D.I.Y. 12' winter
    Insulation
    cool weather
    Suspension
    Poly. S.S. Beckett
    Images

Couple of suspension questions.

First I'd like to make a statement.

I have 2mm zing-it, the 600lb test stuff. I used a dutch hook attached with a perfection loop and a Dutch fly on the other end. I strung this line across about 25'. I hung a 3/8 x 10' log chain on this to stretch the fiber tight. The hook end went through an eye bolt and the other through a tube frame.

Nothing broke and the perfection loop didn't even slide at all. I hung my tarp to air out on this.

Why couldn't I use this zing-it for hanging my hammock?

[AIMG]IMG_0751.jpgIMG_0752.jpg[/AIMG]

I use 1500 lb test ratchet straps and descender rings. It slips. I don't know if it is a webbing material issue or diameter of the rings. They are 2" O.D. and the straps are 1" I thread up through the two rings then feed it between the rings back towards the tree.

I know the half hitch trick but I don't think it should be necessary. What would help? smaller dia. rings or different webbing?

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    Zing it would stretch way to much to hang a hammock from and it's tensile strength isn't enough for shifting loads.
    The descender rings down fall is they are round and not quite enough surface area to bite. That's why many hammocks ship with flat buckles and straps as the flat straps have a lot more surface area contacting the straps. Check out the buckles on Dutch's site:
    https://www.dutchwaregear.com/diy-stuff/

Hammock
    AHE 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    AHE Shangi La
    Insulation
    KAQ Prototype
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Slings
    6-7 years ago decender rings and webbing was a popular suspension system. Everyone tied the slipped half as it is necessary to prevent the webbing from slipping. Then came Cinch Buckles of various types, some need the slipped half and some don't. It depends on the design of the hardware. Rings all need a backup as they do not grip the webbing all that securely. Move to a buckle system and if you pick correctly you can skip the half hitch back up.

Many folks use a rope based system. Whoopie slings are still the most popular of those. But as a person in a hammock can generate some extreme load forces on the suspension there are very few folks that recommend using components that are rated below 1000 pounds test.
    Arrowhead Equipment -- For all your hammock camping and backpacking gear
    Arrowhead-Equipment.com Visit AHE on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Check out pictures on Instagram

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by XJ35S View Post
    Why couldn't I use this zing-it for hanging my hammock?
    You wouldn't be the first person to ask that question, but people generally go for a 5-to-1 or 10-to-1 safety ratio of weight to breaking strength. There's the odd maverick who tries Zing-It 2.2 or even 1.75 as a hammock suspension anyway, but it's rarely done.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    WildernessLogics 12x6
    Tarp
    HG cuben 13ridge12
    Insulation
    TopQuiltUnderQuilt
    Suspension
    S and D

Couple of suspension questions.

There are tables somewhere on Hammock Forums that show actual pound forces on suspensions hung at various hang angles. My memory is weak, so this is just from memory--when hanging at a 30 degree angle there is your body weight on each end of suspension (coming off hammock) then as the hang angle is reduced--the pound forces on each end is increased geometrically--finally when the suspension is at a low angle or almost flat or horizontal--the forces go off the charts and if your lucky your suspension breaks and drops you on your head and spine. If you are unlucky the tree is pulled over and might land on you. Lots of hangers use 7/64 amsteel and I'm overly cautious and use 1/8 amsteel. That will get a 5-to-1 and 10-to-1 margin of safety that is needed when trees are not picture perfect at 10 to 15 foot spacing. There are all kinds of other ways to lighten your pack without using zingit or lashit. That said--we have some ultra light pioneers on Hammock Forums that use dyneema and 1000 pound test spyderline---but they are very careful in site selection--tree spacing-not too far apart so they can get as close to a thirty degree angle of hang as possible--so as not to overstress suspension--and sometimes but not always they hang almost touching the ground and they get in and out the of hammock very carefully to avoid dynamic loading--so no lollygagging. Hike your own hike and have fun out there!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    11' 1.6 Hexon
    Tarp
    D.I.Y. 12' winter
    Insulation
    cool weather
    Suspension
    Poly. S.S. Beckett
    Images
    Thank you all. I thought I read that zing it would stretch initially then stay tight. Hence the log chain hang.

Looking at the buckle costs and having tree straps, I think I'll order a pair of whoppies.

I didn't understand the 5 to 1 loading. Now I get it. Glad I asked first.

Hammock
    HyperD 1.6 DIY 11ft
    Tarp
    PolyD 4000 Cat hex
    Insulation
    Loco Libre quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies and hooks
    I started out with a 450lb rated strap system from Harbor freight. Set it up ONCE at a slightly less than 30* angle due to length limitations and span. Wife decided she needed to lay out in my hammock more than I did. She didn't even get in all the way when the straps exploded. They didn't gracefully let her down to the ground. In several places along both straps they popped all over and she hit the ground hard. She doesn't even almost come close to half the weight rating. If your suspension isn't at least 5x your weight, you are only asking for trouble. Bruises heal, but a broken tailbone is no fun. Hitting rocks at high velocity is problematic while fully awake. Hitting them while asleep would be a rude awakening at the very best.

Cheers,
    the Goat
    Cheers,
    The Goat

Hammock
    WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    JRB/HG
    Suspension
    cinch buckle
    Images
    The Hammock Hang calculator on Derek Hansen's site will allow you to thoroughly explore the forces on your suspension. http://theultimatehang.com/hammock-hang-calculator/
    "Hodor!"
    -Hodor

Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    HG 12' Hex
    Insulation
    JRB Sniveler/MtW3
    Suspension
    Whoopie cushions
    Quote Originally Posted by Billy Goat View Post
    I started out with a 450lb rated strap system from Harbor freight. Set it up ONCE....the straps exploded.
    It seems like everything I buy at Harbor Freight BREAKS!

• + New Posts