Tarp
    Superfly, MambaJam
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix, WL Sum
    Suspension
    Webbing, Whoopies
    Images

Video: Carvers Gap to Erwin TN

After 4 months of not doing much to keep in shape, I decided to join Firebird on a 3 day adventure on the AT.
    This took us from Carvers Gap (Roan Mountain) southbound to Uncle Johnny's, roughly 36 miles in 3 days.

Firebird is in great shape & was a good sport as I huffed & puffed my way over the hills.
    The video pretty ends a bit abruptly, as all I could think about was getting into an air conditioned car (it was 88* out) and getting some Gatorade.
    But I'm glad we did it, and the pain has a way of fading as you look back on the trip.

At the end of the video, I do a quick review of the Guthook AT Guide app for your phone.
    I was lazy & didn't want to look up the water sources, so I paid some $ and I was happy with how it worked. It even had updated trail routing compared to the ATC GPX data.

Hammock
    DIY bridge
    Tarp
    DIY
    Thanks for posting and sharing.

Hammock
    2 Blackbird XLC 1.7 DL SL
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    IncubatorSniveller
    Suspension
    Standard Warbonnet
    Thanks for sharing Paul. Looks like a nice outing despite the mention of rain during your 2nd day hike. Did you have water protection with you?

Hammock
    HH Explorer Delux w/2QZQ Mo, WB XLC
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HH SS, HG UQ
    Suspension
    DIY Desending Ring
    Looks like a long hard trip but some great views. I was out the same weekend hiking Cumberland Gap National Park and the heat was our problem too, and even at night. The whole Unicoi County is a beautiful area. Thanks for posting.

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    That first hike after not being out for a while is always a tough one. Kudos on doing so many miles on your first hike back. I couldn't have done that many miles. Thanks for sharing.

Hammock
    Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    Cuben W/Doors
    Insulation
    Pad
    Suspension
    stock straps
    Nice hike. The weather sure has been a kick in the pants, I hope this fall and winter are less humid.

Hammock
    DIY TCF Sage Green
    Tarp
    Noah's Tarp 12x12
    Insulation
    MAMW TQ, UGQ UQ
    Suspension
    webbing/whoopies
    Images
    Thanks for sharing. We had mixed success with the GutHook App on a recent trip, but I'm pretty sure it was the phone and not the app that was glitchy.

I hear ya about the conditioning, we haven't been doing too well either the last month or so. Gonna hurt when we pick back up and hopefully that will be soon!

Hammock
    WBXLC, WBBB, LiteOwl
    Tarp
    Superfly, MambaJam
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix, WL Sum
    Suspension
    Webbing, Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by groupertrpr View Post
    Thanks for posting and sharing.
    Thanks groupertrpr

Quote Originally Posted by JSH View Post
    Thanks for sharing Paul. Looks like a nice outing despite the mention of rain during your 2nd day hike. Did you have water protection with you?
    I was carrying my Frogg Toggs jacket & rain shorts but the rain never got so bad we had to put the gear on. It was more of a relief to be cooled down on a hot day.

Quote Originally Posted by Canoefor2 View Post
    Looks like a long hard trip but some great views. I was out the same weekend hiking Cumberland Gap National Park and the heat was our problem too, and even at night. The whole Unicoi County is a beautiful area. Thanks for posting.
    II'll admit the heat got to me. It wasn't horrible at those elevations, but it was just one more thing in addition to not being in shape. Fortunately the nights were cool enough to sleep. Unicoi is a beautiful area.

Quote Originally Posted by TrailSlug View Post
    That first hike after not being out for a while is always a tough one. Kudos on doing so many miles on your first hike back. I couldn't have done that many miles. Thanks for sharing.
    It was a tough one. I probably bit of more than I should have - I tend to focus on the "mountain views' & 'wildflower" part of the write-ups, and skim over the miles & elevation gains

Quote Originally Posted by cjayflo View Post
    Nice hike. The weather sure has been a kick in the pants, I hope this fall and winter are less humid.
    I'm pretty sick of the hot weather - it's been relentless.

Quote Originally Posted by johnspenn View Post
    Thanks for sharing. We had mixed success with the GutHook App on a recent trip, but I'm pretty sure it was the phone and not the app that was glitchy.
    I hear ya about the conditioning, we haven't been doing too well either the last month or so. Gonna hurt when we pick back up and hopefully that will be soon!
    What was your challenge with the Guthook app? The one thing I noticed, which wasn't an issue but I could see it being one potentially, is it doesn't keep your GPS on & locked on. That is good cause it saves battery, but can be bad if you can't get a GPS signal.
    On the conditioning.... at least I've got a start on getting ready for fall trips

Hammock
    DIY standard gathered end (DL 1.1)
    Tarp
    Chinook 12x9
    Insulation
    Nada ... yet
    Suspension
    DIY whoopies
    Images
    TP,

Thanks for taking us along. I always enjoy your videos and the pointers that you add when it comes to production, navigation, etc.

STinGa
    Sarcasm is a dying art.

Eagle Scout September '85 Troop 339 Smyrna, TN

Images
    Hi TP excellent video as always. I always forget to post a thanks here on HF because I sub to your channel.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast