How cold can I go? Cost/benefits of upgrading

I made the switch to hammock camping just this summer, so I really don't have any experience with sleeping in anything other than hot weather while in a hammock. I'm not a deep winter hiker, but I do like to hike late in the fall and early in the spring. I hike mostly in Eastern KY and don't generally hike if I know it's going to be below freezing at night. Also, I am working on multi day hikes, so all weather protection (particularly rain) is a must for me.

My current setup is:
    Dutchware hammock
    Kelty Cosmic Down 20
    Poncho Liner Under Quilt (PLUQ)
    Kelty Noah 9 Tarp

Upgrades I am considering:
    EE Revolution Quilt 20 degree
    EE Under quilt
    Warbonnet Superfly

So, I guess my questions are what improvement can I expect to see if I upgrade my set up and what should I expect my current gear to be able to do?

Hammock
    Grand Trunk Ultralight
    Tarp
    Blue Poly
    Insulation
    Too many pasties.
    Suspension
    Home made
    You will gain some weight in your pack and lose some in your wallet in exchange for warmth and coverage.
    Hanging out in da UP.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Well, the Warbonnet Superfly will be a huge improvement over the Kelty Noah 9, that's for sure. You'll have 4-season protection. My general rule of thumb with quilts is to have a 10* cushion over expected low temps, so if you get a 20* UQ and TQ, that should take you to 30* F. I don't know much about EE quilts (I use HG quilts), but as long as they're 20* rated, you should be good to 30* F.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    DIY Hexon 1.0, Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    HG UQ's, EE TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    I find EE quilts to be great, and I think, unless you are a cold sleeper, that you will get close to 20deg.

I don't think you'll gain much weight, if any, either but I'm not gonna check specs.

Hammock
    DIY 11ft
    Tarp
    DIY - SilPoly 2.0
    Insulation
    DIY Climashield 5
    Suspension
    UCR
    Images
    My oldest son uses that same kelty bag with a diy apex 5.0 under quilt and we go down to about 30 with no issues.

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Raven, SLD Streamliner
    Tarp
    Hanger11WB,WntrHvn
    Insulation
    HG,UGQ,JrB
    Suspension
    UCR's
    Images
    I would upgrade your tarp first, get yourself better coverage and out of the heat robbing wind. Then get an UQ rated to the lowest temp you plan to encounter, underneath is where you need insulation the most. Since you say you don't go out if it's below freezing, a 30* should be just fine. Your bag will work almost as well as a TQ, so I would upgrade that last.

Hammock
    DIY Bridge /Draumr
    Tarp
    DIY Silpoly
    Insulation
    DIY UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    PolyStraps/Huggers
    So I would tell you that your in pretty good shape. I would consider adding a pad to your setup and layering that with you PLUQ. Together they will get you down into the 30's. There has been a lot of discussion on other forums of the benefit of layering insulation, maybe a smarter strategy....

I agree with the Surfer and goodie, I would spring for a tarp before anything else. A winter tarp with doors will get you both better protection in weather as well as something you can even use when it gets hot again. It will protect you from the wind which is the biggest robber of warmth when it starts getting cold...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    “The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men should do nothing.”

- Edmund Burke

Agree with the idea to upgrade the tarp first.

I hadn't really thought about wind, but I am just barely covered by it and am quite concerned about getting caught in a downpour and getting soaked.

They offer the Superfly in olive drab, but there is supposedly a camo version in the works that appeals very much to the little boy in me. I will probably hold out till it hits the market

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Darien
    Tarp
    Zpacks Cuben
    Insulation
    EE TQ and UQ
    Suspension
    Speed Hooks
    I love my EE quilts. I have a 40degree enigma and 30degree 55" underquilt. I've taken them down to the upper twenties and been very comfortable wearing a merino wool baselayer. Both of my quilts are around 13-14 oz each so I'd imagine their combined weight is probably close to what you have in just your sleeping bag currently.

I do agree with most of the others here though I would upgrade the tarp first. For me the superfly would be excessive (but they're well loved) and I'd be happier with a smaller tarp and door kit for one side. Just be smart with your site selection and setup the door on the side that needs more protection. I used a Wilderness Logics Tadpole in this manner but I know warbonnet has similar options.

Hammock
    WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    JRB/HG
    Suspension
    cinch buckle
    Images
    I used to have one of the older Kelty Cosmic Down 20 degree sleeping bags. I was cold in it twice in the high to mid 30's and I'm not a particularly cold sleeper. Maybe mine was just a lemon but I would be careful trusting one in below 40 degrees.
    "Hodor!"
    -Hodor

• + New Posts