Fox Outfitters Double
    Tarp
    Hennessy Hex
    Insulation
    KAQ UQ / OV Aerie
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopies

Cheaha Wilderness Area > Pin-Chin-Sky Loop > October

MasterStrapper and I have decided to branch out from our beloved Sipsey for a trip this fall. We're planning to do the Pinhoti--Chinnabee Silent--Skyway Loop over in Talladega NF/Cheaha Wilderness Area. I've read several trip reports, watched videos, stared at the route on my maplets App via my porcelain throne, and envisioned myself huffing and puffing the first section of the Pinhoti, as well as the Stairway to Heaven, and the early section of the Chinnabee.

I figure we'll be getting to Adam's Gap somewhere around lunch unless we're able to exit North MS before 6am on Friday. We'll have until Sunday morning to exit so there'll be no need to rush through our Friday afternoon or Saturday hike.

Any and all tips and/or advice is welcomed. Wouldn't mind hearing about the best campsites along this loop for a multi-night trip. Which sections are worth exploring and which should we push through?
    The clearest way into the Universe is through a forest wilderness.
    John Muir

The very basic core of a man's living spirit is his passion for adventure.
    Christopher McCandless

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 Double
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe Spin
    Insulation
    Baby Orca, Pad
    Suspension
    Webbing
    That's a great hike!

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    Tadpole
    Insulation
    HG 20 Econ Phoenix
    Suspension
    Fiddling...
    Please take plenty of pictures and come back and tell us all about it!

Charlotte

Hammock
    WB XLC
    Tarp
    DIY Xen Sil winter
    Insulation
    WB Wooki
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    I can't wait to hear about it - I'm from Birmingham and trying to get more into hiking

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    “The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.”

Hammock
    WBBB XLC, DUTCHWARE, ETC...
    Tarp
    HG WP/Standard
    Insulation
    HG INCUBATOR/PHOEN
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Cinch
    I love this loop. Friday evening, head up the trail toward the stairway to heaven. You'll find relatively easy walking until you get to the stairway approach and the stairway, which will get the heart pumping for a half mile or so. Once on top of the stairway, you'll be treated to some amazing views in a few spots which will make up for the steep climb you just had to endure. From the top, the trail levels back out again for a relatively manageable stroll along the ridge. As a side note, make sure you bring plenty of water when you start out on Friday because you won't find much water for about five or six miles into the day. Anyway, another mile or so along the top of the ridge and you'll run into a couple of small streams (their water flow is determined by the time of year and recent rainfall) where you can find water and a few nice campsites along the trail. I personally prefer the site not far from the first stream which has the rock outcropping overlook where I can watch the sun go down from my hammock while sipping a beverage. On Saturday morning, laze around camp for a while and then work your way down the mountain from the well-marked intersection which will take you down a rather steep section of trail and then through another short rock garden before reaching the creek you have to cross just before reaching the primitive car campground. From here, you'll have easy walking for the remainder of the day as you go past Cheaha Falls, the Cheaha shelter and then cross the water again at the Chinnabee park/campground. (Chinnabee has a couple of picknick tables and a toilet, making it a great place to take lunch) This will be a beautiful section with plenty of water and plenty of small falls to photograph. After crossing over at the park/campground and heading up the hill on the other side, you'll likely want to travel another four miles or so before camping so that you'll have a short walk out on Sunday morning. There's a great camp spot at a water crossing at just about two miles before reaching Adam's Gap that I can highly recommend. Wake up late Sunday morning. Make some coffee and shoot the crap with your friends. Get packed up and walk the two miles out. Stop by the Cracker Barrell in Oxford on your way home for a real breakfast to top off your trip while sipping coffee and talking about what a great trip it was with your friends.
    I hate it when people accuse me of lolly gagging when I'm clearly dilly dallying...

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by johnmark View Post
    I love this loop. Friday evening, head up the trail toward the stairway to heaven. You'll find relatively easy walking until you get to the stairway approach and the stairway, which will get the heart pumping for a half mile or so. Once on top of the stairway, you'll be treated to some amazing views in a few spots which will make up for the steep climb you just had to endure. From the top, the trail levels back out again for a relatively manageable stroll along the ridge. As a side note, make sure you bring plenty of water when you start out on Friday because you won't find much water for about five or six miles into the day. Anyway, another mile or so along the top of the ridge and you'll run into a couple of small streams (their water flow is determined by the time of year and recent rainfall) where you can find water and a few nice campsites along the trail. I personally prefer the site not far from the first stream which has the rock outcropping overlook where I can watch the sun go down from my hammock while sipping a beverage. On Saturday morning, laze around camp for a while and then work your way down the mountain from the well-marked intersection which will take you down a rather steep section of trail and then through another short rock garden before reaching the creek you have to cross just before reaching the primitive car campground. From here, you'll have easy walking for the remainder of the day as you go past Cheaha Falls, the Cheaha shelter and then cross the water again at the Chinnabee park/campground. (Chinnabee has a couple of picknick tables and a toilet, making it a great place to take lunch) This will be a beautiful section with plenty of water and plenty of small falls to photograph. After crossing over at the park/campground and heading up the hill on the other side, you'll likely want to travel another four miles or so before camping so that you'll have a short walk out on Sunday morning. There's a great camp spot at a water crossing at just about two miles before reaching Adam's Gap that I can highly recommend. Wake up late Sunday morning. Make some coffee and shoot the crap with your friends. Get packed up and walk the two miles out. Stop by the Cracker Barrell in Oxford on your way home for a real breakfast to top off your trip while sipping coffee and talking about what a great trip it was with your friends.
    Wow! Excellent write-up and very detailed descriptions on what to expect. I do know that when the leaves fall in the area the hiking becomes much more labored as the rocks are covered and make for a bit of tough hiking. But this can be said of any rocky trial in the fall in these parts.

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    diy sil argon camo
    Insulation
    lynx
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Excellent loop hike! My son and I did it in April--I like to park at adams gap and get the stairway to heaven out of the way right off the bat. Also, with fall leaves all over the trail, it might be a bit dicey going down hill (I always feel like I have more control going up hill) Just a couple of thoughts to consider............in October it can be pretty dry from adams gap until you get to turnipseed camp (depends on the rain)
    -also, for some reason we had trouble finding the trail after crossing the stream/creek at lake chinnabee, (its not marked very well, and even though I've hiked the loop several times, it took a while to find it --there are lots of day hiker/fishermans paths along the creek so its kind of confusing) So give your self plenty of time . I've never hiked the loop in the fall --not sure how overgrown the trail is that time of year.
    Not sure when hunting season starts but might want to wear orange.
    There a couple of great campsites on the skyway trail-you really cant go wrong! Enjoy your hike and be sure to post pictures!
    FYI: If you want to know what type a certain bear is, sneak up behind it and kick it. Then,
    run like crazy and climb up a tree. If the bear climbs the tree and eats you, it's a black
    bear. If the bear just pushes the tree over and eats you, it's a grizzly bear : )

Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me, either, just leave me alone.
    --unknown

Hammock
    Sierra Madre Ninox
    Tarp
    DIY 12x10/Stratos
    Insulation
    HG UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Straps/Amsteel UCR
    Images
    I am really diggin this thread. Will be looking for the report. I am 5 hours from the Pin and it has been on the radar for a while.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    diy sil argon camo
    Insulation
    lynx
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    The Pinhoti is a great trail! I've done about half of the Alabama section-----------------and I can honestly say it has never disappointed me! (that's partly why I've never hiked the whole trail--I like it so much I keep coming back to the same sections over and over again!)
    FYI: If you want to know what type a certain bear is, sneak up behind it and kick it. Then,
    run like crazy and climb up a tree. If the bear climbs the tree and eats you, it's a black
    bear. If the bear just pushes the tree over and eats you, it's a grizzly bear : )

Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me, either, just leave me alone.
    --unknown

Hammock
    Fox Outfitters Double
    Tarp
    Hennessy Hex
    Insulation
    KAQ UQ / OV Aerie
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopies
    Thanks everyone for the tips so far. I printed and laminated the trail guide from http://www.pinhotitrailalliance.org/...chin-sky..html
    I don't usually like knowing every twist and turn or upcoming landmark b/c I feel it takes away from the adventure of a trip. But in this case, having never been to Cheaha, I'm doing a little extra pre-trip planning.
    The clearest way into the Universe is through a forest wilderness.
    John Muir

The very basic core of a man's living spirit is his passion for adventure.
    Christopher McCandless

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast