Where are weak "links" in cheap hammocks?

My first real post! Usually, I can find answers to my questions through searches (once I get the wording correct), but I'd like opinions on our specific set-up. I appreciate everyone here, those asking questions, and those offering suggestions. This forum has been of great help getting us elevated!

My husband and I are just starting with full-time indoor hanging. We are testing the concept with some low price hammocks. We are really liking what we've experienced so far!

Here is what we have;
    Legit Double Hammocks
    They say the material is "military-grade 210T nylon fabric."

and

Twisted Root Design
    They say the material is "100% Ripstop Nylon."

I know our hammocks aren't the "best" but I'm not sure what would make them better.

Are either one of these better than the other, and why (so I can look for it in the future)?

Considering these are going to live indoors, what should I watch for to break/tear first?

Can I do anything to reinforce any weak areas? Maybe Amsteel for soft shackles, the gathered-ends, and/or suspension? (I want to do that anyway just because I want to play with some Amsteel!)

Any better ideas? I think our next hammocks will be DIY tablecloth.

Thanks!

Hammock
    DIY Bridge /Draumr
    Tarp
    DIY Silpoly
    Insulation
    DIY UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    PolyStraps/Huggers

Where are weak "links" in cheap hammocks?

I think the biggest weakness with some of these types of hammocks is the length. Your going to find that a longer/wider hammock body allows you to find a position that allows for a more comfortable "lay". Sleeping in a "Banana" position can turn you off to hammocks pretty quick.

The rest of the stuff (suspension, ridge line, stuff sacks, material, etc.) are all about making either easier to setup when camping, or saving weight.

If your happy with what you have, I wouldn't worry about changing anything. You should experiment with hammock length and material because both will affect comfort.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    “The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men should do nothing.”

- Edmund Burke

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    What I see as the weakest link in inexpensive hammocks is comfort. Many of them simply are not comfortable enough to get through the night in.

Hammock
    11' 1.6 Hexon
    Tarp
    D.I.Y. 12' winter
    Insulation
    cool weather
    Suspension
    Poly. S.S. Beckett
    Images
    I didn't see any length on the legit hammock but with a 400lbs rating I imagine it's pretty big. They both look like they have seams along the edge that I've read can cut into you when laying on them.

In reality, long,wide,and seamless are the most important for comfort. Material is kind of climate dependent. In house only a cotton would be quite nice I recon.

Hammock
    AMOK Draumr 3.0
    Just a chime in on the length thing.
    As far as I am concerned THAT is the weakest link... most of the big-box cheapos vastly exaggerate the length...ie. 10' = 9'4" fabric length.
    This is where you get your comfort
    >> Onward thru the fog...>>
    Find me on my blog Moosenut Falls https://moosenutfalls.wordpress.com/

Hammock
    Dutch/SLD/WB/DIY
    Tarp
    DWG/HG/SLD/UGQ/DIY
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    I think one of the worst parts of mass-produced inexpensive hammocks from sources like Wal-Mart and Amazon has got to be the crappy rope suspension and end loops. Even if they are short and/or heavy, the hammock bodies are usually salvageable if you throw away the stock suspension components and spend ten bucks on 50 feet of masterly to make yourself a pair of whoppie slings, some continuous loops, and a structural ridge line, which is fun and easy to do. That lets you ditch the heavy tree-damaging polypropylene ropes, dubious spring-gate caribiners, and questionably knotted end loops that are subject to failure with extended use on cheap storebought hammocks.

I will also say that IMHO anyone who has a few hours, the tools, and the basic skills to sew a long straight row of stitches on a machine will yield greater value purchasing a 4-yard remnant of ripstop and a spool of Mara 70 from RBTR or Dutch than spending the equivalent amount of money on a cheap mass-produced hammock, which is really only being purchased for the body...
    Last edited by kitsapcowboy; 08-28-2016 at 11:14.

I found both the small size and multiple seams of my first cheapo hammock made it unsleepable.

I have a hunch those tablecloth hammock will open up a new world of comfort for y'all.

Well, y'all nailed it.

The Legits say they are 10'x6.6'. Mine are 114" (9.5') x 79.2" (6.6').
    The Twisted Roots say they are 10.5'x6.5'. Mine are 120" (10') x 79" (6.5').

I was thinking of the 156"x90" taffeta from TCF so we could see what longer and wider is like, and without seams. Maybe taffeta is warmer? I'll search on that.

I lay 45* to 90*. Makes an UQ tricky! I have issues, every vertebra is wrong (all but C1), and currently my tibia has taken up knitting this summer. I'm on the mend but it's nice to be able to prop it up by the end of the day.

Our house is 100+ years old, sandstone, on a prairie. Currently, our lows are in the low 60s to upper 50s. We'll probably see the mid-40s for a while.

I've been searching for ideas on UQ that would work with my weird lay. Well, now I'm thinking maybe my weirdness is due to the length of the hammock?

We made some hammocks from some material I have. It was too narrow and I guess I got my head stuck getting the width, rather than the diagonal-ness of width X length. That might also answer my UQ problem. I was thinking I'd have to get a Tentsile!

I'm rethinking things now, but the TCF has just made a new priority.

Hammock
    Hennesy
    Tarp
    various
    Insulation
    pads, foam
    Images
    FWIW you are on a good track.

For indoor use you don't need to care about weight so heavier may be better as it will last longer. You do not need a light weight suspension because you are not carrying it.

You do not need a ridgeline because you are always hung the same way. You DO want to experiment with the hung length because you will lay differently in different suspended lengths. Keep notes.
    YMMV

HYOH

Free advice worth what you paid for it. ;-)

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    OzTrail???
    Insulation
    Tentsile sky pad
    Suspension
    DIY single line
    I would say the suspension and material for the body.

Camping hammocks are a compromise on comfort/style/weight but for a permanent indoor hammock any non stretch rope will work fine and you can't beat heavy cotton for comfort.
    Synthetics are easier to clean and dry real quick.

Try what you've got and if your happy with it don't mess with it.

If there are problems look towards myan style cotton hammocks

• + New Posts