Hammock
    Mayan / Freebird
    Tarp
    SLD Custom
    Insulation
    UGQ 30*F / 0*F
    Suspension
    Whoopie / fleaz
    The bottom's not a problem, it's the top you might want to switch out for warmer temperatures. I've used mine up to 70˚F (with just a sheet barely on me and totally vented in every way possible), and have been fine. The bulk and weight of a 0˚F UQ is significant, although its bulk equal to my synthetic sleeping bag that only keeps me comfortably warm down to 50˚F (rated 20˚F), and is much lighter.

When I decided to get a 0˚F set (still needing the top half), I paid attention to how many times I wanted to go out, but held back, when temps got below 25˚F, not because of the cold, but because of my gear. It was surprisingly a lot, and this year will be a very different story. But, if I didn't get that urge in those times, I would have simply gotten a 20˚F set. Instead, by the time I'm done, I'll have a 30˚F set too, for the warmer/shoulder season. I could have gone for a 10˚F, but I got that extra 10˚ for the very likely unexpected dips that can happen in those temperatures.

I know you live in a place that's warm all the time (compared to Canada), but where do you head out to? What is the weather like there. Look at the yearly averages and lows at the times you get the urge to go out - know what your reality is.

It seems like you're struggling with having a 3/4 UQ. Is that more the issue, than the temperature, given it's a 20˚F quilt?

Hammock
    DIY Hexon 1.0, Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    HG UQ's, EE TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Venting is the solution, it seems. But it's not exact science for me. I'd roast in that TQ at 40*. The UQ should be ok though.

Hammock
    WL Lt Owl
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Outdoors
    Insulation
    Burrow/Incubator
    Suspension
    Tree straps
    I strongly disagree that switching the top quilt is the most effective solution. Rather, one medium weight top quilt can be paired with just two underquilts to serve all your needs.

If I lived in Florida, camped in the coolest weather the Southeast had to offer and were starting from scratch; I'd buy one 20* top quilt, one 20* full length underquilt and one 40* full length underquilt.

I suspect while camping in Florida you'd get the most use out of your 40* underquilt and infrequently use your 20* underquilt. As the underqulit creates a bit of a microclimate of its own, your one topquilt would be suitable for use regardless of the weather.

Rather than buying a 0* underquilt, on the 1 or 2 nights per year your 20* quilts was not warm enough, simply pair your 40* and 20* quilts to increase the warmth. I'd put the 40* on first then the 20* below.

Just 3 quilts. Think your wife would tolerate that?
    Last edited by OCDave; 08-28-2016 at 15:55.
    Questioning authority, Rocking the boat & Stirring the pot - Since 1965

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12