Hammock
    DIY gathered end hammock
    Tarp
    DIY HEX Tarp
    Suspension
    Cinch buckles

Differential cut Karo Step UQ

Hi this is my first post, but I have made two hammocks and two tarps in the past. I have some experience when it comes to making gear but I am looking to make a pair of quilts now and thought it wouldn't hurt to have some other opinions.
    I am planing making a karo 30*-35* F UQ. I chose Karo step to avoid weighing out down. The desired finished dimensions are 70"x48"x1.75". I will have a 1" seam allowance. My baffle hight will be 1.5". the Differential top layer will be cut 74.5"x52.25" (not including seam allowance). I have attached a picture of my planned design. I am wondering if I am on the right track? With a quilt like this is the differential cut really worth it? Any feedback or thoughts would be appreciated.

Quilt layout.png

Hammock
    DIY Bridge /Draumr
    Tarp
    DIY Silpoly
    Insulation
    DIY UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    PolyStraps/Huggers
    Personally, I wouldn't worry about adding to the length, just the width. I think your going to need more the 3in ... More like 6....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    “The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men should do nothing.”

- Edmund Burke

your plans look good -- I made a down UQ 44 x 56 x 3.5 with 16 oz of down. Karo Step is the way to go for sure. I did not use a differential between the top and bottom, as lining up the baffles is more difficult that way. I am good into negative digits and comfortable into the 60's with a loose fit. I do recommend secondary suspension -- check our shugemory on you tube for suspension. Working on my down TQ right now. Good luck

Hammock
    DIY gathered end hammock
    Tarp
    DIY HEX Tarp
    Suspension
    Cinch buckles
    Wont this cause compression if I only allow differential in one direction? Should I still add .25" per baffle to the length or just keep the top and bottom length at 70". Also these two quilts are for my wife and I, we are each, on a good day, 5'9". Is 70" a good length or is this going to be a waste of length? I am hoping for this to be full length but i don't want a ton of excess.

Hammock
    DIY gathered end hammock
    Tarp
    DIY HEX Tarp
    Suspension
    Cinch buckles
    Yea I am going to go with a secondary suspension. Planning on using a suspension similar to EE Revolt. I will have Linloc 3's on all 4 corners. The shock cord will run from the Linloc to the an sbener then back to the quilt through a sewn in channel to another sbener on the other end and back to another Linloc.

Hammock
    DIY 11ft Hammock
    Tarp
    3m x3m MYOG Camo
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Amsteel
    I dont bother with diff cut on karo UQ if its wide enough its not a problem, if you do want a bit extra then you could just put box wall construction at the edges, this would give a bit more wriggle room to the outer surface
    Tacblades

Hammock
    DIY gathered end hammock
    Tarp
    DIY HEX Tarp
    Suspension
    Cinch buckles
    I have changed my design slightly I will post a new picture. I am planning to add 1.75" to all the sides but I was still going to do the diff. cut. The more I try and figure out how to approach it the more headache it becomes. If I do for go the diff. cut should I had extra height to the baffles?

Screen Shot 2016-09-12 at 10.08.26 PM.png

Hammock
    DIY gathered end hammock
    Tarp
    DIY HEX Tarp
    Suspension
    Cinch buckles

Final Product

Sorry it has taken so long to post the final product pictures, but I have not been able to get out and test the UQ's. I didn't want to post until I could really test the gear. Here are a few pictures:

I took a trip to George Washington Jefferson National forest this past week and was able to test the Quilts. I was very pleased no cold spots and we even had a surprise night the dipped into the 20's. Sorry I do not have a a good picture of the quilts in use but i did add one of our camp and you can see my wife's quilt. Hope this is helpful for someone.

Hammock
    WalhallaCustom11'
    Tarp
    Walhalla Winter
    Insulation
    LL0°,CRO20°
    Suspension
    CL's/Buckles/Etc
    Certainly can't miss her setup!!

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk
    www.wildcherrywoodworks.com (my business)
    www.mainechopstick.com (my other business)
    www.4alloutdoors.org (a friend's site I do reviews for)
    www.curlymaplechronicles.blogspot.com (my personal blog)

Hammock
    DIY Robic 1.2
    Tarp
    DIY Sil PolyPU4000
    Insulation
    DIY KARO
    Suspension
    UCR
    Quote Originally Posted by bstone5183 View Post
    Sorry it has taken so long to post the final product pictures, but I have not been able to get out and test the UQ's. I didn't want to post until I could really test the gear. Here are a few pictures:

I took a trip to George Washington Jefferson National forest this past week and was able to test the Quilts. I was very pleased no cold spots and we even had a surprise night the dipped into the 20's. Sorry I do not have a a good picture of the quilts in use but i did add one of our camp and you can see my wife's quilt. Hope this is helpful for someone.

Did you go with the differential cut?

• + New Posts