I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Was just gifted with a Hennessy Ultralite Explorer.......never ever even laid up in a Hennessy. Looking forward to trying it out.
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    Hennesy
    Tarp
    various
    Insulation
    pads, foam
    Images
    The ridge line needs some tension on it when you are laying in the hammock. With a good setup you can put it between two fingers and twist and feel a little give. If it's banjo string tight you are stressing the setup.

The whole idea of ridge lines is to set the length of the hammock anchor points for a consistent amount of sag. If you hang between tow fixed points like a turtle dog stand ridge pole with fixed loops to the hammock you don't need one. OTOH if hanging between different trees and moving often it saves a lot of time trying to tune the suspension length. Just tighten up enough to snug the ridge line and the hammock is at the right length because the hammock always hangs between the ridge line attachment points.
    YMMV

HYOH

Free advice worth what you paid for it. ;-)

Hammock
    HG,Dutch,XLC ,RR
    Tarp
    Superfly, AH hex,
    Insulation
    HG, Snugpak, SLD
    Suspension
    Whoopie Ti toggle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Shug View Post
    Was just gifted with a Hennessy Ultralite Explorer.......never ever even laid up in a Hennessy. Looking forward to trying it out.
    Shug
    I hadnt either untill last night, and so far im digging it. Idk how it compairs to all of the other hammocks youve lollygagged in, but its waaaaaay better than the cheap Equip i started with lol. Im still having issues getting the Snugpak UQ to hug the sides and bottom correctly without having it be too tight. Any tips from the hammock master? Lol
    " The best pace is a suicide pace, and today looks like a good day to die." ~ Steve Prefontaine

Hammock
    Argon 11 ft or HH BKUL
    Tarp
    Asym DIY Pole Mod
    Insulation
    DIY, Jarbrige,HHSS
    Suspension
    Lashings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Chesapeake View Post
    Im still having issues getting the Snugpak UQ to hug the sides and bottom correctly without having it be too tight.
    I find the best fit when using a traditional UQ on the HH a-sym is to not use the hammock side tie outs. This is based on the small HH Backpacker UL hammock I use.
    The best fitting bottom insulation for the HH a-sym is the HH SuperShelter. Mine HH is the classic bottom entry and a 3/4 length UQ works OK, but still has some gaps. The best HH winter set-up for me is the HH SS with the 3/4 UQ inside the SS (below the foam pad and on top of the bottom cover).
    Enjoying the simple things in life -
    Own less, live more.

Hammock
    Hennessy Hammock Expedition Classic
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah 12
    Insulation
    JRB underquilt
    Suspension
    Tree huggers
    Shug
    Curious to know what you think. I've had my HH for over a year, and I'm happy with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Hennessy Hammock Expedition Classic
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah 12
    Insulation
    JRB underquilt
    Suspension
    Tree huggers

Tips for a new HH owner ???

Quote Originally Posted by oldpappy View Post
    I find the best fit when using a traditional UQ on the HH a-sym is to not use the hammock side tie outs. This is based on the small HH Backpacker UL hammock I use.
    The best fitting bottom insulation for the HH a-sym is the HH SuperShelter. Mine HH is the classic bottom entry and a 3/4 length UQ works OK, but still has some gaps. The best HH winter set-up for me is the HH SS with the 3/4 UQ inside the SS (below the foam pad and on top of the bottom cover).
    Agreed. I also use a 3/4 UQ with my bottom entry HH Exped, and it works MUCH better without the side tie outs staked out. The down side is I feel more cramped without them holding the sides out. Slightly cramped is better than cold though, IMHO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    HG,Dutch,XLC ,RR
    Tarp
    Superfly, AH hex,
    Insulation
    HG, Snugpak, SLD
    Suspension
    Whoopie Ti toggle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by oldpappy View Post
    Good idea. I tried again last night and with a stiff breeze off of the bay it got down to around 58°-60° by 7am. I couldn't feel any cold spots on the bottom but the gaps on the sides along the bottom of the netting did allow some of the stronger gusts to creep in a bit. I normally use an S biner on the tarp RL and run the short end UQ shock cord up to that to pull the ends up snug since the Snugpak UQ doesn't have a way to sinch the ends like a traditional UQ. But I had the typhoon f!y on the HH suspension last night( no CRL) so I tied those cords over the hammock RL to close the ends some. Worked OK, but not optimal in colder temps. Tonight I'll try not using the HH side tieouts and see how that works. I'll have to do it that way anyway if I double up my Snuggpak full length UQ with my DIY Jungle Blanket UQ since the diy doesn't have the grosgrain loops like the other UQ does to use with the timeouts. Gotta get it dialed in before next weekends MDT hike with kale kale and OldnWay.
    " The best pace is a suicide pace, and today looks like a good day to die." ~ Steve Prefontaine

Just picked up a brand new one, never opened, for $125 from someone who received it as a gift. Figure I'll monkey around with it for a bit, figure out what I like, and give it to my son for his Boy Scout camps. Pretty stoked.

Hammock
    Argon 11 ft or HH BKUL
    Tarp
    Asym DIY Pole Mod
    Insulation
    DIY, Jarbrige,HHSS
    Suspension
    Lashings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by HammyDavisJr View Post
    Just picked up a brand new one, never opened, for $125 from someone who received it as a gift. Figure I'll monkey around with it for a bit, figure out what I like, and give it to my son for his Boy Scout camps. Pretty stoked.
    If you would like some tips/hints just let us know what model and tarp/snakeskins that came with it.
    Enjoying the simple things in life -
    Own less, live more.

Tarp
    HG hex 1 grizzbeak
    Insulation
    EE Rev30
    Images
    Shug
    This what I have its pretty dang comfy but I don't have much experience.

I like the ring method I hang in about 30 seconds. And I use a CRL and stingerz on my sideouts in case my ridge line ever fails. I did go for the 2qzq mod 4 but was really looking at mod 1,2 as well. I looked hard at the typhoon too, but went with Multicam survivor and hg cf hex now. I'm planning a thru hike of the AT in 2018. Or I would have stayed with theasym tarp as it gives great views but I wanted a bit more protection from the Kansas wind.
    In the shadows

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast