Hennessy Expedition-Equip Mosquito-
    Tarp
    Hennessy and Yukon
    Insulation
    Snugpak Underblank
    Suspension
    Daisey chain

Two hammocks - One set of trees.

Well, My wife and I like to try and place our hammocks together whenever we are able to. But sometimes there are no trees that will allow us to hang close together. So, I have been looking for a method that would work. Now I like thing simple, inexpensive and that work well. So, I designed a set up that is so simple and can easily be left right on the hammocks and will work as a spreader as well as a place to hang items when not used as a spreader.

I took 2 pieces of 1" grosgrain cut lengths between 3 and 4 inches long. one for each hammock. Double them over and, using a grommet set purchased from Harbor Freight , I punched matching holes in both sides of the grosgrain. Then I insert the grommet and secure with a hammer. Now take this and slide it over the rope or whatever is used at the gathered end of the hammock suspension. If you are unable to slide this over it just put it on the line then secure the grommet in place. I then found a bar for the separator and insert pins at the end. I had some old left over supports from and old dinner tarp setup that was lying around so I used the adjustable portions and made it an adjustable bar. A dowel or stick with a screw or nail will do. Even a whittled down branch will work. The nice thing is the grosgrain and grommet can be used as a hanger when not used with a second hammock. Now we usually car camp or hike in a mile or two so weight is not an issue.

hammock spreader 1.jpghammock spreader 2.jpghammock spreader 4.jpghammock spreader 5.jpghammock spreader.jpg
    Last edited by bobamos; 08-27-2016 at 14:46.

How is the swinging when some one needs to get up? I like the idea by the way. And have been looking to get hammocks set up when you have 2 or 3 and 1 or no trees. So this is a step in the right direction.

From Weylan

Images
    Good work.
    I am lucky, in that the big hole on the steel loop aliens I use for my hammock suspension fits the tip of my walking pole quite nicely.

Hammock
    DIY TCF Sage Green
    Tarp
    Noah's Tarp 12x12
    Insulation
    MAMW TQ, UGQ UQ
    Suspension
    webbing/whoopies
    Images
    Very ingenious. I'm not that smart, went with the Dutch Double Whoopie Hooks and spreader bar.

We love being able to hang together under the same tarp. It was important to both of us. I'm glad you were able to make it happen for you and your wife!

Hammock
    DH Raven/SLD Trail lair
    Tarp
    UGQ WD/SLD Asym
    Insulation
    HG UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    DutchBuckle &Sling
    thats very cool, i had not thought of that will try it next time wife and i are out
    When the wife asks, I simply say "Shug made me do it".

Hammock
    11ftr
    Tarp
    silpoly pu4000
    Insulation
    poultry puff
    I have a similar offering from Dutch -- a super light carbon fiber spreader bar, 27" long I think. Tried something of my own creation nearer to 48" once, but the swinging and tipping was worse than trying to handstand in a canoe. Shorter is definitely the way to go here.

Currently just using some braided mason line Prusik'd onto the whoopies to hold it, but I really like those grommets-in-webbing. Might have to do that myself. You haven't noticed any slippage up the suspension?
    "We are the greatest bulldozers to walk erect. Will we ever permit Mother Nature–truly our mother–to do her thing, undisturbed and unmarred? Will we ever be content to play a passively observant role in the universe, and leave off this unceasing activity? I do not wish man in control of the universe. I wish nature in control, and man playing only his just role as one of its inhabitants."
    — Randy Morgensen, 1971

Images
    Neat Idea! The rivets you used are actually called grommets in case someone goes looking for them and can't find them.

Hammock
    WBRR or Clark North American
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Ridge Reaper
    Suspension
    Cinch/Helios/Atlas
    Clever. I would have over complicated things and put spreaders at both ends. Funny, it just wouldn't have occurred to me to do just one...

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    MW Monster
    Insulation
    DIY TQ/ HG UQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoppies
    Help that works nicely. Well done. I may have to cook something up like this. .
    I would rather be in the woods... my dog would rather be in the pool. My wife thinks we are both nuts.

Hammock
    Hennessy Expedition-Equip Mosquito-
    Tarp
    Hennessy and Yukon
    Insulation
    Snugpak Underblank
    Suspension
    Daisey chain
    Quote Originally Posted by slugbait View Post
    Neat Idea! The rivets you used are actually called grommets in case someone goes looking for them and can't find them.
    Yes, I know that... For some dumb reason I wrote rivets instead of grommets. Brain fart I guess... Gonna change that. Thanks for pointing it out.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast