Tarp
    WB SF and WL TP
    Insulation
    UGQ & HG
    Suspension
    multiple
    Images

Labor Day Weekend: Who's Camping Out?

It's been a long hot summer, but we're finally getting back out to the piney woods for an overnight backpacking trip this Labor Day weekend. So far, the forecast is showing a possible high of 71 with an overnight low of 39 for the area we'll be in and no rain in sight. Couldn't ask for much better weather conditions. It should be a good trip. Short little 2 mile hike from the trailhead to our planned destination along a river in Carson-Iceberg wilderness. We'll also be breaking in 3 new backpackers on this trip, so hopefully all goes well. Who else is going to be hitting the trail for the upcoming holiday weekend?
    Scarecrow on Instagram

"If somebody tells you there's a rule, break it. That's the only thing that moves things forward."
    -Hans Zimmer

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    Wow! Lucky you. We hit 97 today with a heat index of 106. The weather man said take today and duplicate it for the next 8-10 days. It's still a month more summer for us then maybe by mid October we'll hit some comfortable lows. Have fun and let us know how your trip goes. I'll be heading to the lake for the weekend to keep cool but even there the water is in the upper 80's.

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    WB SF and WL TP
    Insulation
    UGQ & HG
    Suspension
    multiple
    Images
    By some stroke of luck, we managed to get on a slight cooling trend over here. Looking at Weather Underground, today's high at home was 90 degrees. Better than the 100+ we had a couple weeks ago for sure. As for the Labor Day weekend forecast, it's still showing 91 here at home, but 71 degrees in the mountains where we hike at during the summer. It's typically always 20 degrees cooler up there, so it's a nice retreat from the heat.

As for the upcoming trip report, there should be some video coming this time. I just picked up an Ultrapod II, so I'll be playing around with that on this trip. Going to see how the filming goes for me with the camera mounted to a trekking pole like a lot of folks seem to do. Good times await. Enjoy the lake, and hopefully the weather is in your favor.
    Scarecrow on Instagram

"If somebody tells you there's a rule, break it. That's the only thing that moves things forward."
    -Hans Zimmer

Hammock
    11' Mutton Chop
    Tarp
    Camo Cuben Palace
    Insulation
    Loco Libre!
    Suspension
    Straps and Slings
    Images
    I'll be out for 3 nights with my daughters at our favorite state forest campgrounds. We may be visited by some friends too. Looking forward to it.
    perrito

"If a man speaks in the woods, and there is no woman there to hear, is he still wrong?"

Senior Member Pennsy Camp and Canoe's Avatar
    Hammock
    Dutchware 11' netless - Dark OG
    Tarp
    DIY 12' Winter hex
    Insulation
    LLG UQ, HG TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Cinch Buckle
    Images
    nothing planned, but i already have friday off so well probably car camp somewhere nice

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    WB SF and WL TP
    Insulation
    UGQ & HG
    Suspension
    multiple
    Images
    Normally on a holiday weekend, I wouldn't go backpacking to a spot like this because I know there's going to be a high number of hikers passing through the area. However, a lady friend of mine has been wanting me to introduce her to backpacking, and this was the date she picked for us to go. So she picked the date, and I picked the location. She's bringing her son along who has also never gone backpacking, so this will be a first for the both of them. The 3rd newbie is a friend of mine who's been wanting to go for a while as well. He caught wind of the upcoming trip and jumped at the opportunity. Currently, only one other person (who's been hiking longer than me) is coming along, so it's set up as a group of five. Out of us five, I'm the only hanger going, so getting that real good hanging spot shouldn't be too difficult. Heck, I may even convince someone to join the bark side on this trip. Haha
    Scarecrow on Instagram

-Hans Zimmer

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    WB SF and WL TP
    Insulation
    UGQ & HG
    Suspension
    multiple
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by perrito View Post
    I'll be out for 3 nights with my daughters at our favorite state forest campgrounds. We may be visited by some friends too. Looking forward to it.
    Very nice. Wish I had the time available to go out for 3 nights. How big of a group are you anticipating?
    Scarecrow on Instagram

-Hans Zimmer

Hammock
    DIY TCF Sage Green
    Tarp
    Noah's Tarp 12x12
    Insulation
    MAMW TQ, UGQ UQ
    Suspension
    webbing/whoopies
    Images
    My wife and I want to get out but don't have firm plans yet. Tentatively we want to leave Sunday after church and go to wherever, do a short hike to our camping spot, have a nice hike the next day and head home.

Will update when we figure out where!

Planning on 3 nights in my traditional hang spot at the family cottage. Hopefully the neighbors won't stay up all night partying on their deck 20 feet away. Can't beat the morning view though!

Hammock
    Clark Tropical
    Tarp
    A big one
    Insulation
    CCF and down bag
    Suspension
    rope and knots
    I find just after the Labour Day Weekend to be the best camping of the season (next to dead of winter but that's just me). Kids are back in school and just a few very friendly and quiet seniors are enjoy the outdoors. Oh and the fish are starting to pack on the groceries!
    I camp in the back 40 so that I can still do some stuff around the house and make it to church after a shower and shave on Sunday morning.
    Enjoy the weekend ,and be safe everyone.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast