Vermont mid September

Hi guys. Headed out Sep 15th from Hanover NH SOBO on the AT to Mass state line. Historical weather charts say lows in the 40's. I'm pretty new to hanging and I haven't done any extended hammock sections. I have a 20* incubator and a 50* flight jacket TQ. Im pretty sure that should suffice, however I was wondering if I should bring my puffy along for insurance? I took my puffy along with me when I sectioned (tent and shelter) the Shenandoah last April but I used it only once due to excess precipitation and no real dips in temp, plus I have a 25* mummy bag. I never got cold, maybe even a little warm some nights. I hear the northeast esp Vermont is typically wet. I was thinking a 100 wt fleece to layer with my rain jacket if it gets chilly. I also have thermal bottoms for camp and as an emergency layer. I want to go as reasonably light without freezing my a** off. I don't have enough experience hanging to gauge temps other then an overnight in the Shenandoah last week (low was in the 60's but a wicked windy night proved to be chilly without a UQ)

Anyone with experience up there or hanging temps with my gear?

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    It really depends on if you are a cold sleeper or warm. I hate getting cold so my rule of thumb is the +10 degree rule. I use my 50° quilts if it's going to get 60 or warmer. 20° quilts if it's going to be 30° and up. If it were me I wouldn't dare test 40° weather with a 50° quilt as it's only going to get cooler when you are travelling.

Hammock
    Chameleon/Ridgerunner/Raven
    Tarp
    OMW/HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Ghost P/Ridge Reap
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    No experience, but bringing too much is always better than bringing too little.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    HG CF 11'
    Insulation
    HG TQ, Wookie UQ
    Suspension
    Buckles and Straps
    Quote Originally Posted by Medic665 View Post
    Hi guys. Headed out Sep 15th from Hanover NH SOBO on the AT to Mass state line. Historical weather charts say lows in the 40's. I'm pretty new to hanging and I haven't done any extended hammock sections. I have a 20* incubator and a 50* flight jacket TQ. Im pretty sure that should suffice, however I was wondering if I should bring my puffy along for insurance? I took my puffy along with me when I sectioned (tent and shelter) the Shenandoah last April but I used it only once due to excess precipitation and no real dips in temp, plus I have a 25* mummy bag. I never got cold, maybe even a little warm some nights. I hear the northeast esp Vermont is typically wet. I was thinking a 100 wt fleece to layer with my rain jacket if it gets chilly. I also have thermal bottoms for camp and as an emergency layer. I want to go as reasonably light without freezing my a** off. I don't have enough experience hanging to gauge temps other then an overnight in the Shenandoah last week (low was in the 60's but a wicked windy night proved to be chilly without a UQ)

Anyone with experience up there or hanging temps with my gear?
    My wife is doing the LT SOBO and starts on Sept 19th. She's taking her 20° TQ and a puffy -- but she's planning in staying in shelters 100% of the time. She's bringing a super-light HalfWit hammock and a pad in case shelters are full (or something else prevents her from getting to a shelter). I talked her into taking a puffy (also got her a 6oz Mountain Hardwear down puffy) to convince her it was worth it.

Her motto is if she's cold while hiking, then she's not hiking fast enough. If she's in a shelter at night she'll be just fine. I worry about her in a hammock. As you know, a wind can make 40° seem a lot colder!

• + New Posts