first hike for myself let alone my young daughter Good job on the gear and those packs look impressive. Did you have patterns or just fly by the seat of your pants on those? Hopefully you didn't over do it and have a hiking partner for life. These precious memories are treasures that can never be replaced. Again good job all around.

Quote Originally Posted by TrailSlug View Post
    Way to go dad! She's a cutie. I'm not sure I would have gone 5.5 miles on my first hike for myself let alone my young daughter Good job on the gear and those packs look impressive. Did you have patterns or just fly by the seat of your pants on those? Hopefully you didn't over do it and have a hiking partner for life. These precious memories are treasures that can never be replaced. Again good job all around.
    Physically it wasn't a challenge for her, and I had done a larger loop in the area back in April so I knew it was a fairly gentle incline up to the campsite. She probably got bored at times from just walking. I think she felt some accomplishment from it, and downhill headed back was a piece of cake. We took breaks every 1-2 miles.

I didn't have any patterns for the packs, but I studied ones I like a lot, especially Zimmerbuilt, and reverse engineered them in my mind. I then sketched them, made "cut sheets" and a bill of material, and finally full-size templates from pattern paper. It was at least half planning and not more than half execution. I've learned a lot from these two packs, and come up with lots of improvements for the "next one" each time.

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Caminante View Post
    Physically it wasn't a challenge for her, and I had done a larger loop in the area back in April so I knew it was a fairly gentle incline up to the campsite. She probably got bored at times from just walking. I think she felt some accomplishment from it, and downhill headed back was a piece of cake. We took breaks every 1-2 miles.

I didn't have any patterns for the packs, but I studied ones I like a lot, especially Zimmerbuilt, and reverse engineered them in my mind. I then sketched them, made "cut sheets" and a bill of material, and finally full-size templates from pattern paper. It was at least half planning and not more than half execution. I've learned a lot from these two packs, and come up with lots of improvements for the "next one" each time.
    Thanks for the info. I envy you guys that have that artistic side of the brain. I only wish I had a micron of ability but I don't so I have to leave it to the guys/companies that do. Keep that young one on the trail and she'll be an outdoor enthusiast for life.

Hammock
    HH Explorer Delux w/2QZQ Mo, WB XLC
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HH SS, HG UQ
    Suspension
    DIY Desending Ring
    Looks like a fun time for all. With all the people at the swimming hole no wonder the Bears were in hiding

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    WBXLC, WBBB, LiteOwl
    Tarp
    Superfly, MambaJam
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix, WL Sum
    Suspension
    Webbing, Whoopies
    Images
    Sounds like a great trip with your daughter. Nice stretch along the river. Good to see her lamb made the trip as well

Hammock
    DIY TCF Sage Green
    Tarp
    Noah's Tarp 12x12
    Insulation
    MAMW TQ, UGQ UQ
    Suspension
    webbing/whoopies
    Images
    I love seeing fathers getting their kids out in the wilds and spending time with them. Thanks for sharing.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Dutchware
    Images
    What a great trip! And good job on all the DIY stuff - it looks very nice!

Quote Originally Posted by Canoefor2 View Post
    Looks like a fun time for all. With all the people at the swimming hole no wonder the Bears were in hiding
    There were half that many again behind me! As we were hiking back down on Sunday, we were passing a steady stream of people heading up by 10:00. Fortunately, our camp was another ~3.7 miles or so. I've kayaked that creek in the winter when there's more water in it and needless to say it's significantly more secluded.

Way to go. I was there that same night!!!!! the two packs hanging in your pic were ours, one of the packs had a visitor Mouse, Chipmunk put a hole in the side of the pack and ate some food.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast