Dutch Argon 11', Ridgerunner!
    Tarp
    SLD Custom RR Tarp
    Insulation
    DIY UQ;SPk Cocoon
    Suspension
    Straps/Cinch Bckls

Unexpected Ridgerunner Hammock Benefits

I recently got a Ridgerunner. I was expecting it to be very comfortable, and it has not disappointed. Haven't slept in it yet, but this weekend! So far it seems MUCH more comfortable than my gathered end 1.6 argon hammock from Dutch, which I thought was pretty good.

But I have been surprised by other positive aspects to the RR.

1) The extra weight of the spreader bars can be completely offset by using trekking poles for support. (This only applies if you use trekking poles.) Used this way, there is minimal weight penalty for the RR.

2) Because of its rectangular shape, with a width of about 3', the underquilt can be quite a bit narrower. This can lead to less bulk and weight than a standard width UQ for a 60" wide gathered end hammock. Also, the RR UQ connects more simply and with less hardware.

3) Since the RR is about 6' 8" by 3', you can get away with a much smaller tarp. Even a 12' ridgeline on a tarp for an 11" gathered end hammock doesn't cover that much of the very ends of the hammock. A 9' long tarp gives you more coverage at the ends on a RR. Again, potential weight and bulk savings. I got a custom 9' tarp, tapering from 8.5' wide at the head to 6.5' wide at the foot, and like its coverage. In silnylon, it only weighs 10 oz, which isn't much heavier than a full-sized, spun-from-golden-thread 8.5 oz Cuben Fiber. No doors on mine, but I didn't want them anyway.

I'm expecting to sleep great this weekend in the RR; if I don't, or if I get soaked, you can disregard the above commentary!
    Last edited by goober; 08-25-2016 at 13:23.

Hammock
    SuperiorGear or Dutch netless
    Tarp
    custom pentagon
    Insulation
    down hammock or UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Images
    Agreed that its a fine hammock for a lot of reasons that aren't widely discussed. I disagree with you a bit on the tarp. An 11' hammock is only 11' when laid out flat on the floor (or pulled to no sag). A fixed ridgeline for an 11' hammock is around 110", or slightly over 9'. So the actual difference is a little less than a foot and a half. OK, 3/4' on either end is good, but keep in mind that the RR sits a bit lower typically. You may have a tarp that has the ability to provide close coverage on top and still clear the poles, or you might not. If not, and if you don't have doors, you're going to have at least similar exposure, perhaps worse.
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

Hammock
    WBRR
    Suspension
    Beckett hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by goober View Post
    2) Because of its rectangular shape, with a width of about 3', the underquilt can be quite a bit narrower. This can lead to less bulk and weight than a standard width UQ for a 60" wide gathered end hammock. Also, the RR UQ connects more simply and with less hardware.
    It also allows for a very simple, easy to do, DIY underquilt with almost no fiddle factor.

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    Very good observations. One of my favorite attributes about this hammock is your #2. I love the fact that you can hook up the under quilt in about 20-30 seconds and be done with it. There are no adjustments and that's perfect for me. For me the extra weigh of the poles is a push considering the comfort of the hammock.

Hammock
    Dutch Argon 11', Ridgerunner!
    Tarp
    SLD Custom RR Tarp
    Insulation
    DIY UQ;SPk Cocoon
    Suspension
    Straps/Cinch Bckls
    Oh, and one more surprise RR benefit:

4)Because the sides of the Ridgerunner don't go up as much, there is better visibility and a sense of open-ness; gathered end hammocks go up several inches higher on the sides and restrict peripheral vision.

Hammock
    WB RidgeRunner DL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Burrow; pads, Lynx
    Suspension
    Dutch's Cinch Bugs
    And the Ridgerunner is a great hammock for watching the Perseid meteor showers from, sans tarp.

Hammock
    WBRR
    Suspension
    Beckett hitch
    Images
    Easy access pockets and storage areas....

Hammock
    Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    Cuben W/Doors
    Insulation
    Pad
    Suspension
    stock straps
    members of the opposite sex suddenly find you more attractive

Hammock
    ridgerunner
    Tarp
    superfly
    Suspension
    buckles
    You are the envy of all your tent loving friends.

Hammock
    WBRR and 11' Dutch
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    I've slept in my RR numerous times now, about 4 times on the trail and the rest where it stays strung up in my "hammock room" at home.
    I have had a WB UQ in my shopping cart for a while but every time I sleep in the hammock without anything under it I find it slightly less comfortable than I do with an air pad. So I'm thinking I'm a pad guy. It's so much more cushioning than laying straight on the more firm material on the bottom.
    All that to say, no matter what your preference may be, the RR is capable of attracting a wide array of folks.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast