Dutchware Gear Chameleon
    Tarp
    Thunderfly
    Insulation
    TQ & UQ
    Suspension
    Beatle Buckles

Ridgeline Sag

I set up my Dream Hammock Thunderbird yesterday, and the only issue I'm running into is the ridgeline is sagging way to much once I lay in the hammock. I had the tree straps set about 6' high and the distance between the trees was somewhere between 12-14'.

Anyone have any advice/thoughts on how I can keep the ridgeline taut? Thanks.

Hammock
    WildernessLogics 12x6
    Tarp
    HG cuben 13ridge12
    Insulation
    TopQuiltUnderQuilt
    Suspension
    S and D
    Try tightening your suspension

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Dutch/SLD/WB/DIY
    Tarp
    DWG/HG/SLD/UGQ/DIY
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    With respect, yes, and it has nothing to do with the fine craftsmanship that the Smurfs put into every Dream Hammock, but rather with simple geometry...

In a nutshell, try getting more precise about your exact hang angles and suspension dimensions, and you should be able to cure your sagging ridge line while spanning any distance to the limits of your suspension setup.

Your ridge line comes from DH sized according to the length of your hammock body underneath it so that it will be anywhere from "just taut" to "moderately taut but not stressed" when a typical human sized load is distributed in a more-or-less expected fashion on a diagonal lay in the hammock with the suspension "hangle" at 30 degrees. It's there as a structural element to help relieve the stress on the hammock body whenever the aforementioned variables change so as to increase th tension on the hammock body, such as when the "hangle" is (significantly) less than 30 degrees or (less frequently) when the load in the hammock is distributed more toward the ends than is usual. When the converse of either of these conditions is true -- greater than 30 degree "hangle" (the result of having too much suspension length between the hammock end and the anchor point) or weight concentrated at the center of the hammock -- the ridge line will start to say to some degree.

Try consulting the handy Hammock Hang Calculator offered by Derek Hansen at thetimatehang.com; measure your hammock body and your SRL precisely and plug them into his form at common span distances. The calculator will figure how long your whoopie sling (or other suspension equipment) should be set to for your preferred sit height at a given span distance, and that should correct your ridge line tension -- or at least put you close enough that you can then fiddle your way to perfection. Be even has a handy downloadable app that you can use on your smart phone.

HTH. Good luck...

Hammock
    DREAM HAMMOCK
    Tarp
    U G Q .
    Insulation
    U G Q .
    Suspension
    RSBTR STRAPS
    Images
    You can go to the Dream Hammocks threads and look up video's that Papa Smurf made showing how to adjust your set up and help getting everything dialed in proper, he has made a few that will help, here is just one,,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TFeKvHNRukg

• + New Posts