WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    HG Cuban
    Insulation
    HG,UGQ,EE, LL
    Suspension
    Whoopie, D-Bling

Hammock Gear vs Loco Libre Baffle Thickness

Getting my sons hammock rig together I purchased a Loco Libre Habanero.. Ok I actually got the new LL UQ for me and was passing down my original Hammock Gear 20* Incubator..

Here is a quick review if the loft... Both 20* with over stuff. Anybody else have a LL UQ comparison to HG? Is baffle thickness the most important for keeping me warm?

image.jpg
    Last edited by Snydman; 08-29-2016 at 08:28.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird XLC 2.0
    Tarp
    WB Mambajamba
    Insulation
    Down quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Interesting, thanks for sharing. I've been trying to decide between the two and this is helpful. Was leaning towards the LL but now having second thoughts, although from what I've heard, loft thickness isn't the ultimate indicator of warmth. I would love to hear your thoughts after you've been able to spend some more time in the LL.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Hammock
    DIY Bridge /Draumr
    Tarp
    DIY Silpoly
    Insulation
    DIY UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    PolyStraps/Huggers
    Thanks, interesting comparison. If you lay the quilts side by side on the floor. Fully lofted... Do you see a difference in the loft height? Weight.... What is the weight difference. How about down... Similar?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    “The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men should do nothing.”

- Edmund Burke

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    This unscientific comparison is lacking some information but mostly what is the fill on each quilt. Each vendor offers various qualities of down. LocoLibre offers 800, 850, and 950 fills. Hammock gear appears to be 850. Were the fills the same? The fills can also vary from quilt to quilt. I own both and the poke test isn't much different between the two quilts.

Hammock
    11' Chameleon
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie slings
    Images
    Woot woot - really? How about a field test instead? I have never had a complaint of anyone sleeping cold in one of our quilts. You are comparing apples to oranges in design, as a diagonal baffle creates a different shape which allows the quilt to "hug" you in a different way. When we build a straight baffle quilt, the sides look almost exactly like a HG quilt:
    20160209_110826.jpg
    When building a diagonal baffle quilt we can only make the differential from side to side and not longitudinally due to the shape of the quilt. This means the edges taper instead of squaring off. Contrary to what seems logical,this does not affect the warmth of the quilt due to the way that I mentioned the quilt seems to hug you and stay in place better.

Stay tuned for our new design coming out this week which does feature a full multidirectional differential cut, which in conjunction with our proven chevron baffles provides excellent warmth and coverage.(Sorry, I was tempted to put up a pic, but you'll just have to wait).

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    Come on George that's just plain cruel.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    HG Cuban
    Insulation
    HG,UGQ,EE, LL
    Suspension
    Whoopie, D-Bling
    Quote Originally Posted by RichardDavies View Post
    Interesting, thanks for sharing. I've been trying to decide between the two and this is helpful. Was leaning towards the LL but now having second thoughts, although from what I've heard, loft thickness isn't the ultimate indicator of warmth. I would love to hear your thoughts after you've been able to spend some more time in the LL.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
    Only spent the one night in the LL, the fit was great I like the LL suspension a little better than HG. Both very similar with primary/secondary connections, Looks like LL uses a slightly thicker shock cord primary suspension that may also be a little tighter than HG keeping the UQ up nice and tight from the moment you put it on. Just a subtle difference.

The temp only got down to the 60 so I was never cold. My only concern was the difference in the baffle thickness.

My thinking was if both of the UQs are up snug against your body, both had 850 fill, both 44in wide is it the baffle thickness that is created by the loft of the down the best protector for warmth?
    Last edited by Snydman; 08-28-2016 at 15:09.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    HG Cuban
    Insulation
    HG,UGQ,EE, LL
    Suspension
    Whoopie, D-Bling
    Quote Originally Posted by FJRpilot View Post
    Thanks, interesting comparison. If you lay the quilts side by side on the floor. Fully lofted... Do you see a difference in the loft height? Weight.... What is the weight difference. How about down... Similar?

The HG Incubator I purchased Nov 2015, 83in long, 44 in wide, 850 fill goose, web specs have it at 13OZ fill weight and I got 4 oz of overstuffing. total of 17 oz 44"x83"

The LL Habanero just received it last weekend, 78" long, 850 fill goose, 44" wide, web specs (at 80") 15OZ will weight and I got 2 oz of overstuffing total of 17oz. Perhaps minus a couple of oz since my was 78" long.

So from my perspective relatively equal on fill. I only noticed a difference when layed side by side at the ends of the quilt. LL had a taper and HG still maintained a round baffle.
    Last edited by Snydman; 08-28-2016 at 15:10.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    HG Cuban
    Insulation
    HG,UGQ,EE, LL
    Suspension
    Whoopie, D-Bling
    Quote Originally Posted by georgecarr View Post
    Woot woot - really? How about a field test instead? I have never had a complaint of anyone sleeping cold in one of our quilts. You are comparing apples to oranges in design, as a diagonal baffle creates a different shape which allows the quilt to "hug" you in a different way. When we build a straight baffle quilt, the sides look almost exactly like a HG quilt:
    20160209_110826.jpg
    When building a diagonal baffle quilt we can only make the differential from side to side and not longitudinally due to the shape of the quilt. This means the edges taper instead of squaring off. Contrary to what seems logical,this does not affect the warmth of the quilt due to the way that I mentioned the quilt seems to hug you and stay in place better.

Stay tuned for our new design coming out this week which does feature a full multidirectional differential cut, which in conjunction with our proven chevron baffles provides excellent warmth and coverage.(Sorry, I was tempted to put up a pic, but you'll just have to wait).
    George thank you for the explanation. Your quilt is a piece of art, thighter suspension out the box with what appears to be slightly thicker/shorter shock cord for the primary suspension minimizing adjustments and a thicker draft collar baffle.

Im new looking for information on the best warmth protection for the money.

Are you saying that the diagonal baffle that tapers although thinner amount of protection provides equal warmth as a thicker baffle that is straight? Your right its "Contrary to what seems logical" seems like a cold wind does not know the difference between diagonal and straight but will penetrate the path of least resistance.

Hammock
    11' Chameleon
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie slings
    Images
    Warmth comes from loft. The issue that most people miss is that when set up properly the edges aren't insulating you. That's why it seems contrary - people get stuck on the idea that their warmth is dependent on the whole width of the quilt, but you don't use the whole width. My quilt tapers to the edge, but you aren't sleeping with the edge of the quilt against you. I have had a few others question me about the way the edges are tapered, but after using the quilt the questions go away.

Either way you go you'll be warm because like HG we don't make no cold quilts, woot woot.

How's this for a rounded edge (just for you Trailslug):
    DSC04836.jpg

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast