Dutch 11'
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    EE and Costco
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks

20° UQ vs. 40° with 2oz overstuff

I've been debating for a while on what to get for a 3 season quilt set. I have a 0° set up and would like something to fall in between that and some MYOG Costco quilts that I can push to the high 40's. Something in the 30° range would be great. So what are the dowsides/upsides to a 20° set vs a 40° with 2oz overstuff? The 40° quilts would come in lighter and cheaper by my calculations and I think would cover me to the 30's. Anyone have any insight?

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    I don't know about 40 with 2 oz. overstuff. My first underquilt was a 20* Phoenix with 2 oz. overstuff. However, my feet got cold all the time, even with a pad. I sold the 20* Phoenix with 2 oz. overstuff and just got a 20* Phoenix.

My rule of thumb is to have a 10* cushion over expected lows. So if the low is 30* F, then I'll take my 20* UQ. If it's 20* F, I'll take the 0* Incubator.

Using that rule, your 40* with 2 oz. of overstuff would be good down to 40* F. However, it seems like a 20* UQ would probably be the wiser choice since you could take that down to 30* F.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    BoneFire,DIY Bridge,DH
    Tarp
    HG DCF,UGQ,DIY
    Insulation
    BoneFire,UGQ,Clew
    Suspension
    BoneFire Deluxe
    My custom HG 30 degree quilt is a 40 with 2 oz overstuff, but they increased the baffle size to make it a true 30 degree

Hammock
    Bonefire Whisper
    Tarp
    HG DCF Hex
    Insulation
    Sheltowee JRB SS
    Suspension
    Bonefire
    You have a 40 UQ kit, go with a true 20. It will give you much more range for the buck.

When you get below that go with the 0. With base layers, socks, and fleece hood I can take my 40/20 well into the low teens.
    Signature suspended

Hammock
    SuperiorGear or Dutch netless
    Tarp
    custom pentagon
    Insulation
    down hammock or UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Images
    I routinely use my zero UQ in the 30s. If I were you, I'd get the 40 with overstuff. My 3-season Jarbridge is the same weight as my full length zero Incubator, so my dividing line is similar... if I'm expecting around freezing temps (or lower), I take the zero. If I'm expecting temps in the low 40s into the 30s, then I take the Jarbridge, as I do on summer trips. I also agree with SS's 10 degree rule of thumb, but I think you're covered for lower temps if for some reason the 40 is not doing for you what you're expecting. I'd even say you don't need the overstuff, but if I had to do it over again with my down quilts, I'd get it anyway.
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    My first UQ was a 40°+2 Incubator. The overfill made it nice and plush, but it still less loft by design. I remember taking it down to about 32° and felt like I was pushing it. But I was new to hammocking at the time and may not have had everything dialed in perfect.

A 20° set is really hard to beat. It's nice to have that extra cushion. My latest purchase was a 20 Phoenix even though I'm all about full length versions. I got it for warmer weather, but still went with the 20° since it's much more versatile.

A 40° UQ has its place, but you better be doing a lot of 50°+ nights to get use out of it, and the weatherman better be right too.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    HG CF 11'
    Insulation
    HG TQ, Wookie UQ
    Suspension
    Buckles and Straps
    I picked up a 40° Incubator with 2 oz of overstuffing, and I have to admit SilverSurfr is pretty spot on. I can work it at 30°, but I'd better have some extra clothes on to keep me comfy.

I like my custom 30° UQ for the 70°-40° range, if I know it's going below that I usually grab my 0° quilt just to make sure I'm nice and warm.

Also, ensure to ask for the custom tag as I'm not sure they'll provide it if not asked.

Hammock
    Mayan / Freebird
    Tarp
    SLD Custom
    Insulation
    UGQ 30*F / 0*F
    Suspension
    Whoopie / fleaz
    I still need to buy my 30˚F, but this is how I envision it:

Hot->Rain->Can see my breath = 30˚F
    Frost->Snow->Ice = 0˚F

Plus, as UGQ pointed out for me, the 30˚F top quilt and the 0˚F UQ will cover those shoulder seasons perfectly.

Hammock
    DIY w/ Net
    Tarp
    DIY 11'x10' Hex
    Insulation
    DIY UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoppies + TS
    Images
    Overstuff doesn't work the way most people think. A 40* with 2oz overstuff isn't a 30* quilt. Optimistically you might gain 6 degree's (2oz overstuff on a Hammock gear Burrow 40*F), but it's somewhere between 3-6 based on the data I've been able to analyze. This is assuming the quilt already lofts to it's maximum (which it should if designed correctly). Subject to user variation, of course. There ARE people who can take a 40* quilt into the 30's, and sometime the cottage maker's ratings are conservative.

But long story short: buy a quilt rated for the temp you expect to see. Don't rely on magical "overstuff" to get you there - you may be sorely disappointed. If you want a 30*F quilt ask them to make you a 30*F quilt (I know Hammock Gear will), with the appropriate loft.

If you're curious, here's the thread where I worked that out: https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...=1#post1352621

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Boston View Post
    But long story short: buy a quilt rated for the temp you expect to see. Don't rely on magical "overstuff" to get you there - you may be sorely disappointed. If you want a 30*F quilt ask them to make you a 30*F quilt (I know Hammock Gear will), with the appropriate loft.
    I couldn't agree more. It also really depends on if you are a cold sleeper or warm. My rule of thumb is +10. A 20° quilt will get me to the 30's, a 0° to 10 etc. This way I'm never cold nor do I want to get that way.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast