Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    WEB
    Images

No longer in step.

HF has been my favorite site for the past six years but age has taken it's toll so that I am now looking for other sites that are similar to HF but are more focused on base type camping and less on light weight hiking. I posted a video the other day and received less than 50 hits so that it has become all too apparent that I am no longer in step with the current interest level on HF and it is time to back off and move on. I probably will check in now and then but no longer as a donating member. I owe a lot to HF for all of the information over the years but no longer can keep up so it is time to check out for awhile. Thank you, Book/Carver

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    Hate to see anyone leave but come back and visit often. So are you looking for more information like car camping?

Hammock
    11' Dutch Hexon Wide
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    JRB Glk3, DIY TQs
    Suspension
    Mltibkles, Dutch
    Images
    I hear ya man. I've been frequenting here less myself. HF has a very...narrow/specific/limited vibe/feel/orientation to it. A few years ago I thought of here as a one stop shop for all things. It's not that, but it's not supposed to be either.

😊 --> smiley face so people know I'm not being malicious

Hammock
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonACraft View Post
    I hear ya man. I've been frequenting here less myself. HF has a very...narrow/specific/limited vibe/feel/orientation to it. A few years ago I thought of here as a one stop shop for all things. It's not that, but it's not supposed to be either.

😊 --> smiley face so people know I'm not being malicious
    I kind of know the feeling as well. I get reprimanded by the moderators for starting thread in the wrong forums and off topic questions that only paid members are supposed to see. We're talking practice, you know practice It shouldn't be so restrictive but hey a site is only as good as it's moderators.

Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    WEB
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TrailSlug View Post
    Hate to see anyone leave but come back and visit often. So are you looking for more information like car camping?
    I am 83 years old so that I usually cross country a short distance and set up a hammock, check the area out, and then test out different ways to prepare a meal with the Bushbuddy and Dans' companion burner. I am interested in different ways that others use to fry and also bake with an alcohol burner. A local resident was feeding up to 15 bears a year ago so that you have to go prepared for vistors.

Hammock
    DH Freebird or Roaming Gnome
    Tarp
    OMW/Tadpole
    Insulation
    UGQ 20F Zeppelin
    Suspension
    Varied
    Images
    Sorry to see anyone go, man,but you gotta do what is best for you. I see the UL stuff, but haven't gotten the sense this place is leaning too far that way. I wallow in the posts for chairs, umbrellas and other "unnecessary" items! I actually feel HF is one of the least judgmental sites I've been on. We do have some folk who are a bit pushy with their opinions, but still a lot better than most forums. Good luck!
    Hobo Off The Ground All Year Round: 8 7
    consecutive months since the start, 9/2015 through 11/2022

Hammock
    Dutch Argon 11', Ridgerunner!
    Tarp
    SLD Custom RR Tarp
    Insulation
    DIY UQ;SPk Cocoon
    Suspension
    Straps/Cinch Bckls
    Yeah a couple times a while back I thought that my comment was rejected or put in the boonies both unreasonably and not politely. I was a real greenhorn then, and was quite put off by what I perceived as HF's insularity.

At the same time, this place is really focused on hammocks and the more interested I have become in hammocks, the more I like it. And the more I appreciate how knowledgeable and helpful posters are. Don't take anyone's comments too seriously.

So if you're not focused like a laser beam on all things hammock, I see why it wouldn't be your cup of tea.
    Last edited by goober; 08-23-2016 at 17:37.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Eighty-three years old! Impressive longevity. HF has changed over the years, and seems to be in somewhat of a lull right now. I'm sure that it will look quite different in a couple of years, just as it is different now from a couple of years ago.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    83! Dang. I hope I'm still visiting message board when I'm 83. Heck I hope I'm still above ground when I'm 83. Congrats on the age and the ability to keep on keeping on.

Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    WEB
    Images
    I was at the second MN winter hang in which everyone was still trying to figure everything out. Out of twenty or so there, only Shug and TZ are still active. I hope that Shug and TZ never fade. It may be that once you get dialed in and are satisfied with your setup, you then tend to dial out.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast