UGQ WD12
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 20
    Suspension
    Ultimate Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Corinna View Post
    Hey there!
    So, I have a 20 degree full under quilt, but no top quilt. We are going to the Smokies next week and it looks to be about 58-60 degrees at night. Am I going to freeze with out any top layer. It will be our first time using the under quilt. We have only camped out in the hot sticky weather where anything other than clothes, (Ok, who am I kidding. I would have slept without those, too) would have been like the surface of the sun. I am just trying to decide if I need to bring heavy clothes for sleeping.
    When are you going & where? I'll be there next week also...Thu to Sat!
    Retired US Navy, 10-year Stage IIIb colon cancer survivor. I believe my last words will be "Hold my beer..."

Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    HG CF 11'
    Insulation
    HG TQ, Wookie UQ
    Suspension
    Buckles and Straps
    Hey there!
    So, I have a 20 degree full under quilt, but no top quilt. We are going to the Smokies next week and it looks to be about 58-60 degrees at night. Am I going to freeze with out any top layer. It will be our first time using the under quilt. We have only camped out in the hot sticky weather where anything other than clothes, (Ok, who am I kidding. I would have slept without those, too) would have been like the surface of the sun. I am just trying to decide if I need to bring heavy clothes for sleeping.
    Where is the 58 to 60? Whatever the elevation of that report is for, subtract about 3° per 1,000 ft of elevation (since you'll be higher than the report), and you'll get a better estimation of what the lows will be.

Absolutely something is needed to keep the chill off your top layer. A nice light fleece blanket would likely do the trick -- always better to have it than not!

Hammock
    Towns End BGBH
    Tarp
    UGQ WD12
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 20
    Suspension
    Ultimate Straps
    Images
    Wednesday, Thursday, Friday next week - highs around 73, overnight lows about 62, 30% chance of rain. That's at Lat. 35.563, Long. -83.498 (or in other words, Clingmans Dome). But wait a few days...it'll change.
    Retired US Navy, 10-year Stage IIIb colon cancer survivor. I believe my last words will be "Hold my beer..."

Hammock
    ENO reactor
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    I hate to steal a post but I'm worried about the same thing. Well the freezing part. I haven't done any cold weather camping but we are planing a trip in November and all I have is a thermarest scout (small) pad and my cheapo 40* bag for a top quilt. It is in Texas so it's nothing like the Smokie mountains. I couldn't see anything below freezing. Can't really swing a real TQ or UQ right now.

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Texas_toothpick View Post
    I hate to steal a post but I'm worried about the same thing. Well the freezing part. I haven't done any cold weather camping but we are planing a trip in November and all I have is a thermarest scout (small) pad and my cheapo 40* bag for a top quilt. It is in Texas so it's nothing like the Smokie mountains. I couldn't see anything below freezing. Can't really swing a real TQ or UQ right now.
    Get one of the inexpensive Costco quilts and make yourself a set that will get you closer in combination with what you already have.

Hammock
    ENO reactor
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Nearest Costco is about an hour and a half. By time my truck gets done with my wallet I might as well get a nice synthetic UQ. Don't get me wrong I do eventually want one, just don't know how I'd be able to before then. Also the down makes me nervous about getting wet. (Murphy's law and all)

Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    HG CF 11'
    Insulation
    HG TQ, Wookie UQ
    Suspension
    Buckles and Straps
    Quote Originally Posted by Texas_toothpick View Post
    Nearest Costco is about an hour and a half. By time my truck gets done with my wallet I might as well get a nice synthetic UQ. Don't get me wrong I do eventually want one, just don't know how I'd be able to before then. Also the down makes me nervous about getting wet. (Murphy's law and all)
    You can always use regular blankets and put them underneath your pad. Sure, it'll still get compressed but it'll be better than not using them at all. You just have to carry more weight if you go that route.

I've camped down to 15° before with a pad and no underquilt -- now I wouldn't say I was warm, but I certainly survived.

Hammock
    ENO reactor
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    I was thinking of getting the reflective bubble stuff and pairing it with my pad. My cheapo bag made me sweat in the mid 60'September and no pad. I also thought about some wool socks. (Darn tough) But $25 for a pair of socks is kinda crazy, and yes I know I don't have to get those specifically but they will also be for hiking as well.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Am I going to freeze with out any top layer?
    The OP apparently hasn't been back to HF since posting this thread a month ago!
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    ENO reactor
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    The OP apparently hasn't been back to HF since posting this thread a month ago!
    is there any chance of me returning?!!!

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast