custom pentagon
    Insulation
    down hammock or UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Images
    Have you seen this yet?

https://ripstopbytheroll.com/collections/diy-kits

I think you should do a little of both. Agreed that's a lot of DIY to coordinate to be done well. Maybe DIY half and go with some setups that are slightly more expensive, depending on what you're saving w/DIY?. I do think the Hennessy's are your best value, but they're heavy for the Whites, no? And do you really need bugnets there? Maybe you do there, I just know I never use a bugnet in the southern mountains.

Double layers to accommodate pads is probably worth it, but isn't completely necessary. You'd save a lot just doing single layers, which is what the Hennessy's would be. If you go somewhere else for the hammock setup, BIAS is one I'd check out, as well as SimplyLightDesigns.

I use the SLD diamond tarp myself. Its $60 and the TreeRunner hammock is $28. Of course, this doesn't include tarp tie outs or hammock suspension, but that may be another good DIY project.

Another thought... You can save a little just by going with a $19 Grand Trunk hammock, which isn't a lot of savings over the SLD hammock I mentioned, but over 10+ hammocks it could mean affording some other stuff. I'm sure you can find the GT's somewhere online.
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

Hammock
    Dutch/SLD/WB/DIY
    Tarp
    DWG/HG/SLD/UGQ/DIY
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    Another thought... You can save a little just by going with a $19 Grand Trunk hammock, which isn't a lot of savings over the SLD hammock I mentioned, but over 10+ hammocks it could mean affording some other stuff. I'm sure you can find the GT's somewhere online.
    Dakotaross gives excellent advice, and I too am a strong advocate of Simply Light Designs hammocks and gear. I hang in a double-layer Trail Lair under a Simplicity Asym tarp. My only comment is that I think the SLD represents a superior value over the Grand Trunk for just a few dollars more; the scouts will have a better hammock if they keep it and yield more resale value if they sell it.

Plus one on all the advice above!

I would just add, that when I was in scouts, we were responsible for our own sleeping bags and pads. I'll admit that I'm out of touch with current scouting procedure, but I wouldn't think it's unreasonable for most of the scouts to supply the bag, or at least a cheap pad, and supply bags and/or pads for the scouts that can't afford it.

I would also add that making the tarp is probably the most difficult, and I use a Yukon Outfitters tarp as a loaner to friends and it works very well for around $30.

Not sure if someone mentioned it, but don't underestimate tableclothsfactory.com If memory serves me correctly, I think forum members used to use the crinkle taffeta for around $10 or less and bind the ends using the Justjeff technique at tothewoods.net

Best of luck!

Hammock
    Hennesy
    Tarp
    various
    Insulation
    pads, foam
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by potsticker View Post
    Our troop has decided to use leftover funds to purchase hammocks for the troop to use (mostly for backpacking in the White Mtns). If you had to buy ~20 of the same hammock/system for Boy Scouts to use over the next 5 years, what would you pick? I think max total expenditure would be around $100 each and we have plenty of time to wait for a sale/shop around.

Yes we can also DIY though I'm not sure we have the skills and time to do it well, and it doesn't seem that much more expensive to buy (at least the hammock body). Right now I'm leaning toward buying the hammocks (with bug netting and tarp?) and making our own underquilts (Costco throw).

Thoughts appreciated!
    Looking at previous replies my first question is are you talking about 20 scouts getting a hammock or getting 20 hammocks to stay with the troop as group gear?

DIY works as make it, keep it. It does not work as make it and turn it in.

I'm not sure you need double layer with a pad. I used single layer for years that way. It lets one move the pad with a minimum of fuss. Give that I would ask Dutch if he could give you a deal on a heavier single layer half wit and the new Asym tarp he was asking about here. Do that with a strap and buckle suspension with sewn in Dutch Clips and it is a simple to use and hard to lose parts setup.
    YMMV

HYOH

Free advice worth what you paid for it. ;-)

Hammock
    WBB XLC
    Tarp
    SilTarp 2
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by nothermark View Post
    Looking at previous replies my first question is are you talking about 20 scouts getting a hammock or getting 20 hammocks to stay with the troop as group gear?

DIY works as make it, keep it. It does not work as make it and turn it in.
    Good question, and I agree it depends on whether we buy or make. If we make then it is definitely theirs to keep. Right now I'm leaning toward single layer and letting the boys figure out how to handle insulation on their own. Thanks for weighing in!

Hammock
    Circle Beard, Roo, ENO DN
    Tarp
    Yukon
    Insulation
    Jarbidge
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    You mentioned you have time so one could also keep tabs on Woot and buy the Yukon or Rusted Root hammock, straps, net and tarp. All entry level gear but would work in your budget and then DIY your Costco UQ. Just an option if you don't go with SLD hammock which would also be my first choice for quality and price. But if you want to keep everything consistent, Woot just had all of these items listed within the last couple of weeks and will likely have them all again soon.

Hammock
    DIY 11'
    Tarp
    MWG Monster
    Insulation
    AHE UQ/DIY TQ
    Suspension
    various types
    Well some great advice here. I have a troop in a similar position. Most of our scouts are used to providing their own gear and have begun to purchase an assortment of various hammocks, tarps, etc. I love the idea of a DIY series for your troop though. My biggest suggestion ties into nothermark's question. I think it's best for the scouts to have some skin in the game with their equipment. The should be fundraising to purchase the expensive pieces. The troop can then bulk order tablecloths, tarps, tyvek, etc. for them, and add in the excess the committee has set aside to help them out.

Like others I typically advise my scouts, and my own son too, to start with a GT Ultra Light, Half Bug net and Wal-Mart or Harbor Freight Tarp. I like to teach knots, so we review bowline, tautline and Prussik knots. I have my own gear with some customization so I'll show that them while setting up to start get them thinking of what and how they want to upgrade later on. I nice thing about the GT is that it's cheap. If it gets damaged the scout/troop isn't out much. Plus after they upgrade it becomes a wonderful gear hammock.

I do have to second the idea of keeping an eye on woot. The Yukon hammocks are not bad, I own and have used one of their bug net hammocks, two tarps, and one of their bug nets. You can outfit a scout for less than $75 if the scout has a sleeping bag and ground mat. We also keep a roll of Tyvek in our troop trailer that I can cut off for small ground covers for their shoes and gear.

Best of luck, I hope to see pics of your troop in their hammocks in the future.

DIY Scout project? Hennesey Scout hammock otherwise.

Hammock
    DoubleNest
    Tarp
    ProFly
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Suspension
    Straps / Whoopies
    I am slightly biased, being an eagle scout and a manufacturing engineer who hikes and hangs in the whites. But I think DIY hammocks would be great. The season of "August" is winding down so there will be plenty of time to build them. The boys will learn a lot from the DIY, worst case being that they learn a strong dislike for DIY. If you source a bolt of a single color fabric and add on the troop numbers / patrol patch, you could have a great project for new campers and keep the cost low.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    Superfly/pole mod
    Insulation
    Burrow 0 / Yeti 0
    Suspension
    WoopieSling
    Hey Scoutmaster, have you thought about having the boys make their own? It wouldn't be much, do a gathered end, let them work on knots, sewing. Pretty easy, I'm sure you could find a vendor to help you out on bulk materials. It's a pretty easy thing with enough info found here. Just my 2 cents.
    I have slept in a hammock on every continent from -20 to +128, under direct and indirect fire, from frost to fungus except Antarticia.... But give me time... Thank you Uncle Sugar!

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast